Apple Receives FCC Approval for iPhone X Ahead of October 27 Pre-Orders

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 4, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today received approval from the United States Federal Communications Commission for its upcoming iPhone X models, meaning the devices have passed all of the requisite tests and are cleared for sale.

[​IMG]

Since the iPhone X was introduced, Apple's iPhone X product pages have included the following footnote noting that FCC approval had yet to be obtained:
    The FCC must approve all radio-transmitting devices before they are able to be legally sold in the United States, including all iPhones. The FCC's program is designed to ensure that RF devices in the United States "operate effectively," do not cause harmful interference, meet human RF exposure limits, and comply with other FCC rules.

Three iPhone X models have been approved for sale by the FCC, so Apple will now be able to remove that wording from the iPhone X site. FCC approval for the iPhone X comes just over three weeks ahead of when Apple will accept pre-orders for the device.

iPhone X pre-orders will start on Friday, October 27 ahead of an official launch date on November 3.

Supplies of the iPhone X are expected to be heavily constrained due to production issues with the TrueDepth camera used for facial recognition, so the device is likely to be hard to come by for the remainder of 2017 and into the early months of 2018.

Article Link: Apple Receives FCC Approval for iPhone X Ahead of October 27 Pre-Orders

2. newyorksole macrumors 68030

3. Labeno macrumors regular

Labeno

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

5. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Keyword: Is "Wait." But undoubtedly it will be a sought after device.

6. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

7. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Cool. Hurry up fulfilling people's pre orders. I have to try both x and pixel xl 2.maybe if fcc could test out iOS functionality and make it smooth user's experience.

8. TurboPGT! Suspended

Supplies of iPhone X are estimated to be at 12 million come launch, according everyone's favorite Ming Chi Kuo.

So which is it? 12 million is not heavily constrained. For Apple to report 12 million launch weekend sales of 1 particular $1000 model, after already selling probably several million iPhone 8 and 8 Plus, would be unprecedented, and not expected.

9. dstew201 macrumors 6502

dstew201

10. dan9700 macrumors 65816

dan9700

I wish it was the X plus i feel going from a 7 plus to the x its gonna look smaller as screen is thinner its more like the 8 screen but taller so still desiding this or 8 plus

11. Bane-Thunder macrumors 6502

12. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Release the consumers.

13. tito2020 macrumors 6502a

fcc approved ? guess someone at apple fell a sleep

14. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

3 models?

The space grey, the white/silver, and the rumored copper color or is it the 64 and 256 of one color and the 64 of the other?

15. deanthedev macrumors 65816

deanthedev

I’ll be up at 11:59 hitting refresh on my browser until orders are up. Also going to try the Apple Store App in case one comes up before the other.

I hope they don’t have limits (like 1 Phone per order).

16. Oblivious.Robot macrumors 6502a

Oblivious.Robot

Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on one by x'mas to make it "very merry Christmas"! :D

17. 78Bandit macrumors 6502

78Bandit

The word "heavily" is probably not accurate, but I'm betting Apple could sell 25 million on opening weekend if it had that many available. A lot of people are still on 6 and 6S models and will have fulfilled their financing obligations. That is a pretty good base of people who would be ready to order on day one. Supply will easily be constrained through the end of the year and I don't think they will even fulfill all the preorders before December 31. Rumors have the front camera module as the bottleneck in production.

Beyond that is anyone's guess. The people that want a $1,000 phone are going to want it quickly. After six months, with information starting to leak out about an inevitable new model, the number of people willing to drop a cool grand on a phone will start to dwindle rapidly as it becomes better to just wait for something newer and shiner for the same price (or hopefully less). Look for a strong December 31 quarter and possibly a good March 31 quarter as well. After that I expect to see unit sales decline noticeably.

18. DNichter macrumors 603

DNichter

Can't wait. Going to be a nice upgrade from the 7 plus.

19. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

Sticking with the 7 Plus this year, first time not upgrading in 8 years.
    I got the LTE watch and some AirPods instead.
    Hope you guys enjoy your 8/8+/X models this year :D

20. udayan81 macrumors regular

A FCC approval? You can't get it. :p

21. michaelant macrumors regular

michaelant

Whew, what a relief! No one knew if the FCC would approve these strange devices from Apple. Glad that's settled.

22. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

23. Karma*Police macrumors 68000

24. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Well thank goodness for that I suppose!

Would be pricey if they said no!