Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today registered two unreleased iPad models in the Eurasian Economic Commission (EEC) database, using the model identifiers A2200 and A2232, according to listings uncovered by MySmartPrice and confirmed by MacRumors.

ipadairgold.jpg

Both iPad models are listed as running iPadOS, suggesting the devices will launch this fall.

The two identifiers follow five other new iPad model numbers that were added to the database earlier this month. As with the previous identifiers, it's unclear which models these numbers refer to, but it's worth noting that Apple has already released a new iPad mini and 10.5-inch iPad Air this year.

That leaves possible revisions to Apple's two iPad Pro models, which analyst Ming-Chi Kuo expects will enter mass production in the fourth quarter of 2019 or the first quarter of 2020.

There's also the prospect of a potential successor to the entry-level $329 iPad: A recent rumor suggested mass production of a new 10.2-inch iPad was set to start this month, so a launch could in the offing this fall.

ipad-2019-models-late-july-eec.jpg

In addition to today's iPad filings, Apple also registered several Mac models, but all of them reference machines that are already available, suggesting the filings are simply being updated to reflect models shipping with macOS Catalina, also due to be released in the fall.

Similar EEC filings have preceded the launch of new Apple products on numerous occasions, including multiple iPad, iPad Pro, iPhone, Mac, Apple Watch, and AirPods models. The filings are legally required for any encrypted devices sold in Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Russia.

Article Link: Apple Registers Two More iPad Models in Eurasian Database

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

Roscorito

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2018
7 iPads???

Some of them have just got to be the new pros then. Dammit, that 18 month upgrade cycle was much easier on the wallet.

Regarding the macs registered with existing codes, has that ever happened in the Eurasian database before? Any theories what that’s about?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Welcome the new iPad and iPad Pros.

The old 18 month cycle may have made sense when Apple was focused on iPhone. With iPadOS, it’s doubtful Apple would simply keep the existing lineup without a refresh and call it a day.

Reactions: Never mind

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I guess releasing all these new models makes sense if they really want to push the iPad Pro as a replacement for the 12" MacBook when iPad OS arrives. If the new 9.7" iPad is increased in size to 10.2" that might be to make it big enough for a smart keyboard so it can get in on the game as well.

sledgehammer89

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
They can offer 1000s of iPad versions. Even with iPadOS the iPads are too much restricted. Apple cheat with iOS 13, don't tell the details. For example Apple say "automation" in Shortcuts App, but every automation is just a reminder. User interaction is needed. This is far away from running Shortcuts scripts automatically.
Also USB drive support feels cheated. It's slow as hell with Lightning iPads (Pro 10.5") and most of my tested devices require the power supply connected.

(thumbs down)

Last edited:

GoodWheaties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
My guess would be either a slightly updated 9.7” model or smaller FaceID Pro model. Or possibly combing the 9.7” and 10.5” into one. WiFi and GPS for the two different models. But who knows.

Reactions: dominiongamma

onespeedvelo

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2015
hope for an iPad Pro. I would have bought one of this year's new iPad mini and 10.5-inch iPad Air but the compatibility with the old pencil only was a bit too limiting. Now I really hope to get an iPad with an A13X processor.

Reactions: Populus

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
So, if we count the previous five models, this make a total of 7 new iPad models to be released in the future, right? Probably next October. So that means, new iPad Pros at the end of this year, right? I'm so excited to see if they improve the memory and the storage, as well as the casing and maybe the screen. I'm not fan of OLED, because of the eye strain that many people has complained on the iPhone X forums, but... maybe they solved the way they dim the screen.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
It’s always so tough to decide…

Should I go with a 9.7” or the new 10.2”?
But what about a 10.5” - hmm
...or should I go up to the 11”?

You know what - I’m gonna just wait for a 9.9” I think.
I had considered waiting for a 10.1”, but that is clearly way too big.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.