Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Releases Eighth Beta of macOS Big Sur to Developers [Update: Public Beta Now Available]

Justjay27

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2012
I have been able to with the first 3 public betas, jut finished installing Beta8 ...
I had to unpair/pair my watch due to battery draining issues with watchOS7 (long thread in the AW forum), someone there posted this link and that procedure worked just now on my iMac running Mojave, might do it on my MBP with Beta 8 later

Edit: just set it up on the beta, had to do it twice, didn't work on first try
Thank you so much!! everything is working!

Comment

calvinchan.hkg

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2018
Hello guys, I have a MBP 2019 (16 inch). Currently is running 10.15.6.

May I know if it is stable enough to install Big Sur Beta 8??

Anyone has install it on MBP 16"?
If yes, would it be recommended to upgrade or clean install?

Besides, if using Big Sur Beta 8, is there any long booting time issue??

Thanks for advise.....:)

Comment

Justjay27

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2012
For some reason I'm unable to add my Gmail account to the mail app

update.... added through other account...but gmail option is missing

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 12.17.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 12.17.44 AM.png
    504.7 KB · Views: 50
Comment

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne Australia
My guess would be after the September 30 conference, they probably don't wanna leak ARM Macs specs and design.
Nothing’s been announced?
Also they don’t normally put any obvious details in the dev/public versions.
The dev/public versions are not different usually... they are still basically public seeds so anyone can go through them
[automerge]1600836836[/automerge]
For sure. Maybe late October , but definitely in November
It’s normally October lately

Comment

jeffjank33

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2016
I have been able to with the first 3 public betas, jut finished installing Beta8 ...
I had to unpair/pair my watch due to battery draining issues with watchOS7 (long thread in the AW forum), someone there posted this link and that procedure worked just now on my iMac running Mojave, might do it on my MBP with Beta 8 later

Edit: just set it up on the beta, had to do it twice, didn't work on f

I had similar issue and resolved it on beta 7, unpaired Apple Watch, logged iPhone out of iCloud, repaired and logged iPhone back into iCloud and it was fixed.

found solution posted somewhere, didn’t even have to reboot Mac. Hope this helps, let me know if it doesn’t and I’ll find the exact post that I followed.

Comment

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
This beta and the last have felt pretty good to me. I might start upgrading some of my other machines at this point.

Comment

jeffjank33

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2016
I don't know as far as new features, but there is one feature that has never appeared in Mail and it's the only reason why I don't use Mail. In Outlook Mac, I have sections in my inbox that can be enabled and they say today, yesterday, last week and so on. It makes things easier to see and find for me. In Mail, it's all jumbled into one giant list.
Would love to learn how you do that. My inboxI can choose By: I have my set to Date Received but I've played around and dont see groupings by today, yesterday, last week, last month.. would love that!! Any tips, please share.

Comment

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
is anyone else having issue linking their Apple Watch to their MacBooks running Big Sur?
Yeah - mine was working fine after updating to the Big Sur and watchOS betas until I unpaired and re-paired my series 5 with my iPhone 11 to try and fix a battery drain in one of the watchOS betas and now it won’t reconnect for unlock with apple watch. Sits there thinking for about 30 seconds before telling me it can’t communicate with the watch.
iPhone 11 is on iOS 14 release version, watch is on watchOS 7 release version and Mac (late 2013 MacBook Pro) is on big sur beta 8 but also had this issue on beta 6 and 7.

Comment

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands

This just worked for me in beta 8 with a series 5 on watchOS 7 as I too lost this functionality by unpairing / re-pairing my watch to try and fix battery issues in one of the watchOS 7 betas. First attempt failed almost instantly, second attempt enabled it almost instantly. Before this I'd been sitting watching it think for about 30 seconds before it failed.

Last edited:
Comment

MacManian

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
Guys, please somebody send this pic to Jony Ive, maybe after that he'll come back... seems after his leave nobody checks true design.
Why aren't these awful icons being repaired?!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 2.20.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 2.20.29 PM.png
    681 KB · Views: 97
Comment

johnalan

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Guys, please somebody send this pic to Jony Ive, maybe after that he'll come back... seems after his leave nobody checks true design.
Why aren't these awful icons being repaired?!

lol yep, it's like Linux icons from the 90s.

btw, with iCloud Drive Desktop/Documents enabled, have you noticed that the Documents and Desktop folders are no longer in the home (~) folder in Big Sur?

Comment

MacManian

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
lol yep, it's like Linux icons from the 90s.

btw, with iCloud Drive Desktop/Documents enabled, have you noticed that the Documents and Desktop folders are no longer in the home (~) folder in Big Sur?

I have not been notified of this change. But it still works
Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 3.09.17 PM.png

Comment

johnalan

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
I have not been notified of this change. But it still works
View attachment 957952

oh sorry! I mean in Finder, in terminal I see both, but in Finder there are "hidden" folders, in Catalina it wasn't like that. The folders showed in Finder.

Now my home folder looks like this, no Documents or Desktop, in Catalina, finder showed both in iCloud AND in Finder home.

Screenshot 2020-09-23 at 11.30.50.png

Same for you?

Comment

Six Mac Abs

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2019
Does anyone know the terminal command to download the latest update? I already have the previous update downloaded in /System/Library/Updates (which I didn't install), but I want to download the latest PB and install that.

I've unenrolled / enrolled but the old update folder remains, also can't be bothered to boot into recovery, disable SIP to be able to delete the aforementioned update folder etc, if there is another, simpler way?

Thanks

Comment

MacManian

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
oh sorry! I mean in Finder, in terminal I see both, but in Finder there are "hidden" folders, in Catalina it wasn't like that. The folders showed in Finder.

Now my home folder looks like this, no Documents or Desktop, in Catalina, finder showed both in iCloud AND in Finder home.

Same for you?
Wow, yes! Same for me. Now they are hidden.
Interesting update, apparently so that people do not get confused where is which folder, (it was as 2 the same folders on different places as you correctly noted). But I don't know a single person who was confused about that in Catalina :D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 3.54.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 3.54.47 PM.png
    239.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Love
Reactions: johnalan
Comment

Kylo83

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2020
No one has answered my question can someone tell me if AirPods auto switching work on this beta

Comment

johnalan

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Wow, yes! Same for me. Now they are hidden.
Interesting update, apparently so that people do not get confused where is which folder, (it was as 2 the same folders on different places as you correctly noted). But I don't know a single person who was confused about that in Catalina :D

Thanks for checking my friend! And I agree, it was handy in Catalina.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.