Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Otaviano

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2007
I'm looking forward to getting this new version of Aperture 3. Seems all is normal on here and people still find a way to complain. Faces is a silly feature that was only included because the little brother of Aperture has it and it doesn't make sense for the pro app not to have a feature from the minor app. The real big things in Aperture 3 are:

- 64 bit

- Improved editing ... any effect can be brushed on and off

- Love the GPS implementation, the idea of snapping a pic with your iPhone when on location and then adding those coordinates to your pictures.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Its a knock because prior to version 3, aperture did not have the depth and breadth of non-destructive editing that LightRoom had. They had to with the kludgy destructive plug-in approach. Now in version 3 they have enhanced non-destructive editing.
Ah I'm with you and it makes good sense. :)
I'm looking forward to getting this new version of Aperture 3. Seems all is normal on here and people still find a way to complain. Faces is a silly feature that was only included because the little brother of Aperture has it and it doesn't make sense for the pro app not to have a feature from the minor app. The real big things in Aperture 3 are:

- 64 bit

- Improved editing ... any effect can be brushed on and off

- Love the GPS implementation, the idea of snapping a pic with your iPhone when on location and then adding those coordinates to your pictures.

I disagree. Just because iPhoto has it doesn't mean a pro app should. It's the whiny little bitches who feel as though a pro app should only mean the non-pro app + more when in reality it would be nice if they took Aperture seriously enough as a pro app to not include crap like faces.

mungler

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2007
Running at 64 bit is good news too, has Adobe bothered to do this for the mac yet? (trick question, of COURSE they have not).

Umm... want to check your facts? Lightroom 2 was one of the first 64-bit Mac apps.

Goldfinger

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2006
Belgium
This is an amazing update. Non destructive editing, merge library feature, chromatic abberation adjustment, even better library management features, IPTC Core, better importing management. Whew!

Faces and Places are just minor functions and iceing on the cake!

Glad I waited before switching to LR3 !

Oh and they added support for a few M4/3 cameras!

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Full-Screen mode looks amazing! I am going back to Aperture. I wasn't fully happy, so I went back to iPhoto, but the new version is really an iPhoto Pro now.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Finally... now the adobe shills can shut up about Aperture being dead-ended.
I have been holding off Snow Leopard until Aperture was updated, and now have an excuse to upgrade my workstation as well.

While I have no need for faces/places, Aperture has been for a few years my major professional imaging tool of choice. Running at 64 bit is good news too, has Adobe bothered to do this for the mac yet? (trick question, of COURSE they have not). Adobe has turned their backs on the community they built their business on, so it is far easier to turn our backs on them as well. Just like the plodding upgrade for Intel, they are doing the same for 64bit. See their statement explaining why on PCs get 64bit...
michael
---
"Photoshop CS4 for Microsoft® Windows Vista® runs 64-bit native.
In early testing of 64-bit support in Photoshop for Windows®, overall performance gains ranged from 8% to 12%. Those who work with extremely large files may realize noticeably greater gains in performance, in some cases as dramatic as ten times the previous speed.

The Mac OS 64-bit version is planned for a future release as a result of a change to Apple's platform strategy, which now requires a migration from Apple's Carbon technology to its Cocoa technology in order for an application to run 64-bit native. Before 64-bit support can be added on Mac OS, significant parts of Photoshop and its plug-ins must first be ported from Carbon to Cocoa. The Photoshop team began working on porting Photoshop to Cocoa as soon as Apple announced 64-bit support in Carbon was no longer part of its plans." (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/faq/)

You do realize this is partially caused by Apple depreciating API's without notice, and without warning, deciding to not update Carbon API's to 64-bit? As much as Adobe may be lazy, Apple is the one who pulled the rug out from under their feet.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
I started out using Aperture 2, but the lack of nondestructive local edits ("Brushes" as Apple is calling it) absolutely killed me, so I switched to LR2, which has always had local nondestructive edits. LR2's interface is clunkier than Aperture, but I needed functionality over ease of use.

Unfortunately for Apple, Aperture 3 is too little too late. I already have a huge library in LR2 and won't be switching over to Aperture. I'll just wait for LR3, which is going to be released very soon.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Faces is a silly feature that was only included because the little brother of Aperture has it and it doesn't make sense for the pro app not to have a feature from the minor app.

It's the whiny little bitches who feel as though a pro app should only mean the non-pro app + more when in reality it would be nice if they took Aperture seriously enough as a pro app to not include crap like faces.

Why is everyone complaining about Faces? I haven't used iPhoto in years - so I've never seen "Faces" in action, but it seems like a great addition to Aperture.

What's so wrong with being able to easily find photos of a certain person? :confused:

If you don't want to use it, nobody is forcing you to.

psxp

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2008
Hey,

this Aperture 3 applicaiton looks prety good. It looks like its the next step up from the Basics of iPhoto.

I'm no pro photographer, but it looks like it would give me added power. I like the GPS integration. Any other apps I should consider? (I dont need pro level software, but somethign better than iPhoto )

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
The Store is back up......look like Aperture 3 was the only update.

I am ordering it now

boinaby

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2010
Hehehe. Just Aperture 3?

Don't forget every BTO machine has Aperture as an option - they will have had to update every single one. That's why it took so long.

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
Faces, Places, Movies, Slideshows and Style Presets are all for iPhoto users, to entice them to upgrade. I don't need them, and they aren't going to entice me to upgrade.

There are a number of serious brush updates to consider. 64 bit is awesome. RAW workflow still looks lagging behind. Native importing to Flickr and Facebook are pretty week pro wise. Printing to different book makers and the new print options will be a welcome for wedding photographers. Backup on import is nice.

Maybe Aperture 3 fixes Vault corruption that keeps reoccurring for us. I am nervous about updating to software that's only focus isn't my photos, but includes embedded nonsense like Google Maps. The more code isn't the merrier. I will be doing a hard comparison with LightRoom, I may be switching back this time around.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Why is everyone complaining about Faces? I haven't used iPhoto in years - so I've never seen "Faces" in action, but it seems like a great addition to Aperture.

What's so wrong with being able to easily find photos of a certain person? :confused:

If you don't want to use it, nobody is forcing you to.

I suspect the people complaining aren't really pros. They're people who use pro software or pretend to use pro software so they can feel superior to others, and addition of consumer level features makes them feel uncomfortable. Or, at least gives them a reason to shout about how upset they are at consumer level features making it into their pro software.

It seems a real professional would welcome new advanced organizational tools, which Faces is. I'd bet plenty of real Aperture users had been pestering Apple to add the feature.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Surprised this wasn't mentioned... Aperture now has Curves adjustments, and they can show the extended RAW image info.

adjustments-curves-20091020.jpg

And 200 other new features. Still reading through it, but I'm impressed:

http://www.apple.com/aperture/features/

Goldfinger

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2006
Belgium
Surprised this wasn't mentioned... Aperture now has Curves adjustments, and they can show the extended RAW image info.

adjustments-curves-20091020.jpg

And 200 other new features. Still reading through it, but I'm impressed:

http://www.apple.com/aperture/features/

It even has curves! This is a very impressive update.
I really don't get all the people whining about faces (and even less those whining about MBP's. Start your own thread.), you don't HAVE to use faces.

Oh and I'm a "pro" and I love the addition of places and faces (especially places).

mullman

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
NC
3 hrs of downtime for an Aperture update and removing 'new' tags from current product line?

LOL.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I'll give it an A. Going to wait a month however prior to dropping the $99.00.
Video will not be big for me, however I have friends who are very excited about this.This app has never been about Photo Shop. It has been very easy to develop a workflow for an advanced amateur like myself. Light Room is a great product as well. It really comes down to the interface, and your comfort level with what type of work flow you have.

A "Pro" uses PS, Bibble, or Capture One. (best IMO)

So, be pissed if it's not your update. You have many choices. For us who like Aperture this update IMO is very nice.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
http://www.apple.com/aperture/what-is.html said:
Nondestructive brushes let you make selective adjustments to specific parts of your image without creating masks or layers.
Halfway to what it needed to be...

'cmon, Apple, apply a little pressure to the folks at Adobe, for once!

Still, I haven't given it a test drive... We'll see, I guess...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.