Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Why are these articles coming just a few hours before the release.... Why not just article with the release of the update itself.

EDIT: Did you just remove "Today" from the headline?

Yes, after release we tweak the headline.

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
Haters gonna hate because Animoji, while not a major feature, is the most tangible to millions of users outside of the geekdom.

Anyone arguing against them could also argue why millions and millions of people use snapchat filters. Get over it. Its the world we live in , people love this stuff. Its accessible to all ages and hilarious as hell when you put something like animoji in front of older people. Whats wrong with something thats simply.....fun?

If any critic is a "hater" to you, I would suggest anger management counselling.

It's not about Animojis per se, but about an iOS that's remained unchanged for years other than under-the-hood maintenance adjustments, and the most strongly publicised features with each release seem to be about iMessage balloons and Animojis.

PS. Animojis are tangible fun for the few millions who own an X-R-S iPhone but to the hundreds of millions who use SE through 8 are meaningless. That's also the world you live in, and those users would appreciate some new features that aren't locked to the new generation phones.

33man

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
I would love some more interesting features like profiles modes, enable only X app for background refresh, data access...
data consumption géo-localisation...

Anything more than animojiiii... Seriously... Apple...

I feel like in a Manga Naruto or one piece, when. The animes have to wait on the book to continue and the creators just put some feeding episodes meanwhile to keep the people addicted...

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
Does anyone over the age of 12 use Animojis? Why does Apple continue to spend money on this? Give me an accessible file system instead of a shark face.

How is the file system not accessible? Can you not use the Files app to browse it? Of course, 3rd party developers do have to set a flag to allow the Files app to read the user directory in their apps. But Apple has provided the ability for this to happen, since at least iOS 10, I think.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
I just love habitual complainers.

All kidding aside looking forward to the public beta today. I thought 3 was more stable than 4. Some odd behaviors from HomeKit and my philips lights and the homepods needing the account to be logged into. Could all be coincidence with the beta timing, but maybe others are experiencing. Otherwise most stable so far. Also hoping the 10 sec idle stutter is fixed as minor as it is....

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Well, as an adult user of Apple products I choose to ignore your contrarian trolling.
[doublepost=1552323621][/doublepost]

I believe that they seem to be unable to deliver both in the past few years and certainly it isn't due to lack of budget.
Okay so you do believe it’s one or the other...interesting. You may be in the minority here.

Edit: Are you in the developer program?

Last edited:

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Does anyone over the age of 12 use Animojis? Why does Apple continue to spend money on this?

Yes.

Not every feature is built for you. The teen to 30 year old crowd is the demographic that influences pop culture and drives spending so it’s no surprise that they focus on them and not the grumpy curmudgeons who frequent this site and do nothing but complain.

GregJohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2015
Saskatoon, SK
I’m still waiting for iOS 13 - I’m going to guess this will be the last beta (maybe 1 more) before the event which 12.2 will be released around that time.

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
Okay so you do believe it’s one or the other...interesting. You may be in the minority here.

Don't twist my words please.

You said "Do you believe Apple is such a small company it can either deliver Animoji or a substantial update?"

Which is a loaded question to boot. Well, no. I'm saying they CAN deliver both, they sure have the resources, but at the end of the day, they don't. And I don't know why. Clear?

PS. Funny that as a small company on the brink of bankruptcy they released much more fascinating products. Maybe they need to get hungry again. Or resurrect Jobs.

Last edited:
Reactions: decypher44

realtuner

Suspended
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
Sadly, so many adults become sclerotic in their ways as they get older, and lose the ability of being lighthearted, happy, and joyful. For them, it's much easier to maintain a sense of constant outrage.

I’m proud of the fact that at 55 I still get people telling me to act my age. Sorry, no. I’ll act how I feel/want. And if I want to send a poop Animoji to someone as a joke I’m going to, damn what anyone else says.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
I wish there was something that would interest me in this update as an iPhone 8 user that doesn't own an Apple TV and lives in Germany (therefore News and Apple cash are not available).

Quasi-curious about the new Safari features.
[doublepost=1552322463][/doublepost]

Happiness is also to use your ecosystem of choice and have it provide useful features across the board. Who are you to ostracise Apple users who simply want a better experience from their native platform?

The problem is not that Animoji's are an infantile gimmick –it's that all recent updates seem to be revolving around infantile gimmicks like Animoji's. Why can't we have both advanced features and playful little nothings?
Advanced features will be released in iOS 13. Why would you expect a major feature in 12.2 release and what advanced features are you expecting?

realtuner

Suspended
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
If any critic is a "hater" to you, I would suggest anger management counselling.

You said:

The problem is not that Animoji's are an infantile gimmick –it's that all recent updates seem to be revolving around infantile gimmicks like Animoji's. Why can't we have both advanced features and playful little nothings?

Let's see....
  • iOS 12.1 added several features (dual SIM support, Group FaceTime), added 70 emoji, had several bug fixes and numerous security updates.
  • iOS 12.1.1 also added several features, fixed several bugs and also fixed several security exploits.
  • iOS 12.1.2 had a few bug fixes.
  • iOS 12.1.3 had a few bug fixes.
  • iOS 12.1.4 had a few security fixes.
  • iOS 12.2 has new features, bug fixes, 4 new Animoji and security updates.

Your claim that "all recent updates seem to be revolving around infantile gimmicks like Animoji's" is demonstrably false. Therefore your original statement is not being critical, but rather deceitful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.