Apple Relaunches 'Texas Hold'Em' Game to Celebrate 10th Anniversary of App Store

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 8, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In a surprise move tied to the App Store's 10th anniversary last year, Apple has revived its classic "Texas Hold'Em" game for iPhone.

[​IMG]

As noted by 9to5Mac, version 2.0 of the game was released on the App Store today. Apple says it has completely redesigned, rebuilt, and re-rendered the game to use high-resolution graphics, as well as added new characters, more challenging gameplay, and many other new features.

Apple's release notes:
    Texas Hold'Em is a variation of poker. In the game, players bet and bluff as they attempt to advance through 10 distinctive locations, including Las Vegas, Paris, and Macau. The new version is entirely free-to-play with multiplayer support for up to eight players via Wi-Fi or offline playback against 24 computerized opponents.

The new version requires a device running iOS 12 or later and is optimized for the latest iPhone and iPod touch models.

Texas Hold'Em first debuted on the iPod in September 2006 before launching on the iPhone when the App Store launched on July 11, 2008. The game was pulled from the App Store in November 2011, leaving Apple without its own iPhone game until it released "Warren Buffett's Paper Wizard" in May.

Texas Hold'Em is available now on the App Store.

Article Link: Apple Relaunches 'Texas Hold'Em' Game to Celebrate 10th Anniversary of App Store

2. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

3. BootsWalking macrumors 65816

It's official, Apple is expanding its service business to include online gambling...If and when it ever becomes legal across all 50 states in the USA :)

4. JessWinter macrumors member

JessWinter

Apple, back at it again re-releasing things no one asked for. But hey, I'm not mad. This will bring back some nostalgia.

5. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

Wow, these screenshots bring back all kinds of memories!! I played this on the iPod a ton when it came out.

6. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

This was a ton of fun when originally released. Definitely going to install this!

7. OtherJesus macrumors 6502

OtherJesus

Nostalgia for sure but this game is terrible unless they updated it. Edit - I missed that they updated it. Be curious to see if they updated the AI and made it certified RNG.

Because in the original it was rigged.

I just folded every hand to unlock every table and beat the game. Yes, literally just dumped every hand and let the AI beat itself.

8. brinary001 macrumors 6502a

brinary001

Umm okay but the App Store turns 11 this year...

9. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

I wonder if I could do that in vegas? lol I never knew that, funny stuff!

10. fareal macrumors newbie

1.5GB!

Should have waited for iOS 13 and the 50% smaller app sizing.

11. PlayUltimate macrumors regular

PlayUltimate

12. DrumApple macrumors 6502a

Lol always find these kinds of realistic graphics for card games ridiculous.

13. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

Haha, still the same characters from 10 years ago. They haven't aged a year!

14. decypher44 macrumors 6502a

decypher44

Was about to say the same thing. I figured the download process was slow as App Store sometimes drags (or everyone was downloading at the same time). Then I checked the file size. 1.5GB. Holy cow!

15. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Apples App Store is still in it's 10th celebration year for 2 more days, read carefully....

Wikipedia says July 10, 2018

16. speg macrumors member

speg

Full of their ads and crappy tracking analytics? No thanks. I was recently looking for a poker game without all the extra bloat and now I have one!

17. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

YES!!! This was one of the first apps I downloaded on my iPod Touch (before iPhone was available on Verizon). Loved this and missed it greatly. So glad to see it back!

18. OriginalClone macrumors 6502

OriginalClone

I think I paid $10 for this app when it launched.

19. ricktat macrumors 65816

But it's missing the 1,000 ads and tracking software you get from regular Poker Apps.

20. JetTester macrumors 6502

But can an iPhone XS run Amiga software? Nothing says "Buy our latest hardware tech" like running ancient software on it!

21. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

22. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

Wifi issues and LTE connectivity issues on my XR, but hell yeah we have Texas Hold em'! Lots of courage

23. fcs132 macrumors regular

fcs132

And they say Tim Cook’s apple sucks, can’t innovate my a** that’ll show them ;)

24. miniyou64 macrumors 6502a

miniyou64

Whenever I see a dev touting “stunning graphics” in an app description as a selling point, I cringe at how amateur it looks. I can’t believe Apple still does this.

25. gbc204 macrumors regular

Hey, *I* am absolutely psyched for this. Was my most-played game when I first got an iPhone, and my poker game has certainly suffered since I stopped playing this. VERY excited for this update.