Apple Registers Five New iPad Models Running iPadOS in Eurasian Database

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 10, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has registered five unreleased iPad models in the Eurasian Economic Commission database today, including A2068, A2197, A2198, A2228, A2230, according to listings uncovered by MySmartPrice and confirmed by MacRumors.

[​IMG]

All of the iPad models are listed as running iPadOS:

[​IMG]

On the more imminent front, a recent rumor suggested that mass production of a new 10.2-inch iPad was set to begin this month, so a launch could be near. The 10.2-inch model, dubbed the iPad 7, is expected to be a slightly larger, slimmer bezel successor to the low-cost 9.7-inch iPad, which was last updated in March 2018.

The source of the 10.2-inch iPad rumor, CoinX, has an accurate track record. The mystery account previously tweeted the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR names of the 2018 iPhones before anyone else, and also accurately revealed the 10.5-inch iPad Air, the 2018 iPad Pro being 5.9mm thick, and more.

Looking farther out, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has claimed that two new iPad Pro models will enter mass production in the fourth quarter of 2019 or the first quarter of 2020. The current iPad Pro models were released in October 2018.

Eurasian Economic Commission filings like these have foreshadowed the release of new Apple products on numerous occasions, including multiple iPad, iPad Pro, iPhone, Mac, Apple Watch, and AirPods models. The filings are legally required for any encrypted devices sold in Russia and select other countries.

Article Link: Apple Registers Five New iPad Models Running iPadOS in Eurasian Database

2. Blackstick macrumors 6502a

Blackstick

Exciting news, Sept/October release perhaps?

3. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Is Ming-Chi Kuo right again? I wasn’t expecting new iPad Pros until 2020 but perhaps new 6 GB models will come by the end of 2019. That’s what MCK was predicting.

One can only hope the Pros will start at 128 GB too this time around, but I’m not optimistic.

Even better would be August to make use of the back to school deal but even October seems optimistic for a new iPad Pro. I’d love to get an early surprise though.

4. Cosmosent macrumors 6502a

Will iPads running iPadOS be able to run iOS 13 apps ???

I naturally assume they will be able to run Universal iOS 12 apps.

5. HiVolt macrumors 6502a

HiVolt

Man, Apple is just changing up the ipads like crazy the last few years... what was wrong with the 9.7" being the low cost version? now you will have 10.2", then 10.5" air, 11" pro?

Way too much confusion of what's what.

6. rp2011 macrumors 65816

rp2011

Yikes, I bought the 2018 iPad Pro last week because of iPad OS, and had figured a new iPad Pro wasn’t in cards until next year.

7. radiology macrumors 6502

radiology

8. JPack macrumors 601

JPack

9. JetTester macrumors 6502

So many models! Maybe a little consolidation is in order. Love my 2018 iPad Air!

10. Baerok macrumors member

Baerok

iPad OS shares the same foundations as iOS. It was just given a different name for marketing reasons to emphasize the new features coming in September.

11. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

Assuming the 10.2" is one model that is definitely happening, 2-3 will be wi-fi and cellular variants of that, which leaves 2-3 unaccounted for, perhaps the rumoured OLED 11"?

12. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Couldn’t the earlier referenced new 10.x” model be the 10.5” Air?

There is no such product. 2019 Air?

Who is predicting an OLED model?

13. onespeedvelo macrumors newbie

It feels like a bit early for the new iPad Pro. The iPad 9.7" still had the A10 processor so it was due for a refresh. It will be likely a minor announcement like the MBP 13" this week. Now I hope new iPads will be announced this autumn with the new processors!

14. DrJohnnyN macrumors 65816

DrJohnnyN

15. jjohnstonjr macrumors regular

jjohnstonjr

I've been debating on if I was going to upgrade from my 6th gen soon and chances are I will be now.

16. JPack macrumors 601

JPack

Yes, you could be right.

Now that I look carefully, I think these 5 registrations are more likely to be 10.2" iPad. A single iPad model has 4 model numbers: U.S., China, Global, and no-GPS model. With 5 model numbers, that's only enough for a single iPad model.

17. Martius macrumors 6502

Martius

Oh, I hope they will release iPad Pro with more solid internal structure, because that bending issue is the only reason I didn't buy the new iPad Pro last year.

18. havenyoung macrumors regular

havenyoung

I do believe this 10.2" iPad is gonna be the successor of the 9.7" iPad.
    Then the 9.7' size is going to be completely phased out.

19. HacKage macrumors 6502

So the 9.7" is now going to be the 10.2", that makes sense. The 10.5" Pro got dropped and turned into the 11" Pro, but they're now bringing out a 10.5" non Pro? That makes no sense whatsoever. The difference between 9.7" iPad 6 with pencil support and 11" Pro was enough to merit the extra cost and spec bump etc. but if they are going to bring out a 10.5" with pencil support and presumably uprated CPU, why would you go for an 11" Pro?

It seems Apple is going down the route of the car manufacturers. Sales are dropping, so we better release as many new models as possible that are all pretty much the same, just with a slightly sloping roofline on the new model.

20. Mizouse macrumors regular

No..... Needs to be a screen size smaller than 10.1 inches so I can use MS Word or Excel for free (with an account).

Or... MS needs to remove that arbitrary limit. :mad:

21. tegranjeet macrumors member

tegranjeet

Anyone think these new iPad models could be a newer design like the iPad Pros? 2nd generation Apple Pencil support maybe?

22. Swazaloo macrumors regular

Why not use Pages and Numbers? They have less bloat and are easier to use.

23. dominiongamma macrumors 68000

What would you add that is useful and not gimmicky ? Software is where ipad is improving

24. twocents, Jul 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2019

twocents macrumors regular

twocents

Man, like everyone else in the MR forums/trenches I would like to think I am pretty informed on Apple products and services. But for keeping up on the iPad line including the mini 5 at 7.9", budget model at 9.7", iPad Air 3 and 2017 Pro at 10.5", 11" Face ID iPad Pro, 1st and 2nd gen iPad Pro at 12.9", Face ID iPad Pro at 12.9", and now a 10.2" and 10.5" non-pro iPad which is somehow different than the current 10.5" Air... I'm actually having to read over this a couple times just to be clear. Try imaging a regular customer now trying to go in and by an iPad..

25. jonblatho macrumors 6502a

jonblatho

iPadOS is just a marketing name. It’s still iOS.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 10, 2019 ---
    Well, considering they only currently sell iPad, iPad mini, iPad Air, and iPad Pros (with Face ID, all earlier models have been discontinued), it’s actually not nearly as difficult as you deliberately made it out to be. The 10.5” iPad mentioned by CoinX is the iPad Air.