Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside its slew of product announcements yesterday, Apple registered several new web domains related to the term "Magic Keyboard", including applemagickeyboard.com, applemagickeyboard.net, and applemagickeyboards.com.

smartkeyboard.jpg
Apple's Smart Keyboard for iPad Pro

While Apple did announce a new keyboard cover for the upcoming iPad Pro at yesterday's event, the product is called Smart Keyboard. It is possible Apple is simply looking to secure domains similar to the Smart Keyboard name, but perhaps a more likely possibility is that it is the name for Apple's upcoming wireless keyboard revealed in regulatory filings last month.

Apple already offers a Magic Mouse and a Magic Trackpad, and last month's FCC filings revealed a "Magic Mouse 2" name for the upgraded accessory, so it seems reasonable Apple could be looking to introduce a "Magic Keyboard." The publicly released portion of the filing for the keyboard did not, however, reveal any new "magical" features as it only showed a bottom view of the accessory for the purpose of illustrating where regulatory labels would be displayed.

wireless-keyboard-fcc-800x345.jpg
Image from Apple's FCC filing for new wireless keyboard

Aside from the newly registered domains, we've been unable to find any other references linking Apple to the "Magic Keyboard" name. Searches of trademark databases for many countries did not reveal any such filings that could be plausibly linked to Apple.

It remains to be seen when Apple will introduce its new keyboard and mouse revealed in the FCC filings, but it could possibly come alongside new 21.5-inch Retina 4K iMacs that are just going into production ahead of a release later this year.

Article Link: Apple Registers Web Domains Related to 'Magic Keyboard'

ArisGreek

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2013
So...it's a Microsoft Surface keyboard? :) A magic keyboard with a magic pencil. I love Apple but I feel like they are losing steam without Steve Jobs. Now all I need is a magic carpet to explore a whole new world...

Last edited:

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Probably just a normal bluetooth keyboard with BT 4.0.
I was hoping Apple would introduce the new keyboard at yesterday keynote.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Last edited:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I would be quite interested in seeing—but hesitant about buying—a uniform peice of glass that uses haptic feedback to emigrate the feeling of typing on a keyboard.

Reactions: AleXXXa

DanielDD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2013
Portugal
LOL gotta love the way Apple is innovating today! First, they invent the stylus and call it a pencil! w00t! All while charging $99 for it, this is innovation at it's highest level. Then, they try to top that by stealing the Surface's keyboard! Mind = blown!

You do know that there have been 3rd party iPad keyboards way before surface existed, right? Apple's new keyboard is just another one that is entering the market of iPad keyboards.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
So...it's a Microsoft Surface keyboard? :) A magic keyboard with a magic pencil. I love Apple but I feel like they are losing steam without Steve Jobs. Now all I need is a magic carpet to explore a whole new world...

Trust me, you don't want one. Those things are a magnet for unicorn dander, and magical allergies suck!!!

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
It's so obvious now where Microsoft stole all their ideas for Surface 3. They look almost the same.

(just kidding)

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
LOL gotta love the way Apple is innovating today! First, they invent the stylus and call it a pencil! w00t! All while charging $99 for it, this is innovation at it's highest level. Then, they try to top that by stealing the Surface's keyboard! Mind = blown!
You clearly hate Apple, so why do you hang out on an Apple forum?

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
charging the price they charge for a stylus and keyboard cover is innovation indeed

I hate the "magic"/"smart" naming convention they put on their accessories. So unnatural and tacky when your friend asking you what cover/case/Apple accessories are you using.

"I have a magic mouse, magic track pad, smart cover, smart case, smart keyboard, magic pencil!"

kindergarten speak...

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Is it me or does that monstrosity look absolutely ridiculous?

Kills the whole point of the iPad advantage over the laptop ... Portability.

The same goes for the Apple Pencil. A stylus for a product which boasted it never needed one.

Rearrange these words to from a famous expression: Eyes Ball Their Taken Off The :-(

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
Yes, I haven't been liking what I've been seeing. All I really care about now is the Macs getting nice updates. Lost interest in everything else. Sold all my stock a while ago. And I guess I'll eventually come to MacRumors less and less :(

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
You clearly hate Apple, so why do you hang out on an Apple forum?
I don't hate apple at all - I have been using apple products since 1981. Let's see, in my house I have 6 apple laptops, 3 iphones, 2 ipods, 2 ipads, time capsule and an apple tv. What I hate about Apple is that they are hypocritical to a fault. They once said "if it needs a stylus the device is a failure". And, "physical keyboards will be a thing of the past". So now, since they have a new stylus and new keyboard, both of which Apple and the fanbois made fun of in the past, we are supposed to think this is innovation? Really? I just call things as I see them.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
I will pay $300 and my left nut if they bring back Alps (Matias) switches with PBT keycaps. Kudos to anyone else who knows what the hell I'm talking about.

Reactions: AleXXXa and Nuvi

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
Surface Pro 3 wants to be desktop and tablet in one.

Two things: a keyboard cover is available for all the Surface models, not just the Pro 3. And the attached keyboard makes it a laptop and tablet in one. Removing the keyboard or folding it back switches the Surface into tablet mode, if you didn't change this in the preferences/settings. Works quite well.

iOS is touch uncompromised.

What does that even mean?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
. They once said "if it needs a stylus the device is a failure". And, "physical keyboards will be a thing of the past". So now, since they have a new stylus and new keyboard, both of which Apple and the fanbois made fun of in the past, we are supposed to think this is innovation? Really? I just call things as I see them.

It's not hypocritical to change one's mind--remember when Steve Jobs said nobody reads anymore, or nobody wants to watch video on a tiny screen? But besides this, Job's "if you see a stylus, they blew it" comment was in response to all the terrible tablets up to that point that required a stylus to use as its main and only method of interaction. That is quite different from the iPad Pro.

Probably just a normal bluetooth keyboard with BT 4.0.
I was hoping Apple would introduce the new keyboard at yesterday keynote.

Wouldn't make sense to release it without a new Mac. If it comes this year it'll be with the new 21.5" 4K iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.