Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cparrott73

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2019
All peoples using 10.15.0 is doing beta test now as it’s the least stable version ever.

Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised by 10.15.0, after hearing all the horror stories.

I decided to try upgrading my Mac Mini first, as it is my secondary system, and it wouldn't be the end of the world if things went sideways. I did have to upgrade a few apps to newer 64-bit versions, such as Cisco AnyConnect for my company's VPN. I had a few old Steam games on it that were 32-bit only and no longer playable. There are a couple I will miss, but not the end of the world.

Only issue I had during the upgrade on the Mini was that it got stuck on the "Setting Up Your Mac" screen after the initial reboot, before I could log in. I looked around, saw that others had the same issue, and followed the recommendation to power cycle the system. Once I did that, it came up fine. I was actually pleased to have some more free disk space, I guess since all of the 32-bit support had been removed. I also had to log out and log back into iCloud, wait on Mail.app to update its database, and answer affirmative to a bunch of security prompts as I opened various apps. After those minor annoyances, it's actually pretty nice. My old Mini seems incrementally less sluggish than before.

I then went ahead and upgraded my MacBook Pro as well. Similar issue with having to update a few old 32-bit apps like the VPN, but at least it didn't get stuck on the "Setting Up Your Mac" screen this time. Again, I was pleased to have some extra space on the SSD freed up.

Is Catalina perfect? No, but it didn't render my Macs into heaping piles of goo, either. I figure Apple will clean up a few of the rough edges in the forthcoming updates.

That said, I get the reasons for why some people will want to hold off on the upgrade - mainly, some of the iTunes/Apple Music XML file breakage affecting some of the popular DJ apps, and some other old essential 32-bit apps that haven't been updated yet.

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2010
I hope the addition to Navi eGPU support is also a hint that the rumored 16" will include a Navi mobile GPU.

jmiddel

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2010
Land of Enchantment
I haven't experienced any major problems with Catalina - so far. Though going forward I wish Apple would distribute major new features to macOS & iOS throughout the year, rather than promising a bunch of new things in one big release in the fall. Their strategy needs to change.

That makes total sense, and they probably won’t ever do it because it so much more exciting to release something shiny every year

Mase03

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2014
I use it since 2-3 days ago. Major pain in the back side is the preview app... after searching through a pdf u cant select any text... u have to close the file and reopen it to be able to select text.
anyone else noticed this?

Davplop

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2019
Hello, just done the update for my Mac and went To encrypt my memory stick but the old method of doing it does not work anymore and was wondering If anyone could tell me how to encrypt my memory card, thanks.

Babygotfont

Suspended
May 16, 2016
Disagree. That still goes to Yosemite 10.10.0. The public release of Catalina has no major problems, unlike some of the betas.

I agree ... I went the clean install route ... there were issues but I worked through them ... currently running my VM’s (parallels, fusion and vbox) without incident ...

realitydcf

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2014
After installing Mac OS Catalina 10.15.1 beta, my custom hard drive icons are all gone except for my internal drive, which still has its.

flexiboy1912

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
Lets hope this fixes the Music app farce affecting thousands of people where there is a memory leak and the app consumes all the RAM before crashing the Mac whilst its uploading the the artwork.

33 crashed so far and its still trying to trawl through my library , got lots of missing artwork still.

Reactions: joelovesapple

CBlakeston

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Any news on a search fix for the TV app? I realise it’s probably a ‘feature’ not a bug but it’s ridiculous local search has been dropped, meaning finding anything in a local library is impossible.

I can’t believe it’s not a bigger story. People go mad when emojis are wrong but make it impossible to search a decade of movies and TV shows and no headlines what so ever.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
I’m still waiting for the fix for the “installation could not be completed because couldn’t write Opt” blah blah haha. It basically gets you past the point of no return then goes on vacation. Lol

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I use it since 2-3 days ago. Major pain in the back side is the preview app... after searching through a pdf u cant select any text... u have to close the file and reopen it to be able to select text.
anyone else noticed this?

Didn't even search for it to not work, I tried to copy something, didn't work.
Not really a huge problem for me, I occasionally use this feature, I do realise it might be a big problem if you use it continuously though.

Peadogie

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2019
Georgia, USA
i wish apple would go back to releasing macOS every 18-24 months instead of every year...
Snow Leopard for me was really good, I loved that OS a lot
I agree. Updating every 12 months is really kind of a pain. Apple seems to think that new iPhones have to have a new OS and their mobile devices dictate what they do in macOS.
Snow Leopard was undoubtedly my favorite.
I usually wait for the .2 update before installing but I liked the Catalina .9beta so much that I decided to go for it. So far I'm really liking it. Is it perfect? No. No OS ever is

Last edited:
Reactions: Morod

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
i wish apple would go back to releasing macOS every 18-24 months instead of every year...

Snow Leopard for me was really good, I loved that OS a lot
This would be a good approach I think, particularly as they’ve been adding features in dot releases over the last few years.

It would also mean less frequent breaking changes for more system dependent apps that often need an update (eg hypervisors).

racingbull

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013

I definitely agree with you:
With macOS Catalina, Apple has completed a huge transition. I'd like to go back to a 24 month macOS release cycle allowing more stable platforms to build-upon: 18 months for platform development, 6 months beta testing. Multiple features can be added during each release cycle.
I wonder whether Apple can keep up with the yearly iOS release cycle... iOS and its user face area becoming increasingly complex...

Reactions: Morod
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.