Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
First Mac commercial i've seen in years. Rejoice!

What channel do they even show these on? I've actually never seen a Mac ad on real TV before.

Also, I hate to be the critic, but "innovation" is an overused noun.

----------

Does anyone have any idea as to why Apple only released one of these models instead up just updating the whole MacBook Pro lineup to this new form factor and retina display? Does it have anything to do with price discrimination in order to get the most money out of it or did they actually have a reason for only releasing it in one 15" model?

You mean making all of them retina? Not all people can afford that. Retina displays are very expensive. Have you seen the price of the retina MBP?

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
I agree which is precisely why a powerhouse laptop with a system drive SSD and a 2nd internal project SSD + 32 gig RAM is appealling.

best,
SvK

----------

rule number 1.
Don't stream of your system drive when editing, composing if you can help it.

Rule #1 doesn't apply when your system drive is a 500 MB/s SSD

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
You mean not until Apple releases there. :D:D

Seriously though, if they did a Retina Cinema Display in like a 40 inch with HDMI input I'd be all over it. Put it right next to my ODD list, slimmed up 30 inch retina iMac.

Could HDMI even support the resolution required for that? Remember that computer monitors have close viewing distance, and 40" is big. I think Thunderbolt would be required for that massive thing.

Also, HDMI sucks anyway. Its HDCP always gets messed up.

----------

It's too bad there are no televisions available with the resolution to show how good the retina display resolution is. I wonder if this will increase traffic to Apple Stores because that's the only way to see how good the new display is.

Yep, that's the only reason I ever go there: to see the retina displays. Well, for a change, I AM taking my mom's 200 MBP to ask why the @#$% its CPU goes above boiling point when using 90% of the CPU.

----------

Are new commercials for Apple products really worth a page 1 post? Isn't that just an advertisement, too?

MR always makes a post about Apple ads. Hey, people want to see them, and they're rare!

Also, the very name "MacRumors" is an ad.

----------

Rule #1 doesn't apply when your system drive is a 500 MB/s SSD

It still does. If you used a different SSD just for editing, you'd get to take full advantage of the speed. My iMac can't fully handle importing video from an HDV camera and typically has a small lag time if I am only doing that.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any idea as to why Apple only released one of these models instead up just updating the whole MacBook Pro lineup to this new form factor and retina display? Does it have anything to do with price discrimination in order to get the most money out of it or did they actually have a reason for only releasing it in one 15" model?

I'd say this new MBP is like a Concorde or Buggati Veyron moment. In that both those projects the engineers went crazy and and were told to go wild and express themselves, this macbook pro is that the Concorde moment in computers. Outrageously epic.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
I'm curious what this will mean for the regular Air and Pro lines; if this new model can steadily go down in price as the hardware gets cheaper, it might indicate that the standard Air and Pro will eventually be discontinued in favour of a single Mac laptop.

Not that that's a bad thing, as the new model seems to combine the best of both (other than price). The problem is that Apple's laptop lineup still doesn't have any kind of decent entry-level model, as the low-end Air isn't exactly cheap.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
lol at everyone saying "$2200 is too expensive for a computer"

Have you looked at the price for high end macbook pros over the last 10 years? I have gotten a high end MBP 15" every 3 years, and They usually start at 2500 and get up to 3500 or so maxed out graphics and chip, and do it yourself ram upgrade to keep it under 4k.

This one starts less and is less maxed out than top of the line macbook pros of the past decade.

Also, people will find a way to afford things that are important to them or they really in whatever economy.

I heard $2200 and was like "damn, that's cheap." I'll likely get the $3750 maxed version and be happy for 2-3 years, then sell it for 500-1500, depending on how long I kept it and how much I abused it.

Even going top of the line for 2 years after considering resale, it's only about $100/month. And that's for the maxed version. The $2200 version could be closer to only $50 per month! Upgrading every year might not actually cost you much more since you'll get more resale value. If you can't justify $100 a month on a computer, only $3 per day, computing nirvana just isn't for you. Most people pay that much for cable tv these days lol.

for those people that eat lunch out every day or have starbucks each morning or even smoke cigarettes could have one of these babies if they just ditched a $3 a day bad habit. Most people who have an iphone spend $3/day on the service alone.

Iphone-$3/day
Pimped MBP-$3/day

compared to:

food $10-20/day
rent $10-20/day
car insurance $2/day
car itself (15k car, 10 year life) $4/day+gas!

8 hr day of minimum wage work gets you~$50/day

computing is important to my life, seeing the list above $5-10/day tech budget seems reasonable and lets you play with nice fast toys all the time. Life is too short to waste time waiting for slow computers.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
lol at everyone saying "$2200 is too expensive for a computer"

Have you looked at the price for high end macbook pros over the last 10 years? I have gotten a high end MBP 15" every 3 years, and They usually start at 2500 and get up to 3500 or so maxed out graphics and chip, and do it yourself ram upgrade to keep it under 4k.

This one starts less and is less maxed out than top of the line macbook pros of the past decade.

Also, people will find a way to afford things that are important to them or they really in whatever economy.

I heard $2200 and was like "damn, that's cheap." …

I'm with you! But I already upgraded in 2011, so I'll have to wait… And yeah, my BTO 2011 MBP cost me close to $3000, for less than this one has off the shelf (if you include a SuperDrive and ethernet adapter).

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
I'm with you! But I already upgraded in 2011, so I'll have to wait… And yeah, my BTO 2011 MBP cost me close to $3000, for less than this one has off the shelf (if you include a SuperDrive and ethernet adapter).

Yeah, that's rough. Upgrading to the best MBP every year is probably a $2000/year habit. but even that's only $5.50 per day. :p

I last upgraded in fall 2008 so my computer is 3.5 years old and got me more life than usual and past due for an upgrade. I was waiting for something like this :D

lukarak

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
I agree. I was hoping the New Macbook Pro with the tune of $1799 original price. While I love the retina screen, if the price could be reduced by using the older 1680x1050 hi-res display panel; I would choose that instead. It's just difficult to justify the $2200 price tag.

It is not.

For the $1800 machine you get 512 MB of video memory, 4 GB of RAM, HDD
If you consider that you can buy an aftermarket SSD and RAM (256 GB and 8 GB), that will set you back somewhere in the neighbourhood of $300. So you are already at $2100. If you consider that 1440x900 is not that great, and that you should go for the highres option, you are already at the same pricepoint of $2200 and you don't have an ips screen which you can run in a 1920x1200 mode, you don't have an additional 512 MB of video memory, and you don't have the "thinness".

Ok, you can argue that you need to buy a superdrive, and an ehternet and firewire adapter. That puts some more pressure on the price of the new macbook, but still, not all people will need that.

And the screen has to be worth something.

RocaWear12

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
Do anybody think it's worth going to the apple store 3 hours befor the open today just to insure to get one today?

Jamieserg

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
great advert I was going to buy one of these but the base models only 250gb which for someone who works with video is not enough. But once the flash prices get cheaper and capacity goes up all mac laptops will be like this :)

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
:apple: Adverts are just too Cool,

One Focus
One App just be used

*** AWESOME**

unlike some
that will say its 16gb ram, its very thin, hmmm, SSD, HDMI will try to name everything within 30 secs or more.

U see an :apple: AD ................the difference is what makes u wanna own one

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
What is that person's finger doing at the end? It's like it's tapping somewhere in the middle of the keyboard? Like... wha? :confused:

Nice ad, but the ending for me kills it. Just doesn't make any sense, unless I'm being dense...

I think he hit the spacebar to play his finished movie.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Understood and I respect your points, but jesus, I mean tv commercials. I think a dedicated "Apple ads" page or subforum would be more appropriate.

If you can't figure out why this story is of interest I don't think you get this site at all. Apple has had some iconic ads and campaigns over the years and their marketing is fundamental to who they are.

If you don't care about the commercials skip the post. To suggest it belongs buried somewhere else because you don't understand is just ignorant.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
There are probably several reasons. Lots of space is needed for the battery so the Airs were out. Also, a dedicated video card was needed so the 13" didn't make sense. Plus, a 13" version would have meant another redesigned form factor and different display resolution. There will probably be a 13" version next year but it won't be appearing in the Airs for a long time. Also, lots of people value cheap, massive HDDs over expensive, fast flash storage.

Storage cost is a big issue. HDDs are way cheaper than blade SSDs. In fact, the retina display is actually priced less that the regular MBP. Upgrade the low end 15" to a 256 SSD and 8GB RAM and it is actually $200 more than the low end retina MBP. Either Apple is selling the retinas at a very good price or they overcharge for upgrades.

The profit margin on the retina MBPs must be fairly low. Apple is probably more interested in creating buzz and adding to their mystique than they are in selling mass quantities of the thing.

Yeah Apple is trailblazing the market. This is the computer of tomorrow. That means it is not the perfect fit for everyone today. When tomorrow comes though apple will be so far ahead in experience that the others will just be chasing them.

People are bummed about 2013 for the desktops but I think apple plans to do something then to reinvigorate the desktop market. Apple has never really been a leader in desktops for a very long time.

They are staking their claim in mobile and laptops and leading the way.

People talking Bout optical drives, Ethernet ports and traditional hard drives will look back five years from now and chuckle.

Many don't realize that apple is taking the lessons learned from creating the modern smartphone and tablet markets and applying them to their desktops and laptops.

Things are too expensive now but Apple wants to go to the future. This is why the desktops are delayed. They would be completely outdated in twelve months. Laptop prices and options will come down, but the fundamentals apple have instilled in the laptop line now will be what all but bargain basement laptops have in five years.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
It's too bad there are no televisions available with the resolution to show how good the retina display resolution is. I wonder if this will increase traffic to Apple Stores because that's the only way to see how good the new display is.

I hope not it sucks going to the Apple store now because of the crowds.

vikpt

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2012
Yes.

It's because this is a product that's meant to set the stage for a transition. Transitioning away from not having optical drives, no ethernet port, thinner profile. And the screen is new so it's expensive.

Apple wants the prices to drop for the screen production, so they can replace their existing lineup, not augment it. Maintaining a product-line that has two symmetric sets of Mac book pros (2 13" models and 2 15" models) is more expensive and in-efficient for Apple's focus and desire for having quickly moving inventory. The more variations you have of a product the more complex and greater the in-efficiencies.

This laptop allows a platform and runway for the software to catchup to retina screens and for ethernet and optical to have time to become even more irrelevant. In about 1-2 years apple will discontinue the thicker MacBooks and replace the line completely with the new thinner model at a better price point.

I really hope you're right! I really want a 13 in. thinner, retina MBP!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.