Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Releases Eighth Betas of iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

LlamaLarry

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2008
Northern VA
Question does anyone have the Navy Federal Credit Union app and does it work or banks app in general work now? thinking about risking it and downloading now.
Works fine. I think in in maybe the first couple of DBs tripped the NFCU apps jailbreak detection, but it has definitely been working fine for some time now.

RedTheReader

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2019
Interesting, because Craig F said (in an interview with MKB) that allowing scrolling behind added “heaviness” to the experience and they deliberately prevented interaction with the layers under Siri. He did add that they’d take feedback into account during the beta so I guess they changed their mind. And I’m glad they did. Seems very unlike Apple though who have historically taken the attitude “we know best”. I like this change in attitude.

edit: I’ve updated and it’s not working for me. Interacting with the background dismisses Siri.
I think the person who originally wrote this is talking about Siri on the iPad only. Multiple people have mentioned that background elements are now interact-able on their iPads, and it seems that they're not interact-able on iPhone.

Reactions: NetMage and Dom_

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
Seems like we are getting close.

My only disappointment will be nothing will feel new at release since I've been on the beta :p LOL

Yes, but aren’t we kind of assuming 3rd party apps will be able to make widgets?

Greatness617

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2017
Thanks everyone who replied about my bank question, I am currently running the beta and loving it debating turning off my 2nd page of apps and letting the phone guess for me lol

Reactions: LlamaLarry

JosephAW

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2012
PB 8 seemed to take a while to install this time. I was getting worried.
been using it as my daily driver for my work phone and it seems pretty stable. A few updates ago the maps crashed a lot but it's been good lately.
only thing I miss is in PB3 I was able to use hotspot connection to upload to a shared folders in files but since then it no longer works, says waiting so I either have to use cellular or generic WiFi.

Reactions: Greatness617

nycgeo

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2005
NYC
Still can’t hide the text under apps or folders or widgets. The most glaring design fail of all iOS and no one ever talks about it. #sad

Do we need the word “Calendar” under a widget of a calendar? Or the word “iMessage” under the same *iconic* icon it’s had since iOS 1?

We don’t. And we should have an easily-added toggle to hide them.

mikesilv

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
Seattle
Is it just me, or did apps stop showing up on the universal search results on iPadOS the same time they added App Library to the phones?
Nope, not just you. Broken here too, since the beginning of the Betas. Sent feedback and they've asked twice for me to check that it got fixed in subsequent builds. Yet it's still broken and I'm guessing they are just gonna ship it.

• Wow
Reactions: NetMage and adin

Etienne Jacquemart

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2020
What upsets me is we’re getting close to GM and it’s still plagued with bugs on iPad OS. I have reported many of them, but no reaction so far.

Gautam.

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2015
For all the years that the Reminders application has been available on iPhone and iPad, there is still no ability to automatically sort items in a list by name, date, or anything else. It seems that Apple engineers never bothered to test the application with more than one item in a list.
I reported this as an issue for Reminders for MacOS. Hope they see it.

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2017
I think the person who originally wrote this is talking about Siri on the iPad only. Multiple people have mentioned that background elements are now interact-able on their iPads, and it seems that they're not interact-able on iPhone.
I think you’re right :(

Reactions: Dom_

Dom_

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2020
Interesting, because Craig F said (in an interview with MKB) that allowing scrolling behind added “heaviness” to the experience and they deliberately prevented interaction with the layers under Siri. He did add that they’d take feedback into account during the beta so I guess they changed their mind. And I’m glad they did. Seems very unlike Apple though who have historically taken the attitude “we know best”. I like this change in attitude.

edit: I’ve updated and it’s not working for me. Interacting with the background dismisses Siri.
Yeah. You're right. Doesn't work for me either on iPhone, unfortunately. Only works on iPad (but might have been there before, can't imagine they blocked the whole screen there as well).

Reactions: RedTheReader

Etienne Jacquemart

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2020
Here are some bugs I see on my iPad Pro 2020 : `
Sometimes the app icons have différents sizes; same for widgets. The widgets sometimes appear only if I scroll. The attachments added in a new email are not sent, only the file names are present in the received email; often, copy/paste does not work. It’s almost impossible to copy an email address from an existing email. It’s almost impossible to select multiple pictures in Photo app using the trackpad. The accentuated characters are not recognized in scribble. It’s very hard to create an new event in calendar with the Magic Keyboard. The Files app becomes sometime unresponsive. Most of the time, when you want to position the cursor with Magic Keyboard on a certain place of a text, a word is automatically selected, you cannot unselect it unless using the arrow keys (this one is a real pain). Drag and drop of pictures using split screen does not always worK No real showstoppers, but very annoying glitches.

• Sad
Reactions: ZzapDK

AndSonArt

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2020
Since I updated the iPhone won't turn back on! o_O

Anyone having the same problem? I have a iPhone XS Max

Devin Breeding

macrumors member
May 2, 2020
Conway SC
All of the widget bugs seem to be taken care of, but it seems my battery (iPhone 11, 4 months old) is draining significantly faster since last weeks beta. Anyone else experience that?
I have an 11 about the same age. I haven’t noticed anything. Seems really good to me. I think it was the second public release I had some extra drain but all the others have been great.

Curious, maybe try deactivating optimized charging for a night? Maybe you have unpredictable charging habits so you don’t get a true full charge.

imnotthewalrus

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2015
earth
I have an 11 about the same age. I haven’t noticed anything. Seems really good to me. I think it was the second public release I had some extra drain but all the others have been great.

Curious, maybe try deactivating optimized charging for a night? Maybe you have unpredictable charging habits so you don’t get a true full charge.
Thanks for the idea, I'll try it. The new beta didn't change the behavior. Went down over 15% overnight. Prior to the last 2 betas, It would only go down <3%.

ZzapDK

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2020
Since I updated the iPhone won't turn back on! o_O

Anyone having the same problem? I have a iPhone XS Max
I would try charging it for 15 minutes and then performing a hard reset (the 3-step reset).
Almost sounds like a coincidental hardware failure though

Reactions: LlamaLarry

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
The install process is faster. It used to download the package pretty quickly but then spend 20 or more minutes "preparing update". Now that process is almost instant. The black screen with the progress bar did seem to take longer with the bar getting stuck despite the install proceeding in the background. It just completed the install and restarted with the bar at about 15%.

Babygotfont

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2016
What upsets me is we’re getting close to GM and it’s still plagued with bugs on iPad OS. I have reported many of them, but no reaction so far.

I jumped in IOS/IPADOS around b4 and exited after b7 ... too many issues for me risk ...

I'll look at 14 again around 15 time

seems like their beta stuff is more in the alpha stage

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.