Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Reissuing OS X Mountain Lion Up-to-Date Codes "not recognized as valid code" or "already redeemed"

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For those users who received a redemption code for OS X Mountain Lion while the Up to Date program was temporarily live, it appears that many of the original codes are invalid.

Users are reporting receiving errors while trying to redeem codes. Errors include "The code you entered is not recognized as valid code" and errors that the code has already been used.

Several users are tracking the issue in our forums and have been told by AppleCare representatives that new codes will be issued shortly:
I got my code 2 days ago and mine is invalid also. I just called up applecare about 30 minutes ago and told the guy my situation and he had me try to redeem it again but it said it had already been redeemed. He then said that his system had a note in it saying that anyone who redeemed their serial number and got one of the invalid codes should recieve another email within one business day after mountain lion was released (already happened so the time is ticking now).

Article Link: Apple Reissuing OS X Mountain Lion Up-to-Date Codes "not recognized as valid code" or "already redeemed"

Bobo Decosta

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2008
And what about those who are still waiting to get their redeem codes? Already waiting 70 minutes for those mails. I'm even checking my spam folders on the iCloud website

Comment

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
now I wonder if we have to call AppleCare so they know our code in invalid or if they will automatically issue a new one

Comment

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
I submitted the form yesterday when it went live early. Never got a code, and when I went to re-apply today it stated my serial has already been redeemed. This sucks.

Comment

sgtbash

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2009
Italy
Waiting for the new up-to-date codes. Apple sent me two different codes about 45 minutes ago but none of them worked.

Comment

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
Same it doesn't work. I bet most will spend the $20 instead of waiting the extra day or so they are saying it will take to fix the issue.

Comment

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Waiting for the new up-to-date codes. Apple sent me two different codes about 45 minutes ago but none of them worked.

Same issue here, received two codes from Apple five minutes after filling out the up-to-date information earlier this morning... neither work. Really hopeful that they clear this up before I get home from work this evening.

Comment

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
I requested mine this morning; I got the already-been-tried error even though it was my first time attempting to redeem.

Comment

itspatorpj

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Already Used?

I just completed the form this morning and received the redeem code within 15 minutes but I'm still getting the error stating the code has already been used.

Comment

thatsfinebut

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2010
Chicago
Does anyone know if the activation code will only work with the computer it was requested for? I have an up-to-date eligible RMBP and I'm wondering if I can buy Mountain Lion for $19.99 in the app store right now, then give my free upgrade code to my girlfriend. We both use different app store accounts.

I sent in a claim form on Monday (during the brief window it was live) and never received a confirmation email. About an hour ago, a customer service rep told me that people that received an email on Monday would have a bad code. If you didn't receive an email, you should still be in the cue, although he said it could take 24-48 hours to receive an email with your code.

Comment

Urban Spaceman

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2012
:mad: I've received the "This code has already been used" error.

I read somewhere that it may be related to those who got their redemption codes early when MR reported that the redemption page was "live". I didn't get my code early, but I did start the process (to get the code) and then found that it wasn't possible to complete from my locale. I wonder if the mere act of starting the process two days ago has meant that I've received an invalid code. Perhaps Apple voided all the codes associated with those who attempted to use the "Up To Date" system early?

Has anyone who received an invalid code received a replacement yet? Or is this likely to be a 24hr wait?

Comment

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
:mad: I've received the "This code has already been used" error.

I read somewhere that it may be related to those who got their redemption codes early when MR reported that the redemption page was "live". I didn't get my code early, but I did start the process (to get the code) and then found that it wasn't possible to complete from my locale. I wonder if the mere act of starting the process two days ago has meant that I've received an invalid code. Perhaps Apple voided all the codes associated with those who attempted to use the "Up To Date" system early?

Has anyone who received an invalid code received a replacement yet? Or is this likely to be a 24hr wait?

I visited the redemption page when it went live today and still got an invalid code. If I don't get one in 30 minutes, I'll just buy it and write Apple an angry e-mail.

Comment

skiphunt

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2002
Same here

Got my redeem code a couple days ago and it's not working either.

Quick question... I'm trying to use the up-to-date related to a 13" MBP I bought a couple weeks ago (yes, I know 13in retinas are coming, but I prefer to be able to upgrade my RAM & HD when I want). My question is, is this redeem code good ONLY for install on the MBP I just bought? Or, can I also install it on my 21in iMac?

When I bought Lion from the App store, I could install on both of my machines. If this redeem code is ONLY good for the machine I recently purchased and NOT good for the iMac... and I have to buy a copy anyway... what's the freakin' use of this so called "up-to-date" program?

With this redeem code SNAFU and the likelihood I'll have to buy another copy of ML for my iMac anyway... I'm about tempted to just box this 13in MBP up and just take it back to BestBuy. I'm mostly getting by for anything I do remotely with my iPad anyway.

Comment

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
This is a huge slip-up for Apple, imo.

Maybe the page should not have been live and it wasn't for very long, but honestly, for those that jumped on the news article and got a now bad code, and must get another one, it kind of serves you right for thinking you may either get Lion early or you just had to have the code that day because someone said you could. What was the point of a code 2 days before release that you couldn't use. "Woohoo, I got my code." Sorry.

Comment

l.w41sh

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
Florida
Well I don't see how hard it is to reset the codes redeemed on Monday...

But they were testing the website and we tried to redeem our codes. I think they should have noticed that we tried and reset their database on Tuesday.

Comment

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Well I don't see how hard it is to reset the codes redeemed on Monday...

But they were testing the website and we tried to redeem our codes. I think they should have noticed that we tried and reset their database on Tuesday.

Its happening to people who only filled out the form and try to redeem today, like me. So the problem is more than just the people who got their codes Monday.

Comment

Slag

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2012
Maybe the page should not have been live and it wasn't for very long, but honestly, for those that jumped on the news article and got a now bad code, and must get another one, it kind of serves you right for thinking you may either get Lion early or you just had to have the code that day because someone said you could.

Awesome so its the customers fault, Apple did good... The fanboy meter is off the charts.

Just so you know - I applied for my free copy today way after the official release and still got a bad code. So it's definetly not limited to the people who applied early.

They messed up big time and now their customer support division will pay the price with some overtime.

Comment

Doc Rock

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2012
I submitted and got my email with my code back just a few minutes ago. I went to redeem it and it says it is invalid.

But I know what is going on here. They are able to issue the codes quickly but the server that allows for the redemption of that code is so swamped with stuff right now that they haven't been able to put that code into that database to allow redemption yet. So sometime later today or by tomorrow that code will likely be valid if you got it today. No guarantees for the ones that were issued early.

Comment

orthorim

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Filled in code redemption form 2 hours ago, still waiting on the email.

Thanks for the info, I was a little surprised I didn't get a code right away to be honest. Are they seriously having an army of black shirted Apple employees sitting there checking each claim? I mean for the vast majority of Macs they know exactly when they were sold by serial number, can't be that hard...

On the other hand Apple seems to have severe issues with their update servers right now, I've never seen them this slow. App Store is trying to download a 1GB iMovie update which is coming in at 20KB/s instead of the usual 1.5MB/s...

If it takes them too long I'll just buy the upgrade, whatever, it's only $20.

Comment

l.w41sh

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
Florida
Its happening to people who only filled out the form and try to redeem today, like me. So the problem is more than just the people who got their codes Monday.

You mean you didn't do it Monday?

You just signed up this morning when it went live?

Wow then I understand.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.