Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

144746-sdk_globe.jpg

Apple today released iPhone SDK 3.2 Beta 5 via the Phone Dev Center. The update comes only eight days after the previous release, a departure from Apple's trend of biweekly revisions.

We have yet to hear about any significant changes in the latest update, but we'll keep our eyes peeled as those with access to the SDK comb through it and report their findings.

Apple began taking pre-orders for the iPad in the U.S. last Friday, and Wi-Fi models of the device are expected to become available on April 3rd.

Article Link: Apple Releases Fifth Beta of iPhone SDK 3.2 for iPad

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
Is every beta SDK release going to be a front page story? Come on MR... that's a bit much, even for the people drooling over every bit of news related to the ipad.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
The camera and chat icons are back in!!! Woohoo!

Wait! They're not in! They're gone!

Now we need another week of speculation on why Apple added/removed them.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I Can't Believe It

:eek: Holy crap! I was just checking out the Simulator in the new SDK and ran across this:

[This part of the post has been edited to avoid NDA violation]

This is truly groundbreaking stuff, Apple! Way to go!

skestes

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2007
:eek: Holy crap! I was just checking out the Simulator in the new SDK and ran across this:

At first I was :confused: but then I :D

stanleyboy

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Portsmouth, England, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo
Holy crap! I was just checking out the Simulator in the new SDK and ran across this:

WHAT does this mean, i dont get it?

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
To be honest they need to release the FINAL version ASAP

I'm guessing based on the sudden release, they are ramping it up right now to get it released by end of next week in order to flash all the new iPads that's ready to leave.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Quote:
Holy crap! I was just checking out the Simulator in the new SDK and ran across this:

He's joking.

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
I'm guessing based on the sudden release, they are ramping it up right now to get it released by end of next week in order to flash all the new iPads that's ready to leave.

The SDK and the device can have slight variations as long as Apple is careful. They may be flashing them already. I'm sure there will be an update shortly after the iPad is released to sync everything up. This isn't as major of a release as 4.0 will be. I think that is exactly why they are releasing the iPad on 3.2 first. Fewer bugs out the gate. It will be interesting to see if there will be some iPad specific surprises when 4.0 hits.

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Only makes sense. It's gotta come out of beta before the 3rd right?

Sooner than that since we can't submit apps compiled with the beta sdk yet....and we need about a week or so before the release of the iPad so our apps can be approved

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
Quote:

Yeah, the new feature truly is magical! I can't even begin to fathom how it works. Too bad I can't share because I'm under NDA.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I hope this version of iPhone OS and iPhone 4 are substantial improvements.

Not that the current iPhone isn't good enough. But Android is starting to gain traction.

I'm hoping for higher screen resolution with smoother text. The text on Android is very crisp. But this may be difficult to do and be backwards compatible with current apps.

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
I hope this version of iPhone OS and iPhone 4 are substantial improvements.

Not that the current iPhone isn't good enough. But Android is starting to gain traction.

I'm hoping for higher screen resolution with smoother text. The text on Android is very crisp. But this may be difficult to do and be backwards compatible with current apps.

Apple has been working on Resolution Independence before the iPhone came out. They know fully well how they are going to do this when they have a higher resolution screen. The drawing APIs on the iPhone will all scale just fine because they are based on points and not pixels. Any vector graphics will look great with no changes. App developers will have to include higher resolution bitmap graphics if they want the sharper look. Currently Apple sets 1 pt to 1 pixel on the iPhone, but that will change when they move to a higher density screen. Backwards compatibility problems will be minimal to nonexistent. Main issues will have to do with cases that you want pixel aligned points, but there are already developer guidelines for that. If the guidelines were not followed, it would still probably look better then a lower res screen.

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Apple has been working on Resolution Independence before the iPhone came out. They know fully well how they are going to do this when they have a higher resolution screen. The drawing APIs on the iPhone will all scale just fine because they are based on points and not pixels. Any vector graphics will look great with no changes. App developers will have to include higher resolution bitmap graphics if they want the sharper look. Currently Apple sets 1 pt to 1 pixel on the iPhone, but that will change when they move to a higher density screen. Backwards compatibility problems will be minimal to nonexistent.

Thank you for explaining this- I am getting sick of reading people's comments saying that resolution independence will "break" the ui or something, which is simply incorrect.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Apple has been working on Resolution Independence before the iPhone came out. They know fully well how they are going to do this when they have a higher resolution screen. The drawing APIs on the iPhone will all scale just fine because they are based on points and not pixels. Any vector graphics will look great with no changes. App developers will have to include higher resolution bitmap graphics if they want the sharper look. Currently Apple sets 1 pt to 1 pixel on the iPhone, but that will change when they move to a higher density screen. Backwards compatibility problems will be minimal to nonexistent. Main issues will have to do with cases that you want pixel aligned points, but there are already developer guidelines for that. If the guidelines were not followed, it would still probably look better then a lower res screen.

Good to know. Hopefully we'll know more details in the next couple of months. I've got my fingers crossed for higher screen resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.