Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first beta of an upcoming macOS Catalina 10.15.1 update to developers, just days after releasing macOS Catalina to the public.

The new macOS Catalina beta can be downloaded using the Software Update mechanism in System Preferences after installing the proper software from the Developer Center.

test-macOS-10.15-800x522.jpg

It's not yet known what improvements the first update to macOS Catalina will bring, but it likely includes performance improvements and fixes for bugs that weren't able to be addressed in the first version of Catalina.

macOS Catalina is a major update that eliminates iTunes in favor of new Music, Podcasts, and TV apps, nixes support for 32-bit apps, adds a new Find My app, brings a new Photos interface, and includes multiple privacy enhancements and other app refinements.

For full details on what's new in macOS Catalina, make sure to check out our macOS Catalina roundup.

Update: According to Apple's release notes, macOS Catalina 10.15.1 introduces support for the AMD Navi RDNA eGPU architecture and brings some changes to Photos. You can now filter by Favorites, Edited, Photos, Videos, or Keywords in the All Photos view, and you can choose View > Metadata > Titles to enable titles and filenames in the All Photos View.

Article Link: Apple Releases First Beta of Upcoming macOS Catalina 10.15.1 Update

Last edited:

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
I haven't kept up with all of the latest talk about Catalina, to be honest.... But my co-workers have been running it ever since the early betas and they insist the release is currently far too buggy for us to consider allowing the rest of our users to install it. (A group of 5 of us do I.T. for a company with around 100 employees, and roughly half of them are using Macs. I've been side tracked lately with some Windows issues so haven't played as much with Catalina.)

I don't think we have any 32-bit only applications we're so worried about losing support for? That's a much bigger issue for my home system where I run some music software (which notoriously breaks with new OS X releases and often takes many months to get updated for one), and some native OS X games which likely weren't updated for it either.

But the issues they're encountering seem to revolve around file system changes. It appears to me that Apple is trying to do sort of a "firewall for disk access" in the OS, where an application specifically needs to be granted "full disk access" under the Privacy settings in "Security & Privacy" in Preferences? Otherwise, it can fail to run properly. And even if new software installations are smart enough to start prompting to automatically add themselves there, as needed? It doesn't happen for all the existing stuff you had on a previous OS X install like Mojave if you just do an OS X upgrade.

I know Microsoft has already been trying to implement a lot of new file permissions/security stuff in Office 365 that gave us lots of hassles on the Mac side. (Strange issues where documents would get errors trying to save them, but only randomly -- and a reboot of the Mac would solve the problem again for a while.) It sounds like Catalina makes all of this worse?

maxdefcon

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2007
Can anyone confirm if this fixes the wireless link speed display "bug?" in Network Utility? My home network wireless speed supports 1 Gbit/s and showed this in previous versions of macOS with no problem. Now it shows 304.2 Mbit/s, but I tested with iperf3 and a regular internet speed test... getting well above the 304.2 Mbit/s. (My home ISP is 400 Mbps).

Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 4.12.20 PM.png

Konigi

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2017
Montréal, Québec
I'm probably going to hold off until .1 is released before installing Catalina. I hope this one fixes a lot of bugs!

And I'm surprised that the beta came a couple of days after the release of the latest OS. Usually betas are ready the day after, aren't they?

Last edited:
Reactions: 28Gauge

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
I haven't kept up with all of the latest talk about Catalina, to be honest.... But my co-workers have been running it ever since the early betas and they insist the release is currently far too buggy for us to consider allowing the rest of our users to install it. (A group of 5 of us do I.T. for a company with around 100 employees, and roughly half of them are using Macs. I've been side tracked lately with some Windows issues so haven't played as much with Catalina.)

I don't think we have any 32-bit only applications we're so worried about losing support for? That's a much bigger issue for my home system where I run some music software (which notoriously breaks with new OS X releases and often takes many months to get updated for one), and some native OS X games which likely weren't updated for it either.

But the issues they're encountering seem to revolve around file system changes. It appears to me that Apple is trying to do sort of a "firewall for disk access" in the OS, where an application specifically needs to be granted "full disk access" under the Privacy settings in "Security & Privacy" in Preferences? Otherwise, it can fail to run properly. And even if new software installations are smart enough to start prompting to automatically add themselves there, as needed? It doesn't happen for all the existing stuff you had on a previous OS X install like Mojave if you just do an OS X upgrade.

I know Microsoft has already been trying to implement a lot of new file permissions/security stuff in Office 365 that gave us lots of hassles on the Mac side. (Strange issues where documents would get errors trying to save them, but only randomly -- and a reboot of the Mac would solve the problem again for a while.) It sounds like Catalina makes all of this worse?

Got me. I know there are some ill-behaved apps that try to do a bunch of crap they shouldn't be doing. Example, google chrome wanting full disk access, screen recording, and the installer requiring automation. uh, uh, ain't going to happen. So far I have turned off permissions, and have not run into many problems with chrome (updates fail, unless I give them permission). My bet is we find out a.lot of apps are grabbing too much stuff for no valid user purpose,

To answer your broader complaint. No, I am having no problems with Catalina.
[automerge]1570816905[/automerge]
All peoples using 10.15.0 is doing beta test now as it’s the least stable version ever.
haha, no it's not. it works great. Maybe you have some quirky not standard stuff?

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
its that all its updating? no bugs?? :(
Not the ones affecting me. I have two ... Applescripts which manipulate Calendar events are failing as it seems their own procedures don't pass the correct parameters to Calendar. The other bug is that I can't add Siri results (such as "convert £1 into euros") to the Notification Centre.

Both bugs still exist. Feedbacks updated.

Overall, Catalina is actually pretty good for me.

Reactions: haddy

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States

Without belaboring you with all the details that my mind cannot quite recall as I stand in my backyard, I would tell you to stay away from macOS Catalina right now.

I am as adventurous as they come with betas and what not, but this has been as bad or worse than El Crapitan and High As Sierra when it comes to just obnoxious junk that should work. Updated to the final on my 2016 MacBook Pro and playing anything through the Apple TV apps is just a pain in the ass as the cursor disappears and won’t return until I Command-Tab to the Finder. So while the TB allows me to scrub, I cannot click on the icon for less than full screen, and the cursor is invisible while it pops up the names of apps in my Dock. Just inexcusable sh*t at this point. And don’t get me started on all the frogging security pop-ups. Comparing it to Vista is NOT hyperbole. I get the need, but jeez, it’s a train wreck. The Security pop-ups are not helpful and are almost as cryptic as Vista’s we’re back in 2007.

• Wow
Reactions: Morod

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
The least stable version of OS X was the inaugural release.
Amen...good grief, talk about a CF...and slow. MacOS X 10.1 fixed a lot of things and for me, Jaguar was good at the end with 10.2.6, Panther, better once 10.3.3 shipped, Tiger at 10.4.4, Leopard by 10.5.6, SL at 10.6.8, Lion was complete crap through every release, ML was fine by 10.8.5, Mavericks I never really even remember using that much, Yosemite took until 10.10.4, Sierra by 10.12.4, HS by 10.13.4 and for me Mojave 10.14.5 was more stable than 10.14.6. I hold out hope that Catalina will be better by 10.15.4, there is still a ways to go, unfortunately.

EDIT: Forgot El Crapitan, which was fine by 10.11.4. Pretty good, actually, by the time it hit 10.11.6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.