Apple Releases First Beta of iOS 11.1 for Public Beta Testers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 28, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released the first public beta of iOS 11.1 to its public beta testing group, just a day after seeding the beta to developers and a little over a week after releasing the iOS 11 update to the public.

Beta testers who have signed up for Apple's beta testing program will receive the iOS 11 beta update over-the-air after installing the proper certificate on an iOS device.

Those who want to join the beta testing program can sign up on Apple's beta testing website, which gives users access to iOS, macOS, and tvOS betas. iOS betas are not always stable and should not be installed on a primary device.

[​IMG]

While Apple has promised that some major features like peer-to-peer Apple Pay payments and iCloud support for Messages are coming in beta updates, those features are not present in the iOS 11.1 beta.

iOS 11.1 seems to feature only small changes like a tweak to add multiple emoji suggestions to the predictive text options on the built-in keyboard. There's also an updated camera icon under Restrictions, a new animation when tapping the status bar to scroll upwards, and a faster unlock animation.

iOS 11 is a major update to the iOS operating system, introducing significant design changes, a revamped Lock screen experience, a new Control Center, ARKit for developers, new app features, a new App Store, and an entirely reimagined interface for the iPad that includes a Dock, Drag and Drop support, and a new App Switcher for better than ever multitasking.

Article Link: Apple Releases First Beta of iOS 11.1 for Public Beta Testers

2. Tomapple macrumors member

Hey devs! How's this beta working compared to 11.0?

3. now i see it macrumors 65816

4. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

I think it said it was 1.95GB OTA, does that seem high?

5. ruchern macrumors member

I got 5 days of battery life with this update! Finally Apple got everything right. /s

6. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

2.11 on my 7 plus!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 28, 2017 ---
    man thats low. i got 12 days! its EPIC!

7. tkukoc macrumors 6502a

tkukoc

Some random bugs, fixed some previous ones though. One of the really nasty ones on Ipad's.. landscape mode within an app, turn back to portrait.. crash.. So that's not a fun one. Sometimes it won't crash right away, just lock up for 30 seconds then work. That's a combo of IOS bug and application, obviously depending on the app. On the phones.. haven't noticed any huge bugs, just more minor ones. You won't notice much of a change compared to 11.0 really.

8. Sharkoneau macrumors 6502

Sharkoneau

1.96 for me on my 7! Not high though, when you go from public release to a beta it downloads the full-sized software image.

9. Nozuka macrumors 68000

Would love to beta test this for apple, on the X

10. ruchern macrumors member

Try again when November arrives.

11. Jody Hewell macrumors newbie

Jody Hewell

I hope this fixes the Carplay issue of no longer working with Siri.

12. Moonlight macrumors 6502a

Moonlight

My iPhone 6 has crawled to a glacial pace since I updated to iOS 11. Even 11.0.1 didn't help. My phone hard crashes 3-5 times a day. I hope 11.1 fixes that.

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Huh. I just used Siri this morning to queue up an album to play on the way to work. Didn’t have an issue. Does it not work at all for you?

14. calzon65 macrumors 6502

calzon65

Get ready for a Tsunami of revisions.

Maybe they will get it fixed in about 6 to 8 months after a half dozen versions :rolleyes:

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Basically the typical software development lifecycle these days?

16. JMPATLANTA macrumors member

If anyone figures out the interaction with apps during a phone call bug, please let me know.

17. pentidoes macrumors 6502

pentidoes

Oh yes, the emojis will make up for the lack of a clear GUI, display problems and battery drain.
    It's all make-up. :)

18. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

Was ios11 supposed to offer a performance boost? If not, given how ios8 was the original for Iph6, I hear folks say that you should update no more than one major version of iOS, perhaps 2, in order to prevent... well, such performance hits.

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

There aren't any particular "rules" in place. People decide for themselves basically.

20. delonholmes macrumors newbie

delonholmes

One thing i've noticed in the settings app..when you swipe back to the main menu it slides in from the side and top

21. fh-ace macrumors newbie

I've seen the Siri bug when trying to get access while plugged into my sux audio port. No response. Turned off all Siri functions, restarted and turned them on and it seems to be working ok... for now. Cheers

22. Joel888 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue. Siri works with CarPlay though and when my iPhone's plugged in through USB, but if it's not plugged in, Siri doesn't work over bluetooth, even though my phone is connected through bluetooth. I tried un-pairing and repairing bluetooth, but it still doesn't work. I hope Apple release a fix for this and I hope it's not going to be on the car manufacturers' end to release an update for this, else that will never happen.

23. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

iOS 11 GM was end of the line for me, I'm afraid. These incremental updates are seldom exciting enough to be running beta software everyday.

24. chezhoy macrumors regular

chezhoy

had to uninstall my beta profile for the latest public update. now I had to put the beta profile back on to do the update as a beta tester...

25. macking104, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017

macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

When I do the five finger app close, all the app icons on desktop are gone... on iPad Air2 and 10.5” Pro... home button close method works fine...

Already submitted feedback.

Apple responded... works okaywith_ the [Reduce Motion] setting off...