Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yangm

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2014
That didn't fix the problem with PPPoE over Fiber connections (will take ages to connect after reboot while configd eats all the cpu of the macs connected to the network).
In fact, it still has no native support for IPv6 over PPPoE.
Come on, Apple, it's getting ridiculous.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Me too, but Apple insists on making toys not real networking equipment. Well, I guess I should say not real networking equipment for technical people, I guess they work fine for Moms and teenagers who don't need to know when they have problems.
And this user, who's earned 3 engineering (industrial and civil) and 1 technical writing degrees and designed & built a few dozen bridges and buildings (all of them are working just fine, too...). Yup, no problems here with my AE thingy and zippy internet stuff and my Mini Server box thing, for months and months now. Maybe I'm not technical enough? :rolleyes:

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
I wonder if they didn't mention that the update fixes frequent dropouts with the new Airport Extreme because it doesn't fix frequent dropouts or because they don't want to admit what a massive bug it has been.
[doublepost=1464138955][/doublepost]
Love my AirPort Extreme, definitely the best router for home use ever built by any company

Which version do you have?

randolorian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2011
The problem I have is that my internet speeds occasionally drop to <1mbps and require a restart of my SB6141 to restore speeds. I've replaced the SB6141 with no improvement. Does this sound like the known problem with the AE ac?

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
I have Cox Communications as an ISP with a SB6141 and would have issues with maintaining an Internet connection as well. I changed my DNS server address to the Google Public DNS and that fixed my intermittent connection issues.

Hmmm. I have Comcast and an SB6141, but I also set my DNS server for the Time Capsule to 8.8.8.8 (That IS Google's DNS, correct?).
[doublepost=1464139540][/doublepost]
The problem I have is that my internet speeds occasionally drop to <1mbps and require a restart of my SB6141 to restore speeds. I've replaced the SB6141 with no improvement. Does this sound like the known problem with the AE ac?

Myself (and @NachoCox and @thewebb) also seem to have this issue. Though @NachoCox says he was able to fix it by using Google's Public DNS server (8.8.8.8), but that hasn't worked for me.

Edit: I have an AC Time Capsule

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I just updated my time capsule with the 7.7.7 and working fine. In fact a laptop I use in the house farthest away from the time capsule usually only got 4 bars for wireless strength now it's getting all 5 bars and it's much faster. Nice update!!

Reactions: Brian33

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Updated my older (flat form factor) Time Capsule and absolutely no noticeable difference. Which is how it should be with networking equipment. :)

Reactions: Brian33

thewebb

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2014
AZ
What modem do you use? Is it by any chance a Surfboard SB6141?

I have that modem and have to restart my Time Capsule every day or two because of connection issues. I've read that this is a pretty widespread issue :(
I have the previous generation Motorola Surfboard. The black one. So I guess it's a surfboard issue with the time machine? That's unfortunate :(
[doublepost=1464141019][/doublepost]
I have Cox Communications as an ISP with a SB6141 and would have issues with maintaining an Internet connection as well. I changed my DNS server address to the Google Public DNS and that fixed my intermittent connection issues.
How exactly is that done if you don't mind me asking? I have Cox as well and would love to fix this intermittent connection problem

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
My time capsule needs to be restarted probably about once a day because it will randomly lose connection to the modem. I hope this fixes that!
What modem do you use? Is it by any chance a Surfboard SB6141?

I have that modem and have to restart my Time Capsule every day or two because of connection issues. I've read that this is a pretty widespread issue :(

I had a 6121, the step-down model from the 6141. It worked fine for a couple years after I got it, but eventually I started getting internet connection issues. I tried using Google's DNS server, among other things, but none of it fixed it for me. I finally broke down and bought a netgear modem and have had zero issues since then. There's definitely some compatibility issue with, Motorola/Arris modems and Airport routers

Last edited:

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
I have the same (Cox, SB6141) and that is one of the problems that happened to me many times. It came down to multiple resets in the same day so I took my ac Time Capsule to Apple and had it replaced, which didn't help. Eventually, as mentioned earlier, I disabled IPv6 across my whole network and that seemed to fix it for me.

brewmonkey

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2016
After reading these comments about some of the issues lots of you have had with Airport base stations, I feel pretty fortunate that I have never encountered any myself. My AE 6th Gen (and the 5th Gen before it) feeds a 16-port switch with a dozen wired devices and another dozen or so wireless ones. Both AEs have been the best base stations I have ever used. By contrast, I previously had considerable trouble with all the several Linksys and Netgear base stations I've had.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I don't see the update yet for my time capsule. I have the AC version.

Something's not right. My 4th gen 3TB wasn't showing the little red dot "update available" indicator in airport utility - whereas all the OLDER devices were showing the red dot.

That said, I was still able to update the firmware on the 4th gen by clicking the "Update" button.

dmooreco

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2010
I have a 6141 and AE. My problems were solved by changing to a crossover cable between modem and router.

DaJoNel

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2014
It's truly sad that Apple is the only brand which STILL doesn't support IPv6 on Cox even with the latest update.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I have the same (Cox, SB6141) and that is one of the problems that happened to me many times. It came down to multiple resets in the same day so I took my ac Time Capsule to Apple and had it replaced, which didn't help. Eventually, as mentioned earlier, I disabled IPv6 across my whole network and that seemed to fix it for me.
12 service calls - 4 technicians ...finally Cox tells me...

We have known since December that this is a problem between Cox and Apple with IPv6 - we working with engineers to fix it...int he mean time disable IPv6

Google "Cox IPv6 Apple Router and you will get tons of results... :(

So far disable IPv6 has worked.

Reactions: grahamperrin

DaJoNel

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2014

We have known since December that this is a problem between Cox and Apple with IPv6 - we working with engineers to fix it...int he mean time disable IPv6

Interestingly enough, IPv6 just started working natively after updating my Time Capsule tonight. I'm in the Cox Omaha market for reference. And disclaimer: this makes no sense to me but I assure you it happened just as I say.

After the update, I switched from Link-Local to Automatic+Native and unlike before when I would get neither IPv4 nor IPv6 traffic, I retained IPv4 traffic (still no IPv6). A little progress at least, right? Then, just for curiosity's sake, I switched to Automatic+Tunnel and I suddenly began routing IPv6! The Time Capsule started blinking and complained about an IPv6 relay error. BUT, I still had Internet traffic and I scored 14/20 on IPv6-test.com. Very weird. Obviously, I wanted the indicator light to stop blinking so I changed it back to Automatic+Native. Then, it got even weirder. The Time Capsule isn't complaining, I still have IPv4 traffic but now I ALSO have IPv6 traffic with a score of 16/20! Try explaining that.

NachoCox

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2016
Omaha, NE
Hmmm. I have Comcast and an SB6141, but I also set my DNS server for the Time Capsule to 8.8.8.8 (That IS Google's DNS, correct?).
[doublepost=1464139540][/doublepost]

Myself (and @NachoCox and @thewebb) also seem to have this issue. Though @NachoCox says he was able to fix it by using Google's Public DNS server (8.8.8.8), but that hasn't worked for me.

Edit: I have an AC Time Capsule

The Google DNS servers are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

When going into the Airport Utility, select the router that is attached via WAN to your modem, and click Edit. Click on the Internet tab, and there should be fields labeled as DNS servers; normally, these are populated by your ISP, however you can force the router to use Google's (see above).

Interestingly enough, IPv6 just started working natively after updating my Time Capsule tonight. I'm in the Cox Omaha market for reference. And disclaimer: this makes no sense to me but I assure you it happened just as I say.

After the update, I switched from Link-Local to Automatic+Native and unlike before when I would get neither IPv4 nor IPv6 traffic, I retained IPv4 traffic (still no IPv6). A little progress at least, right? Then, just for curiosity's sake, I switched to Automatic+Tunnel and I suddenly began routing IPv6! The Time Capsule started blinking and complained about an IPv6 relay error. BUT, I still had Internet traffic and I scored 14/20 on IPv6-test.com. Very weird. Obviously, I wanted the indicator light to stop blinking so I changed it back to Automatic+Native. Then, it got even weirder. The Time Capsule isn't complaining, I still have IPv4 traffic but now I ALSO have IPv6 traffic with a score of 16/20! Try explaining that.

No idea how to explain your issues, but I am also in Omaha. Currently, my Time Capsule (AC model) is set to Configure IPv6 'Automatically' and IPv6 Mode 'Native' with Enable IPv6 Connection sharing checked. My traffic score was 17/20.

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
So annoying.

That's interesting. Just fyi, you can stop the light blinking on an AirPort device without "fixing" the "problem." Just 'ignore' whatever the alleged issue is from AirPort Utility and you can retain your settings and a steady green light.

DaJoNel

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2014
No idea how to explain your issues, but I am also in Omaha. Currently, my Time Capsule (AC model) is set to Configure IPv6 'Automatically' and IPv6 Mode 'Native' with Enable IPv6 Connection sharing checked. My traffic score was 17/20.

I have the same model. It's working fine now (although it did briefly back in March, too) and my phone now reports 19/20. There is no rhyme or reason to this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.