Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Releases Eighth Betas of iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

WiseAJ

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
Never touching a .1 beta again since the fiasco with transferring from XS Max to 11PM caused by 13.1 beta

Yeah, if you plan on upgrading to a new iPhone Day One always avoid using the betas after the GM is out if you want to restore from backup.

Reactions: compwiz1202
Comment

Dom_

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2020
I’m on beta 7 and I can’t access the content behind Siri, it just dismisses Siri as soon as I try to scroll.
Hmm. I only tried it on the iPad so far, maybe that's the reason. It seems to work there (and it might have been before Beta 8) but it might not work on the iPhone (neither in Beta 7 or 8).

Comment

scouto

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2020
Hello, does anyone know when I'll be able to have automatic device switching for AirPods Pro? I'm using Apple Music on MacBook Pro 2020, iPhone 8, iPad Air 2 and they don't automatically switch.

I don't see this feature discussed much but it is huge for me. I wear my AirPods all day.

Reactions: srbNYC
Comment

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
Hello, does anyone know when I'll be able to have automatic device switching for AirPods Pro? I'm using Apple Music on MacBook Pro 2020, iPhone 8, iPad Air 2 and they don't automatically switch.

I don't see this feature discussed much but it is huge for me. I wear my AirPods all day.
They said it won’t be in the betas. So either it will be in the GM, or they’ll add it later 🤷‍♂️ It requires a firmware upgrade for the AirPods.

Comment

Username32123

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2020
GM next week
On behalf of many others on this forum, I would like to request that you find something else to do other than wait for each article to be posted then try to be one of the first people to leave comment. I’m trying to be as polite as possible not to violate any rules here, but almost all of your comments are short generic valueless statements, made seemingly just for the sake of commenting to grab the top comment spots.

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
They mention in the release notes that this beta could take significantly longer to download and install, so it's a known issue.
I believe that's been around in the release notes for pretty much every beta.

Comment

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2017
Nice. You now have access to the content behind the Siri interface (so you can scroll etc. while using Siri). :)
Interesting, because Craig F said (in an interview with MKB) that allowing scrolling behind added “heaviness” to the experience and they deliberately prevented interaction with the layers under Siri. He did add that they’d take feedback into account during the beta so I guess they changed their mind. And I’m glad they did. Seems very unlike Apple though who have historically taken the attitude “we know best”. I like this change in attitude.

edit: I’ve updated and it’s not working for me. Interacting with the background dismisses Siri.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dom_
Comment

HappyGeoCacher

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2019
One mail account with several mail addresses.
Even when a specific sender is selected while creating a new mail, Apple mail uses a random sender address.

The bug already exists for the last betas, has been reported several times but still no reaction from Apple.

Comment

armandxp

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
Yeah, if you plan on upgrading to a new iPhone Day One always avoid using the betas after the GM is out if you want to restore from backup.
Yes, learned this the hard way. I usually turn off the beta updates when I hear the last one is going to be a GM. Then update to the final version, that way I can restore to a brand new phone that just came out. LOL

Comment

noraa

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Well I’ve resigned myself to the fact the iPad is not going to get Home Screen widgets or the App Library in iPadOS 14 - at least not in the initial release (and probably not until iPadOS 15), but I’m still really, really annoyed that the split keyboard was removed and hasn’t been added back. Such an incredibly useful feature, I can’t figure out why it was removed.

Reactions: ivan_k
Comment

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Same. Wish there was a write up of changes made.
There's the release notes:

iOS & iPadOS 14 Beta 8 Release Notes

Notes and Known Issues
General
Known Issues

• Important:Updating to iOS & iPadOS 14 beta from previous versions of iOS & iPadOS might take significantly longer than expected. Data loss could occur if the update is interrupted. (59101197)

• macOS Big Sur 11 beta 6 or Xcode 12 beta 6 might be required to sync or update devices running iOS & iPadOS 14 beta 7 or later.
  • macOS Big Sur 11 beta 6 is required to use the restore images for iOS & iPadOS 14 beta 7 or later.
Apple Security Bounty
  • iOS & iPadOS 14 beta 8 is designated as qualifying for the 50% Apple Security Bounty bonus payment for issues that are unknown to Apple or reintroduced in this release. See Apple Security Bountyfor more information.
App Store
Known Issues

• Avoid calling the presentCodeRedemptionSheet() API until you're able to create supported codes. (59351258)
Core Haptics
Known Issues

• CHHapticEngine vended through the Game Controller framework ( GCDeviceHaptics ) don't support CHHapticAdvancedPatternPlayer and an error is returned on advanced player creation.
  • audioCustom and audioContinuous events sent to CHHapticEngine vended through the Game Controller framework ( GCDeviceHaptics ) are silently ignored. (65163373)
  • The creation of CHHapticEngine via class initializers is available only in iOS. For other platforms, access these engines via GCController . (65481931)
Fonts
Known Issues

• Beginning in iOS & iPadOS 14 beta, fonts installed using configuration profiles are only available to apps supporting the font APIs and entitlements introduced in iOS & iPadOS 13. If your app provides a custom font-selection interface, it can no longer access fonts installed via configuration profiles. For reference, see the WWDC 2019 Session Font Management and Text Scaling (55317428)
Home Screen
Known Issues

• Spotlight might not appear as expected. (64121178)
    Workaround: Restart your device.
Maps
Known Issues

• After updating to iOS & iPadOS 14 beta 2 or later, user data, such as Favorites, Collections, and Recents no longer syncs with devices running earlier versions of iOS & iPadOS. (65005848)
SwiftUI
Known Issues

• ProgressView generic type signature has changed, adding the ProgressViewStyleConfiguration.CurrentValueLabelgeneric parameter. This change does not require any source changes, but will cause apps you compile using an earlier beta SDK to quit unexpectedly. (63580200)
    Workaround: Re-compile apps for iOS & iPadOS 14 beta 6 or later to resolve this issue.
  • The KeyboardShortcut modifier and commands(content:)aren't currently functional. (65704705)
  • Rebuilding against the iOS 14 SDK will modify instances of custom(_:size:) to scale with dynamic type. To create a font which doesn't scale with dynamic type, use custom(_:fixedSize:) . (51463566)
  • The SignInWithAppleButton view expands to fill its container. (64136568)
    Workaround: Apply a frame modifier.
Third-Party Apps
Known Issues

• Apps using JSONKit might quit unexpectedly on launch. Some forks of JSONKit hardcode private, pointer-representation details, which are subject to change. (60290929)
    Workaround: Use NSJSONSerialization instead.
  • fstab has been removed. You can no longer use Filesystem contents outside of an app's sandbox for validation. (61098152)
  • Apps using the NativeScript framework might quit unexpectedly on launch. NativeScript performs an unsafe operation to determine if an arbitrary pointer is an Objective-C object pointer. You can temporarily resolve this issue by using object_getClass(_:)instead of reading the isa directly; however, update this code to avoid checking whether arbitrary pointers are Objective-C object pointers. (62913064)
Wallet
Known Issues

• isPassLibraryAvailable() doesn't ensure uniform availability of pass library functionality between platforms and devices. (60697880)
    Workaround: Call a more specific API to check available functionality, such as canAddPasses() .
Widgets
Known Issues

• When the parent app of a widget has been granted Selected Photos access, an alert might appear each time the widget runs. (66398732)
    Workaround: Add PHPhotoLibraryPreventAutomaticLimitedAccessAlert = YES to the Info.plist of the widget extension.
  • All widgets must be rebuilt using the iOS & iPadOS 14 beta 4 SDK or later, and won't run on previous versions of iOS & iPadOS 14 beta. (65290210)
  • Some widgets might disappear from your Home Screen after updating to iOS & iPadOS 14 beta 2 or later. (64823469)
    Workaround: Add the missing widgets back to your Home Screen.
  • You can't resize an existing widget. (63500799)
    Workaround: Remove the widget and re-add it at the desired size.
  • You might need to reconfigure your widgets after updating to iOS & iPadOS 14 Beta 3 or later. (65485709)
  • The Weather widget might appear blank after updating to iOS 14 beta 6 or later. (66782070)
    Workaround: Tap the widget to open the Weather app, then return to the widget on the Home screen.

Reactions: NetMage and I7guy
Comment

GregJohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2015
Saskatoon, SK
The clock looks different to me but I must just be seeing things haha
I’m assuming they just added interacting with the background while Siri is active to ipad. It’s very easy to end up dismissing Siri and it’s not great but I’d rather this then always dismissing

Comment

Frehley

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2012
I have an issue which is a concern to me. Every time my iPhone 11 screen turns off, the wi-fi turns off. It will take 30-90 seconds after I "wake" the phone for the wi-fi to reconnect. This is not a good situation for me as I have a "not so good" cell signal and rely on wi-fi calling.

Any one having the same problem?

Comment

adin

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
Well I’ve resigned myself to the fact the iPad is not going to get Home Screen widgets or the App Library in iPadOS 14 - at least not in the initial release (and probably not until iPadOS 15), but I’m still really, really annoyed that the split keyboard was removed and hasn’t been added back. Such an incredibly useful feature, I can’t figure out why it was removed.

Is it just me, or did apps stop showing up on the universal search results on iPadOS the same time they added App Library to the phones?

Comment

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
No GM. It’s going to be next month, next week so for iPads maybe some other stuff like Macs or AirPods. The iPhones which bring new iOS aren’t being announced till next month.

iOS 14 comes out as scheduled in September and iOS 14.1 ships with the new iPhones. It wouldn’t be the first time Apple sent out a .1 release to support new hardware weeks after the previous release.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.