Apple Registers Two More iPad Models in Eurasian Database

jonblatho

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2014
Missouri
Also USB drive support feels cheated. It's slow as hell with Lightning iPads (Pro 10.5")
Well, yeah. Lightning is a slow port compared to USB-C (which is often but not always used over USB 3.x), capped at USB 2.0 speeds for all devices except the first- and second-generation 12.9" iPad Pro models.

unchecked

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2008
A Mini Pro with USB-C at 3/4 the price of the current Pro would be a good starting point for the Lightning -> USB-C transition.

brinary001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
I was about to buy my first iPad in 3+ years and then I saw this. I had the first little Pro that Apple put out some years ago, but sold it earlier this year.

Definitely waiting now to see what happens in the fall...

PickUrPoison

Suspended
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
A Mini Pro with USB-C at 3/4 the price of the current Pro would be a good starting point for the Lightning -> USB-C transition.
Not sure what you mean by starting point; the Pro models have already transitioned to USB-C.

Also, I don’t expect Apple to make a mini Pro, though I would be first in line to buy one. I just don’t think there is a sufficiently large market for it.

pdaholic

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2011
Only thing I want in a new IPP is a back-lit keyboard (and maybe trackpad). Maybe we will see that in the next 5 years. Otherwise my 11" with IpadOS is the perfect laptop replacement for me.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
7 iPads???

Some of them have just got to be the new pros then. Dammit, that 18 month upgrade cycle was much easier on the wallet.

Regarding the macs registered with existing codes, has that ever happened in the Eurasian database before? Any theories what that’s about?
You don’t need to buy every singe iPad Apple has ever released.

And Apple can register however many iPad models they see fit. So yeah. No theories here.
maybe they solved the way they dim the screen.
I highly doubt it. But given that LED is operated based on PWM, I don’t know how Apple will deal with this, as OLED is still, well, a variation of LED.

Wait. LED light is operated in PWM because their input power is AC. Why on earth Apple uses PWM on display when input power is DC?

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
I’ll feel annoyed if they update the Pros faster than usual by releasing new ones in October

pika2000

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2007
I’m hoping for a non Pro 12.9”
There are times where I think a larger iPad would be better than my current 10.5” Pro, but I don’t need it to be a Pro model. One running a regular A12 with the older pencil support would be sufficient. Hopefully this is one of those 7 new ones.

MorphMan

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2013
The iPad range is too fragmented. Keep it simple Apple. I've always had iPads but i got confused with the range and started looking at Samsung and thinking why not...

Menthol

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2013
I would like a bezel less iPad mini :)
Speaking of bezels, I recently bought an iPad Air. It's a lovely piece of hardware but because of the narrow bezels on the side I find it awkward to hold without my thumb covering part of the screen. On a mini, the lack of bezels would be fine because you can get your hand around the whole thing and rest it against your palm. And for a laptop or desktop, obviously, narrow or no bezels is not an issue. But I have to say, for the iPad Air, it's not *quite* comfortable. Hardly a huge deal, but it just feels a little "off" from a design standpoint.

Reactions: freddiecable

MX20

Suspended
Sep 28, 2018
In 2019, Tim Cook is going to bring even more fragmentation to the product line and discontinue a few model. NO NEW BLOCKBUSTER PRODUCT FROM THE BOSS FOR ALMOST A DECADE.

unchecked

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2008
Not sure what you mean by starting point; the Pro models have already transitioned to USB-C.

Also, I don’t expect Apple to make a mini Pro, though I would be first in line to buy one. I just don’t think there is a sufficiently large market for it.
The main problem with the Pro models is the cost and that makes USB-C look like a premium feature. Hopefully they can give USB-C to less pricey products to finally make USB-C mainstream.

Bawstun

macrumors 68000
Jun 25, 2009
iPad Pro, iPad mini Pro, iPad Pro Pro, iPad Pro Pro Pro 15”, iPad micro Pro 4”, iPad Prooooo and iPad Probably Pro.
This would be funny if it weren’t so true. How many studies have they done that show sales improve with less choice? This extends even to food. Too much choice and customers always feel let down with what they chose - it’s some psychological effect of “being wrong” or like they should have chosen something different.

There are too many iPad models, there just is. They need to have 4, tops. Maaaaaaybe 5. That’s about the sweet spot of choice according to the research. This is crazy!
[doublepost=1564284681][/doublepost]
Product fragmentation much? Ridiculous.
Tim Cook has been an unmitigated disaster for Apple’s products and design. Nobody sees this because of how he’s driven up the stock, but he has. It’s a total mess.
[doublepost=1564284821][/doublepost]
I’m ready for a cull in the leadership at the top
Tim Cook should have been replaced after the battery and slowgate disaster. Or the failed butterfly keyboards. Or hiring Angela to ruin the Apple Store experience. Or or or. You get the idea. All of the top talent has fled the company because Tim Cook is not an innovator. It is time. Apple needs a designer at the top again.

ZGXtreme

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
Let me add to the Mini Pro list. Powerful enough for conferences and work but compact for the cockpit.

PickUrPoison

Suspended
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I’ll feel annoyed if they update the Pros faster than usual by releasing new ones in October
I’d be extremely surprised to see Apple update the iPad Pro models before next April or even October 2020 (waiting for the A14X). The current ones are beasts and are hardly begging for an upgrade.

Reactions: smulji

PickUrPoison

Suspended
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
This would be funny if it weren’t so true. How many studies have they done that show sales improve with less choice? This extends even to food. Too much choice and customers always feel let down with what they chose - it’s some psychological effect of “being wrong” or like they should have chosen something different.

There are too many iPad models, there just is. They need to have 4, tops. Maaaaaaybe 5. That’s about the sweet spot of choice according to the research. This is crazy!
[doublepost=1564284681][/doublepost]

Tim Cook has been an unmitigated disaster for Apple’s products and design. Nobody sees this because of how he’s driven up the stock, but he has. It’s a total mess.
[doublepost=1564284821][/doublepost]

Tim Cook should have been replaced after the battery and slowgate disaster. Or the failed butterfly keyboards. Or hiring Angela to ruin the Apple Store experience. Or or or. You get the idea. All of the top talent has fled the company because Tim Cook is not an innovator. It is time. Apple needs a designer at the top again.
There are effectively three models to choose from; no one is going to mistake or be confused about the mini vs. a $999+ 13” iPad Pro beast. No one is cross-shopping them either.

Do you really think people are too stupid to select between good/better/best at price points of $329/499/799? Again, no one cross-shops the $329 budget model vs. the iPad Pro. If you’ve got $800+ to drop on a 10-11” tablet, sure buy the 11” Pro. Or the 13” for that matter.

For those having trouble deciding between the entry level model and the Air, it’s not really all that complicated. As I said upthread:

If price is a big issue, you want the $329 iPad. If you’ve got an extra $200, the Air is a little faster, has a much better front camera and has a bigger, better, brighter screen.
I mean really. This is hardly the problem of 70 different brands of jam and jelly at Trader Joe’s. The idea that people are too stupid or so easily confused that they’re overwhelmed by the iPad lineup is a ridiculous talking point.

So play it out. You want four models (or five? That’s the current lineup btw). Which model would you discontinue? The mini? The 13” Pro? Does that in any way make selecting among three price-segmented 10-11” tablets any easier? Is there any advantage whatsoever to customers to doing that?

Maybe you want to dump the Air. Really? Only have the $299 education-targeted base model and the $799 11” Pro? Again, how would customers benefit from that (lack of) choice? If you don’t have $800+ to drop on a tablet, you’re stuck with cost-reduced, low-end iPad? Or a mini? Yikes. Makes no sense.

As for the Cook-bashing, it’s all been said before. :rolleyes:

Last edited: