Apple Releases First Beta of iOS 11.2 for Public Beta Testers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 1, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released the first public beta of iOS 11.2 to its public beta testing group, one day after seeding the beta to developers and more than a month after releasing the iOS 11 update. The new iOS 11.2 beta comes just after the release of iOS 11.1, which was provided to the public yesterday.

Beta testers who are members of Apple's beta testing program will receive the iOS 11.2 beta update over-the-air after installing the proper certificate on an iOS device.

[​IMG]

Those who want to join the beta testing program can sign up on Apple's beta testing website, which gives users access to iOS, macOS, and tvOS betas. iOS betas are not always stable and should not be installed on a primary device.

While there are several major features that Apple has promised will come in later iOS 11 updates, including AirPlay 2, peer-to-peer Apple Pay, and iCloud support for iMessages, none of these features appear to be present in the current iOS 11.2 beta.

The iOS 11.2 update fixes an animation bug in the Calculator app that caused some numbers and symbols to be ignored when entered in rapid succession. The update removes the animations from the calculator app so calculations can be done quickly with no need to pause between entering numbers to obtain the correct result.

In addition to the Calculator bug, iOS 11.2 introduces a new Now Playing option for controlling content on the Apple TV in Control Center, redesigned camera emoji, and a new loading animation for Live Photos effects.

Article Link: Apple Releases First Beta of iOS 11.2 for Public Beta Testers

2. DeathBecomesMe macrumors regular

DeathBecomesMe

3. CrEsTo macrumors 6502

CrEsTo

4. Wildkraut macrumors 6502a

Wildkraut

Does Podcast still miss "Mark as played" button, unlike older iOS version?

5. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Waiting for iCloud messages and Apple Pay iMessages already !

6. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

is icloud messages really going to let windows users imessage from the browser on PC?

7. 576316 macrumors 601

No. That's not what iCloud for Messages means - though you're forgiven, because that's what a lot of us wanted it to mean when it was announced. In reality, it just means your conversations sync between devices via iCloud. For example, at the present moment, if you delete a conversation on one device it still exists on all others. iCloud for Messages fixes that and keeps everything synced. Also because on Apple Watch you end up with a gigantic list of conversations in Messages because it's too much effort to delete conversations on AW.

8. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

How about a turn off all iOS animations setting for older iPhones? :)

9. AMG_FACLGVR Suspended

Would be amazing if they do this. I work in a PC environment at work as a engineer so everything is windows based. I would love to use icloud to text and talk to my friends/family on my pc while im working using my keyboard!

10. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

Wonder how private all this stays now that it's "stored in the cloud" versus synced across devices in the cloud?

11. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

ah thank you that makes much more sense

i use an old jailbroken iphone 4s to accommodate this with the cydia app remote messages - it is beautiful, full sms and imessage via browser on pc. I thought I wasnt going to need it anymore!

12. alayal macrumors member

I share a feedback about that in ios feedback app. Do the same!! it would be great to have messages and maps on iCloud.com

13. AppleMad98004 macrumors 6502

I believe the reason iMessages in the cloud is not released are legal issues. Currently Apple stores nothing. If they start storing in the cloud to facilitate this it would be something courts could order Apple to turn over data because they would have it.

14. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

Shame apple doesn't care anymore about Windows applications as they used to. Now that Apple has a solid Mac OS user base, they have little interest in helping Windows users. Guess we should be glad they havent scrapped iTunes for Windows yet

15. mikesch macrumors member

If you’re getting an iPhone X on Friday, don’t update to this beta. I just checked the public beta XML on Apple‘s servers and the iPhone X identifiers (iPhone10,3 and iPhone10,6) can’t be found in there. There also isn’t any sign of iPhone X support for the developer beta, neither in the XML nor in the restore images listed in the Apple Developer portal.

So, if you update to iOS 11.2 beta, be aware that iPhone X support might not be added until beta 2. If your old iPhone is running iOS 11.2, you might not be able to restore that backup to iOS 11.1 on iPhone X.

16. JWreck macrumors member

JWreck

So does this include AirPlay 2 functionality or not? Haven’t seen a clear answer yet.

17. WilliamG macrumors G3

If you’re upgrading to iPhone X, I’d wait on this one. Otherwise you need to activate the new phone, upgrade to iOS 11.2 there, and then restore from your backup.

18. UnionVGF macrumors 6502a

UnionVGF

Maybe they'll tackle the mail spinning gear bug this time? They've known about it.

19. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

The even bigger perk that I believe most people are waiting for, is that if you do a clean install of your device then iMessages will sync back down like photos/contacts/everything else. Currently, not wanting to lose messages is why I and many others always restore from a backup and never set up as new.

20. sbailey4 macrumors 68040

sbailey4

Well it depends on what you view as important. Apps fixed, security updates, performance? Any of those important? If no, then yeah, no new emojis sorry :)

21. WitneySi macrumors newbie

WitneySi

Oh great, a redesigned camera emoji. Just what we’ve been calling out for!

22. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

these 11.x updates should really be 11.0.x

give us apple pay in iMessage to make it 11.1, new emojis shouldn't count.

23. makingdots macrumors 6502

Dude. That's available already.

Tap Accessibility to go into the group of settings made for folks with disabilities. Tap on Reduce Motion, then toggle the feature to ON.

24. ocyrus macrumors member

Such an entitled statement.

25. Act3 macrumors 68000

That doesn’t kill all animations. Accessibility settings are not just for folks with disabilities. Many settings in there are for everyone , reachability and 3D Touch for a couple examples.