Apple Registers Two More iPad Models in Eurasian Database

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
All these iPad models are getting a little dizzying. I think the iPad lineup is getting set for a cull in 2020 like the Mac lineup this year.

Gasu E.

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
phew, i really needed more iPad sizes. But, I'm still holding out for the 8.5", 10.35", and the 11.286" models.
I don't need more sizes, I need the right size. For me.
[doublepost=1564256452][/doublepost]
All these iPad models are getting a little dizzying. I think the iPad lineup is getting set for a cull in 2020 like the Mac lineup this year.
The iPad market is different than the PC market. iPad usage models are such that it makes sense to keep older models around and lower the price. Old iPad models are fine for people who just want access to the web, for example. Or need one to dedicate to a single application.
[doublepost=1564256623][/doublepost]
Product fragmentation much? Ridiculous.
Why? What do you think is the downside here?

Reactions: AdonisSMU

Regbial

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Here we go bois... :cool:

glad I waited to buy an iPad to replace my iPad 2

hopefully they will update the cheapest model

Reactions: Saipher

deconstruct60

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2009
Apple today registered two unreleased iPad models in the Eurasian Economic Commission (EEC) database, using the model identifiers A2200 and A2232,

The two identifiers follow five other new iPad model numbers that were added to the database earlier this month. As with the previous identifiers, it's unclear which models these numbers refer to, but it's worth noting that Apple has already released a new iPad mini and 10.5-inch iPad Air this year.
The Apple Identify Your iPad model page has four model numbers for the 3rd generation iPad Pro 12.9" product. A1876 , A2014 , A1895 , A1983 . That appears to be some quirkiness spawned by needing slightly different firmware for the Intel modem for different regions.

If Apple is sticking with Intel Modems on some of the new iPads then that could soak up several of the 7 numbers relatively fast. Unless, they have a better modem+firmware solution from Intel at this point, the previous iPad Pro models soaked up 8 number all by themselves. So there is a chance another one could pop out and this would just be two iPad Pros. However, assuming things have gotten a bit better:

A2068

A2197
A2198

A2220
A2228
A2230
A2232

The numbers grouped by order ( which may not be by product) can be two groups of Wi-Fi versus Cellular models and one outlier. Or one model with 3 variation of cellular + one Wifi (the group of 4). Another model with a much more universal cellular modem (group of 2 ) . And one with just Wi-FI.

I wouldn't be surprised if the discount, low cost, version only came in Wi-Fi ( if upgrade the screen but keep the low price probably looking to kneecap it somehow). An iPad Pro 11.1" with perhaps a Qualcomm modem (that Apple had cooking just in case got back with Qualcomm so could finish this year. It is just data, no voice to requirements easier. ) . Finally a iPad Pro 12.9 with some Intel modems to soak up that modem contract and not have to refactor the modem subsystem late in the design roll out process. ( bigger battery in 12.9" model has more slack for modem with higher power draw, but bite the bullet on the smaller, thinner model. )

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I mean, it’s not that hard, yall..

iPad mini — 7.9”
iPad — now at 10.2”
iPad Air — 10.5”
iPad Pro — 11” and 12.9”

The iPad and iPad Pros are new models, so they need to be listed in the database.

I personally was looking at the iPad Air, but it’s a bit steep starting at $499 and me wanting to move to a cellular iPad from the wifi iPad 6 I have now. Of course, the iPad Pro is more than I need. An A12 iPad 7 that starts at 64GB would be a godsend, but I’m not holding my breath on that storage. Would really like to have the laminated display too, but then the Air differentiation would be lessened. Nonetheless, we shall see.

ksec

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2015
As per last thread, if iPad uses Qualcomm Modem, it will have one Model for Cellular, and one for WiFi. If it was Intel it would have three Model for Cellular, and one for Wifi.

And we still haven't figure out the last model that is odd one out.
[doublepost=1564260709][/doublepost]
The Apple Identify Your iPad model page has four model numbers for the 3rd generation iPad Pro 12.9" product. A1876 , A2014 , A1895 , A1983 . That appears to be some quirkiness spawned by needing slightly different firmware for the Intel modem for different regions.

If Apple is sticking with Intel Modems on some of the new iPads then that could soak up several of the 7 numbers relatively fast. Unless, they have a better modem+firmware solution from Intel at this point, the previous iPad Pro models soaked up 8 number all by themselves. So there is a chance another one could pop out and this would just be two iPad Pros. However, assuming things have gotten a bit better:

A2068

A2197
A2198

A2220
A2228
A2230
A2232

The numbers grouped by order ( which may not be by product) can be two groups of Wi-Fi versus Cellular models and one outlier. Or one model with 3 variation of cellular + one Wifi (the group of 4). Another model with a much more universal cellular modem (group of 2 ) . And one with just Wi-FI.

I wouldn't be surprised if the discount, low cost, version only came in Wi-Fi ( if upgrade the screen but keep the low price probably looking to kneecap it somehow). An iPad Pro 11.1" with perhaps a Qualcomm modem (that Apple had cooking just in case got back with Qualcomm so could finish this year. It is just data, no voice to requirements easier. ) . Finally a iPad Pro 12.9 with some Intel modems to soak up that modem contract and not have to refactor the modem subsystem late in the design roll out process. ( bigger battery in 12.9" model has more slack for modem with higher power draw, but bite the bullet on the smaller, thinner model. )
Or there could be a possibility of the upcoming Intel 7660 Modem only requires 1 Model for Cellular instead of the current 3.

In that case, the A22 will be iPad Pro in two screen size, Wifi and Cellular.

The A21 will be iPad Air, WiFi and Cellular.

And the A20 will be simply iPad with no Cellular option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Niklas_nick

deconstruct60

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2009
Honestly, 9,95" would be the perfect size

/s
that may be where the 10.2" comes from versus the 10.5". The 10.5" iPad Air (2019) and iPad Pro 10.5" are slightly bigger. 9.8" in height instead of 9.4" for the iPad 2018. Similar to width where it is 6.8 versus 6.6 If they capped the height to fit in same height dimensions then probably needed to shave something off the screen to keep the front camera. Loose some small incremental vertical and horizontal pixels and the diagonal would shrink slightly too.
[doublepost=1564261266][/doublepost]
Maybe the rumored 10.2" iPad IS the bezel-less entry-level iPad. Just maybe.
Bezel-less probably not. Smaller bezels probably so. Doubtful it is a notched screen at discount prices.
Will though need more thumb and finger on what would have been he bezel protections though.

Probably loosing more side then top/bottom in bezel.

If sticking to same case the 10.5" won't quite fit and would only have space in whatever could get out of the shrinking the bezels more.

P.S. also probably a good excuse to keep the front facing camera small and cheap as there is no room.

Last edited:

zombierunner

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2011
UK
Well, I just bought the iPad Pro 12.9 today thinking the new Pros wouldn’t be out till March or April 2020. Should I return it?

deconstruct60

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2009
As per last thread, if iPad uses Qualcomm Modem, it will have one Model for Cellular, and one for WiFi. If it was Intel it would have three Model for Cellular, and one for Wifi.

And we still haven't figure out the last model that is odd one out.
[doublepost=1564260709][/doublepost]

Or there could be a possibility of the upcoming Intel 7660 Modem only requires 1 Model for Cellular instead of the current 3.

In that case, the A22 will be iPad Pro in two screen size, Wifi and Cellular.

The A21 will be iPad Air, WiFi and Cellular.

And the A20 will be simply iPad with no Cellular option.
if the Intel 7660 is getting rid of the model number bloat problem then a possibility of

A20 iPad and no Cellular option. ( bumped to A11 instead of A12 )

A21 iPad Air and iPad Mini ( chucking that model bloat for both, but keeping their A12 SoC so no need Wi-Fi + Celluar model)

A22 Pro in the two screen sizes with Wi-Fi and Cellular. (so four)

If chucking the older dubious Intel modems out of the iPad Air might as well chuck it from the Mini also.

That also lines up with Apple putting max orders for one part across multiple product lines. ( trying to drive enough volume at Intel to keep them interested in 2018 to plow $2B into the modems. ). Also with an possible expectation that the 7660 would have been ready in early 2019 for use but the deadlines got completely blown.

If Apple in the middle of a modem purge then all the more reason to skip the low cost iPad Celluar option now. ( they could add later in the Spring. The cruel twist would be if there was a glut of the older dubious ones Apple had to consume (bound by contract) that the iPad could be going into model number bloat mode now while the rest are getting out. )

The Air being bumped to an A13 and modem update smells more of undershooting on the iPhones at launch and a major demand forecasting issue. I suspect Apple is going to keep the Air and Mini in the early Spring to "mop up" what they don't used in iPhone SoC in case there is a forecast demand mismatch. They won't likely get updated now. But I can see them dumping modems they are mainly dissatisfied with in a massive move.

Perhaps the Air is moving to A13 because the iPad is moving to A12. The Mini goes back into comatose mode with a funky modem ( or used as part of the Spring 'mop up' collection). That wouldn't be all that surprising too.

PickUrPoison

macrumors 601
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I don't need more sizes, I need the right size. For me.

[doublepost=1564256623][/doublepost]

Some posters here think others are too stupid to choose between three models—good/better/best at 10-11 inches—which are priced at $329/499/799.

Realistically, for many price makes the decision for them.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2018
Can you explain to a non tech savvy person in less than 1 minute the difference between the iPad and the iPad Air? I myself was trying to decide which iPad to give my dad some time ago and I couldn't decide.

The regular iPad is the iPad for everyone. For everything else, iPad Pro? I don't know.

Steve Jobs had set this up perfectly. 1 consumer line, 1 Pro line. And that's it. Why can't we just go back to that???

PickUrPoison

macrumors 601
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Can you explain to a non tech savvy person in less than 1 minute the difference between the iPad and the iPad Air? I myself was trying to decide which iPad to give my dad some time ago and I couldn't decide.

The regular iPad is the iPad for everyone. For everything else, iPad Pro? I don't know.

Steve Jobs had set this up perfectly. 1 consumer line, 1 Pro line. And that's it. Why can't we just go back to that???
It’s really pretty simple. Like 10 seconds simple:

If price is a big issue, you want the $329 iPad. If you’ve got an extra $200, the Air is a little faster, has a much better front camera and has a bigger, better, brighter screen.​

I don’t see how eliminating the Air is good for customers (or Apple). If you can afford it, it’s worth it. It’s a better user experience than the entry-level iPad, which is targeted to education and those who are price sensitive/on a budget.

Last edited: