Apple Receives FCC Approval for iPhone X Ahead of October 27 Pre-Orders

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 4, 2017.

1. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

2. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

I really hope they have limits so guys like you cant block all the phones ;)

3. deany, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

deany macrumors 68030

deany

My best friend, who I introduced to iPhone, from blackberry, has had a 6S die on her. After 17 months of ownership. Apple Liverpool wants £375 "out of Warranty repair".
    This iPhone has been babied, one owner from new.
    Disgraceful.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 4, 2017 ---
    No!
    disappointed
    Yes!

4. pallymore macrumors member

pallymore

my iphone 5s worked great for me.
    But I had to use my warranty for my 6s...twice.
    1st: dead pixels on screen after 10 months of ownership
    2nd: battery doesn't hold charge after a year

5. Tech198 macrumors G4

8 and 8 Plus can can pre-order though cell carriers, but iPhone X just got approved, I guess the "X" will be available to pre order from cell carriers as well, given time. Can't imagine why Apple would restrict this through Apple store only. That could also happen initially... (like , control etc) but then branch out to carriers selling anyway after

6. Wildkraut macrumors 6502

Hmmm too expensive... skipping for now, iP7+ serves me very well...
    Maybe iPhone Xs or XI...

No must have features just shiny bling bling new form

7. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

8. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

12 million for a worldwide release is not constrained? And who knows what the manufacturing rate is now.

9. Cloudkicker macrumors regular

Cloudkicker

Future Gorilla Glue sales were dependent on this. Either that, or call it iPhone Jack-In-The-BOX. "Surprise! Here's your battery."

10. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

That phone is just ugly to me with that notch.

11. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

So you’d rather spend £900 on the Pixel 2 XL or £970 on the Note 8 both then?? Does Google supply he new Pixel 2 in the UK with a free 2 year warranty, or does Samsung with the Note 8??
    Or you could just buy the iPhone X from John Lewis and get a 2 year warranty for no extra cost.....

12. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Coming soon to homes (and some basements) near you & me...

...subbing in ordering iPhone X for Comicon tickets of course. But I pretty much picture this kind of scene playing out all over the world at the big moment.

Who dares to tell me it's not like that where you are (give or take 2-4 other friends being there too)?

13. Tech198 macrumors G4

I always learn any phone will be constraint... It's impossible to "make enough" and never have bottlenecks with the current load... Unless you hire more people,,, build more factories etc and that's all assuming the constraint isn't the supplier itself/chip maker etc..

14. fokmik macrumors 65816

that 1 year warranty is an international one. In many countries we have at least 2 years

15. EdT macrumors 6502a

EdT

Gotta be somewhere on the west coast. 2:00 am here. Not sure that I'm buying one now.

16. deany macrumors 68030

deany

John Lewis do indeed offer a 2 year warranty as the afore mentioned do, sans apple.
    However JLP take up to 28 days to repair iPhone as we have recently found out, to our dismay....still waiting 3 1/2 weeks on.

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Note: you don't actually give a phone to the FCC, and they don't do the testing. Nobody wants to waste time with something that might fail.

So before production begins, you've already paid a certified lab run all the necessary tests and you've passed. At that point you're virtually guaranteed to get certified.

Those results are given to a TCB (Telecommunication Certification Body), which is sometimes co-located with the lab (but not allowed to be the same party) for convenience. The TCB looks over the tests and has the authority to issue an FCC certification. I believe that you can request that certification publication wait until a certain date if you wish.

The upshot is that there's no mystery involved as to whether or not a device will be certified. All that is worked out ahead of time, and the only thing that could change that is if a design change occurred after testing was done.

18. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Not in UK its 12 months, love to know where apple offer the 2 year Warranty...Equatorial Guinea?

19. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

We have an original, launch day iPhone from June 2007 that still works. We have 2 people here using the 6s, over 2 years old each, both still work. My inlaws have the 5s and the 5c and those are 3 and 4 years old... still work.

Anecdotally, I can tell you I have had ONE iPhone quit on me out of warranty, but the Apple Store replaced it for me free. This was somewhere around iPhone 4S, I do believe.

I just buy the AC+ because I resell my phones and people prefer to have it available if they need it.

20. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Yep, I had an iPhone die one me around iPhone 4 or 5 .... apple Liverpool were great, replaced with NEW (not referb)....
    However I regret to let you know apple are not as flexible in 2017, shame but true. 1st hand experience.
    Cheers

21. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Ajit probably wants a couple of Xs before Christmas, for him and his better half :D

22. JPack macrumors 6502a

JPack

This quashes the idea where some people had suggested the FCC was holding up the iPhone X launch.

What excuses are left?

23. deany macrumors 68030

deany

When I was a kid, in the 70's there was a program called Playaway https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play_Away, any one rembemer it was on BBC.
    This phone reminds me of a childs TV program.
    If Jonny scivving (shirking) off down the Pub nowadays?

24. B4U macrumors 65816

B4U

Still debating which color to get...hopefully the 3 approved models are the colors that I may take.