Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple scored 13 Academy Award nominations for Apple TV+ movies Killers of the Flower Moon and Napoleon, doubling its record for Academy Award nominations in a single year.

killers-of-the-flower-moon-apple-tv-plus.jpg

Directed by Martin Scorsese, Killers of the Flower Moon has been nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress in a Leading Role (Lily Gladstone), Best Supporting Actor (Robert De Niro), Best Costume Design, Best Production Design, Best Original Score, Best Original Song, Best Film Editing, and Best Cinematography.

Scorsese has now received 10 total lifetime Academy Award nominations for Best Director, making him the most-nominated living director.

Napoleon, directed by Ridley Scott and starring Joaquin Phoenix, received Academy Award nominations for Best Costume Design, Best Production Design, and Best Visual Effects.

Killers of the Flower Moon will compete against movies that include Barbie, Oppenheimer, Past Lives, Poor Things, and Maestro for Best Picture. It was previously nominated for nine BAFTA awards, and was named Best Film of the Year by the National Board of Review.

Apple won a 2022 Academy Award for CODA and short film The Boy, the Mole, the Fox, and the Horse.

Killers of the Flower Moon is available on Apple TV+ now, while Napoleon will be available to stream on Apple TV+ in the future.

Article Link: Apple Received 13 Academy Award Nominations for Killers of the Flower Moon and Napoleon

Reactions: JapanApple

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
At 81, Martin Scorsese's still got it. IMO, Killers of the Flower Moon is a strong A-tier film. Having said that, it's snubbed for best writing, so probably not going win for Best Picture (Oppenheimer will probably win in that category).

AlastorKatriona

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2023
Killers of the Flower Moon was the second most boring film I have seen all year, right after Oppenheimer. Good grief was this a slog. Somewhere in there was an interesting story, but it just never came to the surface. I'm sure many other people feel the same way, but they feel like they're supposed to like it since it's a Martin Scorsese film with a-list actors.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Killers of the Flower Moon was the second most boring film I have seen all year, right after Oppenheimer. Good grief was this a slog. Somewhere in there was an interesting story, but it just never came to the surface. I'm sure many other people feel the same way, but they feel like they're supposed to like it since it's a Martin Scorsese film with a-list actors.
I haven't seen it yet because i have the same feeling long and boring. Oppenheimer was terrible.

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Still, the Best Picture award will most certainly go to Oppenheimer, so Apple TV+ won’t be a big winner, like last year.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Many of his films are epic in scale, most averaging 2.5 hours run time.

Some of my favorite films of his are Raging Bull, Kundun, and The Age of Innocence, all of which moves at a deliberately slow pace, as to enrich the story and to compound the impact. They are certainly not for everyone, but I for one love them.

Cyberius11

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
I agree with you. I bought the movie, watched like 2 hours of it and was bored out of my mind. I couldn’t go for another 1.5 hours.

AlastorKatriona

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2023
Many of his films are epic in scale, most averaging 2.5 hours run time.

Some of my favorite films of his are Raging Bull, Kundun, and The Age of Innocence, all of which moves at a deliberately slow pace, as to enrich the story and to compound the impact. They are certainly not for everyone, but I for one love them.
You act like they are all one thing. Some of his films are brilliant, absolute masterpieces. This one is not. It's poorly paced and edited, with a subject matter that can barely keep you awake.

lefkonj

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2016
Scorsese needs to figure out how to cut back. The irishman was unwatchable, just way too long and this one is the same. Remove 45 minutes and tighten up the dialogue could seriously improve this movie.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada

I'm reading this as I was about to watch it later tonight. I've been on the fence on whether or not to commit 3+ hours on this.

DeNiro and Lily Gladstone received acting nominations, so I"m hoping the acting is least good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.