Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, Apple released an update for Boot Camp, its utility for running Windows on a Mac. While this update would typically be unremarkable, several of our readers noticed that the release notes reference an unreleased 2020 model of the 16-inch MacBook Pro.

16-inch-macbook-pro-apple.jpg

While this could easily be a mistake, the 16-inch MacBook Pro is nearly a year old, so it is certainly a worthy candidate for a refresh in the near future. Apple did release a new high-end graphics option for the 16-inch MacBook Pro in June, but it still refers to all configurations of the notebook as 2019 models on its website.

16-inch-macbook-pro-2020-boot-camp-1.jpg
Boot Camp release notes via Atharva Kale

Apple's release notes for Boot Camp version 6.1.13:
The Boot Camp 6.1.13 update improves the compatibility of your Mac when running Windows through Boot Camp.

This update:

- Improves audio recording quality when using the built-in microphone

- Fixes a stability issue that could occur during heavy CPU load on 16-inch MacBook Pro (2019 and 2020) and 13-inch MacBook Pro (2020)

Introduced in November 2019, the 16-inch MacBook Pro features slimmer bezels, a Magic Keyboard with a more reliable scissor mechanism, 9th-generation Intel Core processors, up to 64GB of RAM, up to 8TB of SSD storage, AMD Radeon Pro 5000M series graphics, and upgraded speakers and microphones. Pricing starts at $2,399.

Rumors suggest that Apple may be planning to host another event on November 17 to introduce its first Mac with a custom Apple Silicon processor, but it is believed that this transition will begin at the lower end for notebooks, such as the MacBook Air, 13-inch MacBook Pro, or possibly even the return of an ultra-portable 12-inch MacBook.

(Thanks, Çağatay!)

Article Link: Apple References Unreleased 2020 16-Inch MacBook Pro in Boot Camp Update

Reactions: martyjmclean

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Yes! I have been waiting for too long!

What excites me the most about ARM Macs is what the basic A-line chips can do in a tiny enclosure... Now imagine that with an active cooling system, larger chasis, more cores, more RAM, more GPU, now we are talking.

Edit: I got excited too quickly, this points to an Intel release. :(

Last edited:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
So being its an update for bootcamp, we can say its gonna be Intel and not Apple Silcon. Also can this be 11th gen? or will it be 10th gen only. I know 11th gen CPUs are out for smaller laptops but not sure for more powerhouse laptops.
I think you are right. While Apple and Microsoft could always partner and release Windows for Apple Silicon (ARM), one last 16-inch MacBook Pro, which is used by many professionals that depend on running Windows (either via VM or Boot Camp), is far more likely.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Yes! I have been waiting for too long!

What excites me the most about ARM Macs is what the basic A-line chips can do in a tiny enclosure... Now imagine that with an active cooling system, larger chasis, more cores, more RAM, more GPU, now we are talking.
Unfortunately as this relates to boot camp it is going to be the last Intel 16“ MacBookpro rather than ARM.

hoorayforhollywood

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2017
This could be the last Intel release but more likely a mistake? We've got 2 months left of 2020 which Apple will surely want to be dominated by the release of 1 or more Apple Silicon Macs. That said, an Apple Silicon 16" MBP is likely a year away with the A15.... Interesting.

carlos700

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2004
Omaha, NE
I have no idea what they would even update. The 10th-gen Comet Lake H chips are just 100MHz increase at best on boost speeds. There are no new mobile GPUs. Maybe more memory?

Reactions: V.K.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
This could be the last Intel release but more likely a mistake? We've got 2 months left of 2020 which Apple will surely want to be dominated by the release of 1 or more Apple Silicon Macs. That said, an Apple Silicon 16" MBP is likely a year away with the A15.... Interesting.

Considering 10th-gen Intel is a minor update, Apple will just push this out silently. It won’t detract from Apple’s ARM hoo-ha.

Reactions: martyjmclean

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
The 16-inch Macbook Pro was "updated" to be configurable to have Radeon Pro 5600M in June 2020. Maybe Apple considered this a sufficient spec-bump to warrant the year designation? In other words, could that be the "2020" model Apple is referring to?

It could be, but they are using Gen 9 Intel chips, if they were to update I presume bringing the latest chips would be the most sound decision. Yes the performance increase is not the greatest but the heat management has been reported to be better, also the basic graphics is better.

Reactions: tfresquezdxs

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
The 16-inch Macbook Pro was "updated" to be configurable to have Radeon Pro 5600M in June 2020. Maybe Apple considered this a sufficient spec-bump to warrant the year designation? In other words, could that be the "2020" model Apple is referring to?

Almost certainly not. Apple uses its year designations sparingly. They haven’t indicated a new graphics option warrants a new year moniker for the 16” anywhere else, or for any other Mac either as far as I’m aware!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.