Apple Releases First Beta of iOS 11.1 for Public Beta Testers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 28, 2017.

1. sleepydinosaur macrumors regular

sleepydinosaur

11 runs beautifully on my 7+. So I would not reccomend your recommendation.

2. crashfellow macrumors newbie

Just realised the flashing of my screen is because i have turned off background app refresh for Facebook and it's trying to notify me, then realises it shouldn't, so it flashes my screen and i see the notification count show up on the facebook icon.

3. Act3 macrumors 65816

7+ is a bit newer and triple the RAM over a 6, not sure your basis of not recommending his recommendation

4. CE3 macrumors 6502a

Does this mean the watchOS beta is available too?

5. WannaGoMac macrumors 68000

Last I heard 10.3.3 is still being signed by Apple for install, and I am not aware of any security bugs that iOS 11 fixes that leaves 10.3.3 exposed. The only hacks i really find of real world concern are remote hacks, the physical ones can be mitigated usually by a remote wipe. Perhaps you can cite some of these iOS 10.3.3 hacks available with and without physical access to the iphone?

As for speed issues, its already been documented by Ars Technica that a 5s is slower under iOS 11 and lots of anecdotal experiences have been described by users as well. Unfortunately, every iOS release is slower than the last.

6. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

I’m hoping .1 stomps out all these obvious bugs. Especially with the keyboard.

iOS 11 has such potential to be a game changer, but the bugs really destroy the experience.

7. crashfellow macrumors newbie

First phone call made on 11.1 and the iPhone X little bar at the bottom of the screen showed up over the call window haha awesome!

8. sbailey4, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Plug it in while on wifi and it should download the new voice. Seems that process happens from time to time with updates. Also that get the hi quality voice from what I remember.

[Edit] We crossed posts I had you multi quoted for a while just sitting there. I see your edit now. Yep that should do it. I believe its done to make iOS package smaller for transfer.

9. PickUrPoison macrumors 6502

It may be frustrating, but I don’t think it’s unexpected. The 5S is a 4 year old device with an A7 & 1GB.The latest HW platform is an A11 with 2 or 3GB. Between the A7 and A11 the performance gains are relatively large, huge wrt graphics. Similarly, the iPhone 6 (A8/1GB) is relatively underpowered to run iOS 11.

But beginning with the 6S/iPhone SE/$329 iPad, the A9/2GB platform reaches that “fast enough” point, where the differences from the newest HW aren’t so large. (But who’s to know whether the 6S running iOS 13 will be any less painful than is a 5S trying to run iOS 11? However, with the 6S HW being so similar to the 7, I like the odds.)

There is reason for optimism, though, that the 5S’s performance under iOS 11 will improve. Historically, older devices are slowest with the initial releases of the latest OS. After the dust settles and OS bugs are fixed—and maybe more importantly, ill-behaved apps are updated—the situation will improve. Apple will optimize iOS performance for older models, and to a lesser extent, third party developers will tweak their apps as well.

This goes against the “forced upgrade” narrative some like to push, but it’s proven to be true. Sometimes I wish Apple were more aggressive in cutting off newer OS support for older devices. But I guess they figure more people would rather have access to the latest OS, even if their device runs slower, than be stuck on the old OS. (Which would cause an even louder outcry from pushers of the “forced obsolescence” canard.)

10. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

definitely what i was afraid of . Glad i didnt update yet

11. mikefla macrumors 6502

Still seeing the once a day quick crashes on my 7+ not sure what's causing it but each time it has happened I usually have apple maps and pandora open. Hmmm...

-Mike

12. PickUrPoison macrumors 6502

The slowing to a glacial pace and 3-5 hard crashes per day experienced by the poster is not typical of iPhone 6 users overall. It’s certainly not what Apple observed for the iOS 11 gold master release, either.

If you’re not comfortable being an early adopter, don’t want to troubleshoot which app is now killing your battery life, or don’t want to deal with possibly having to downgrade to 10.3.3, I definitely wouldn’t upgrade until 11.1 or even 11.2.

I know some like to believe that an x.0 OS release shouldn’t have as many issues as they do, and in a perfect world that would be true, but that’s never been how it’s really worked. Bill Gates once said something to the effect of, the only real way to beta test something is to get it in the hands of a few million users.

13. Robert.Walter macrumors 65816

My 84 y/o mom and 50 smth sister both ran 11 from middle public beta on. They both have iPhones 6 and report the general release is running well and it fixed the big issues they saw in the PB.

I’ve got it on a 5S and had no issues during the public beta or gm releases.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 28, 2017 ---
    Ars test showed an imperceptible slowdown on the 5S and this tracks with my 5S. When I saw Ars result I was surprised it was slower because I hadn’t been able to see it.

On my 6S I did have on 11.0.0 a couple times where scrolling in safari bookmarks froze for between 5 & 10 seconds.

I’m on PB 11.1 on all now and the 6S seems to be generally faster than on any version of 11 that I’ve tested. If it’s slower than iOS 10 was I can’t feel it (keep in mind I moved off 10 a long time ago so my perception may not be accurate.)

14. Cesar Battistini macrumors member

Cesar Battistini

My battery actually got WAY better! I'm charging it once a day, and I am a VERY heavy user.

15. brilliantthings macrumors 6502

If Apple allowed users of older devices to revert back to older versions of iOS, they wouldn't get so much criticism.

16. PickUrPoison, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

PickUrPoison macrumors 6502

Agreed. Not every version but at least the last shipping version (i.e. 9.3.5, 10.3.3). Devices stuck on an older version should also get security updates, to the extent possible.

I’d be very interested in hearing their logic for having such a short signing window for the previous version after a new release, too.

17. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

remember to submit bug report in the feedback app...
    be sure you report the bg in the feedback app...

18. JDHiro macrumors regular

JDHiro

11 is horrible on my 7 Plus. The UI freezes for up to a minute multiple times a day, random phone reboots, the Music home screen app gets stuck in a bad state, Messages refuses to scroll all the way to the last message -- just tons and tons of little problems.

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

While I would love for this to exist, chances are there would be all kinds of other criticism as apps would drop support for older iOS versions and security exploits and other bugs might be present and on and on.

20. Keirasplace macrumors 68040

to prevent people/criminals using downgrading as a way to bypass security bugs. That's the reason.

Only way that would be averted would be to decouple security fixes and all other fixes. That's not always possible in an highly integrated platform like IOS and Apple probably doesn't want to put patching security completely in the hands of people. Also, debugging new systems would be harder for Apple because there would be a lot more configuration of IOS in release than now.

21. robertosh, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017

robertosh macrumors 6502a

robertosh

My recommendation was for people with an iPhone 6 or older ;)
    if it is something big we will have the security update in iOS 10 as well. You are right, it's a security problem but I prefer to change my passwords once per week instead of having a horrible experience every time I use the phone.

Anyway, I will have always the chance to update in future

22. Pruus macrumors member

Pruus

Please use the feedback to Apple to tel them what You have found. I would thank You for that!

23. yansun macrumors regular

You would not recommend his recommendation to not install iOS 11 on an iPhone 6 or older because it runs beautifully on your iPhone 7+?

24. VespiYT macrumors newbie

VespiYT

People saying iphone 6 is slow on ios 11, did you buy your ip6 at release? If so try switching battery, I run ios 11.0.1 on my ip6 smooth. The iphone slows down the cpu to compensate battery wear