Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheChemist

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2006
Repair disk permissions ran more slowly under leopard and had an SUID file issue or two. I don't remember seeing any files being repaired. I updated to 10.5.1 and got the following messages:

<...>

Anyone have similar issue or have some direction? The issues are occurring on a 17" Powerbook, 1.67 GHz G4

I had this issue on my MBP, installed the 10.5.1 update a second time and disk utility no longer reported those problems.

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
Anyone else notice that this update seems to be utilizing less RAM?

I meant to follow with that. I'm running 2 GB and Leopard was using almost twice as much RAM as Tiger did. Now with this update is seems to use just a little more than Tiger did. Definitely feel good about that one. Though I haven't done any heavy photoshop yet so we'll see.

I have had a minor iCal quirk, and I would like to know if anyone else has noticed this as well. It seems that the icon in the doc no longer displays the current date.

Awww.... shows the wrong date for me too. I've waited so long for that to get fixed. :(

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
I have had a minor iCal quirk, and I would like to know if anyone else has noticed this as well. It seems that the icon in the doc no longer displays the current date. Is this just one of those fixes that causes a bug?

NO, I don't have that problem. How common is this?

Anyone else?

keirnna

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2006
Japan
I know that everyone always says updates feel snappier, but I really, honestly do notice a difference. My iMac 24" Alumi was sluggish after my tiger upgrade, but not it is much faster. Apps start faster and the mac boots up faster.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Don't notice any difference on my 2.16Ghz MacBook. Stacks is apparently unchanged, so it's still rubbish compared to folders in the dock in Tiger, albeit prettier to browse a single folder.. and er.. nice for people who are fetishistic about the left mouse button doing everything.

So I vote negative, sorry, and will do on every update that goes by without this being attended to. If it was in Panther, Tiger and earlier builds of Leopard, then it must be possible.

tribulation

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
jackson hole, wy
No offense but if you have a room full of Mac Pro's in a production setting why the hell are you putting a brand new OS on all of them? Anyone in a mission critical setting would never upgrade immediately after release. Why do you think Vista is being adopted so slowly in most corporate settings.

The design studio I work for has upgraded a couple machines with no issues what-so-ever running CS3 to the brink. It does not matter what company we are talking about there is always going to be some issues with every major OS release. 10.6 will be no different. At least Apple is working on fixes rather quickly. Chill out.

too many 100s of comments to read but had to respond
i never said our company is running 'mission critical' systems
my post was to illustrate the obvious lack of testing on apple's end with leopard.we dual booted them all to test and see how widespread the problem was and is evident with every mac pro we have which points out the total lack of quality testing on apple's behalf with leopard

after the problems showed up on 3 of them we knew what the outcome would be on the rest but had to try to satisfy our curiosity.and yes they all failed. every mac pro we have has the exact same major problems and they were purchased at different times throughout the year

so it is 100% BAD testing or giving a sh#@ from apple with leopard and this is not an isolated incident

I hate to tell you this dude, but you need a new video card! I'm betting you have one of the first Mac Pros with a rev1 X1900. If you have Applecare, call Apple and get your video card replaced. Trust me! I had those exact same glitches. After having Apple replace my X1900, they are gone! I have been monitoring a HUGE discussion at Apple about this here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1195969

The reason your faulty X1900 is more apparent in Leopard than it was in Tiger is due to the fact that the entire OS interface (eye-candy) relies on the GPU and pushes it harder than Tiger did. Basically poorly designed cooling systems on the card is causing the video RAM to get toasted. This is more of an ATI issue than an Apple one.

like i said though out of our 6 plus my own mac pros they are all bad? i really dont think so.i could maybe understand even 2 or 3 at worst but all? no way.
and with the mac pro + x1900 horsepower,if leopard is taking up THAT much processing power just for the system,so much more than tiger,i dont think older macs would be able to even boot up

leopard is more graphics heavy but i dont think it is anywhere near enough to be overpowering these systems.maybe i am wrong ------- i'm not trying to start an argument but would love to know what is happening with all of this

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
No. Don't worry about it.

Well, httpmail launched a new version compatible with Leopard...apart from the fact that it has always frozen my Mail for a while when finding Hotmail messages on Tiger, it's ok...

Trash what? 10.5.1 worked perfectly.

Apple's history does NOT inspire confidence when it comes to updates. Apple has a KNOWN history of putting out patches and then removing them because they screwed something up.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
too many 100s of comments to read but had to respond
i never said our company is running 'mission critical' systems
my post was to illustrate the obvious lack of testing on apple's end with leopard.we dual booted them all to test and see how widespread the problem was and is evident with every mac pro we have which points out the total lack of quality testing on apple's behalf with leopard

after the problems showed up on 3 of them we knew what the outcome would be on the rest but had to try to satisfy our curiosity.and yes they all failed. every mac pro we have has the exact same major problems and they were purchased at different times throughout the year

so it is 100% BAD testing or giving a sh#@ from apple with leopard and this is not an isolated incident

Sorry to hear that you are having persistent troubles.

Do you have Applecare? Because this is definitely your local issue and is not as widespread as you presume. I have never seen your problem and I have seen many many mac pros with X1900 GPUs. I have 20 in my business, I am using a mac pro now, and I have been to several Apple stores with the same config of mac pro. No problem with Leopard.

Are you performing clean installs or are you upgrading from Tiger with some pre-existing software? I wonder if there is a piece of software or a third party Tiger hack that is causing your problem? Are your mac pros all the same revision and using similar monitors?

It does sound like an over-heating graphics card but I would have thought you would have the same problem under Tiger.

Strange!

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
You lie!

Are you performing clean installs or are you upgrading from Tiger with some pre-existing software? I wonder if there is a piece of software or a third party Tiger hack that is causing your problem? Are your mac pros all the same revision and using similar monitors?

I'm covering my eyes and ears - NO! NO! NO!

All I've heard is that Apples are perfect, and only the Windows systems have DLL hell due to strange application and upgrade issues.

Are you telling me that Apples have the same issues? Methinks that you are!

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
I'm covering my eyes and ears - NO! NO! NO!

All I've heard is that Apples are perfect, and only the Windows systems have DLL hell due to strange application and upgrade issues.

Are you telling me that Apples have the same issues? Methinks that you are!

All I can tell you Aiden is that I have tried installing Leopard on my mac pro three different ways.

1) Upgrade directly over tiger.
2) Erase and install, used migration assistant to bring apps over.
3) Erase and install, re-loaded apps and moved files selectively.

Methods 1 & 2 succeeded but each had different issues.
Method 3 worked everytime.

However I never experienced the issue that tribulation was having with the GPU.

Apple's history does NOT inspire confidence when it comes to updates. Apple has a KNOWN history of putting out patches and then removing them because they screwed something up.

So SiliconAddict did you install Leopard when you first purchased it? Or did you wait until 10.5.1 before you installed Leopard? Or are you waiting for revison 2 before you perform your first install of Leopard?

exoticona

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2007
Installed Leopard and Widgets don't work along with other things

:eek:http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/eek.gif
I just installed Leopard on a partition, and am so glad I backed everything up. First off, it takes about 2 hours to install, and the installer seems to get hung up in the end for a hell of a lot more than the 2 minutes it shows. Then, to my great disappointment I find that the Widgets don't work, Photoshop 7 will not open, Bryce 5 can't be saved, and the Wacom Tablet is sluggish, and the mouse is catawompish. Thankkkkk goodness I didn't do an entire clean install, and YES do back up EVERYTHING. It's also a good thing I have another computer in which I firewired additional back-up to. Whewwww... the sweat was a coming. This is the problem with the updates, the software producers just don't catch up all the time. Looks like I will have to keep Panther, and Tiger separate on other partitions and drives for now. Any others find this out?

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
:eek:http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/eek.gif
I just installed Leopard on a partition, and am so glad I backed everything up. First off, it takes about 2 hours to install, and the installer seems to get hung up in the end for a hell of a lot more than the 2 minutes it shows. Then, to my great disappointment I find that the Widgets don't work, Photoshop 7 will not open, Bryce 5 can't be saved, and the Wacom Tablet is sluggish, and the mouse is catawompish. Thankkkkk goodness I didn't do an entire clean install, and YES do back up EVERYTHING. It's also a good thing I have another computer in which I firewired additional back-up to. Whewwww... the sweat was a coming. This is the problem with the updates, the software producers just don't catch up all the time. Looks like I will have to keep Panther, and Tiger separate on other partitions and drives for now. Any others find this out?

Most of your problems are related to using the upgrade option.

Use something likeCarbon Copy Cloner to backup your entire Tiger system so that it is safe. Then use erase and install to install Leopard. It is a lot more of a pain because you will have to re-install your apps and widgets from the original install source not just moving the programs over manually.
Some apps are happy with just a manual re-location, some are not and need a re-installation. I know that Bryce 5 and photoshop 7 work fine under leopard but need a fresh install.

eme jota ce

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago
Installed with good results on Mac Mini and MB 2.0 C2D

Well,

The Leopard upgrade has not fulfilled all that was promised by or hoped from the earlier marketing promises, e.g. Airport TimeMachine for MacBooks, Back to My Mac being functionally equal or superior to Timbuktu, and others concerns.

Nonetheless, the 10.5.1 upgrades have improved performance on the Mac Mini and the MB C2D, which only runs FileVault users and had experienced noticeable increases in the beach ball from Tiger to Leopard.

Still, those pre-Lepoard backup drives with Tiger running are too valuable to tune into TimeMachine backups. Too bad, I had hoped to flip those drives weeks ago, but Leopard has not been performing in a way that has instilled full confidence. 10.5.1 seems like a step in the right direction.

Overall, 10.5.1 was worth installing on Mac Mini and MB C2D

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Don't notice any difference on my 2.16Ghz MacBook. Stacks is apparently unchanged, so it's still rubbish compared to folders in the dock in Tiger, albeit prettier to browse a single folder.. and er.. nice for people who are fetishistic about the left mouse button doing everything.

So I vote negative, sorry, and will do on every update that goes by without this being attended to. If it was in Panther, Tiger and earlier builds of Leopard, then it must be possible.

Try out the overlays for Stacks:
http://t.ecksdee.org/post/19001860

It may not change their functionality, but they look a lot better and you don't need to memorize which is which or float your cursor over each one to get their names. (I would guess that this link has already been posted in this forum but I didn't feel like looking through the 23 pages to make sure.)

I'm surprised that Apple didn't design them with the drawer overlays or something similar in the first place.

jphall

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
After playing with Leopard for a week on an external drive, I finally cloned onto my MBP's internal drive after the 10.5.1 update.

It is funny how weird Tiger's Finder looks to me, like I don't know where I am! I had not thought it was that different, or that I was that used to Leopard.

I have found the Quick Look to be awesome, especially for my digital camera's movie files. I do a search for "mpg" in the Finder and all the movie files are there in one folder, with a preview image that is so easy to see, using the gridded tile option- I never used this view in Tiger and had to look right now to confirm that it was available there. I select a file and click on the space bar and I am watching the movie- it is able to go full screen and back easily. This is far superior to looking for and watching my movie files in iPhoto.

I used the copy install DVD to external partition, then restore the image to another partition, then install from the DVD clone on the external to yet another partition. Installed my apps to that install, updated all the Apple stuff, and then cloned that partition to yet another partition which I booted from and used Migration Assistant to move my data from a clone of the MBP internal drive.

After several days of using the migrated install, plus getting the .1 update installed, I then zeroed out the internal and cloned to it. It is so good to be mobile again. And the wait for Leopard has been worth it!

I'm still using CCC for my backups, will consider TM with the next update or if I just get the hankering to fool around with it. Hasn't happened yet.

Joel.

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
My sound on my macbook speakers isn't working. i did a fresh install and the sound still isn't working. the sound works over my speakers but not on my macbook! :mad::mad::mad:

i still love you :apple:

Look in the 3.5" headphone/speaker socket: is there a red light shining? if so, waggle a matchstick inside to reset the socket. This is hardware rather than software by the sounds of it...

Bloody hell, you lot. 23 pages?! This could almost be a Windows forum with all the woe and trauma going on out there. I'm sooooo glad I'm still on Tiger. I think I might stay that way for a little while longer, too! :eek:

armani

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
iMac Graphics Firmware Update 1m I thought it would fix animation issues? Stacks are still stuttering when opened in grid. I guess we have to wait. Some things do look snappier to me tough.

anthroid

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2005
seriously? that's weird.

I have a 12" PB but have not installed 10.5 yet. A question... how does Leopard run on it? Better than Tiger?

i have a 12" 1GHz G4 powerbook:

safari is much faster.
mail is faster.
scrolling is faster.
animations are flawless.

it's worth the upgrade for Spaces alone, especially with only 12" of screen real estate.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Try out the overlays for Stacks:
http://t.ecksdee.org/post/19001860

It may not change their functionality, but they look a lot better and you don't need to memorize which is which or float your cursor over each one to get their names. (I would guess that this link has already been posted in this forum but I didn't feel like looking through the 23 pages to make sure.)

I'm surprised that Apple didn't design them with the drawer overlays or something similar in the first place.

Thanks for that, I agree those make the stacks look much better, and I was thinking about making some of my own overlay icons like that, but to be honest that is a trivial 'one time to fix' thing to me, compared to the functionality issue of them removing hierarchical folder access, which turns what used to be one click access to a file or folder into a 2,3,4 or more click action whenever I want to access a file. All for no good reason whatsoever. Insanity. It didn't need fixing, why did they break it?! I mean there has to be other, more useful things they could have spent the time on, surely, Surely? :p Gahhhhh.

Anyway, I've ranted about Stacks far too often on these forums already, sorry everyone. Back to 10.5.1... hoping for 10.5.2 to bring some joy back to the dock for me!

nsbio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
NC
So far Leopard has been behaving very nicely on my 1.5 Ghz 15'' PB G4. Spotlight is really fast and is actually useable. I first had a problem (quite common, actually) that Spotlight failed to search within the entire messages in Mail, but that was fixed after mail was reinstalled from scratch, all preferences/accounts re-set manually, without the use of migration assistant.

Erase and install here, with Apps (but not user settings) transferred over following the install. The machine feels faster than the former 10.3.9 it used to have.

seclusion

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
For me I have a Mac Pro, 2.66 with 5 gigs of ram and the stalk 7300GT video card, using it for a DAW, with Logic Studio. I installed Leo on another HD and migrated over.
Now I'm on 10.5.1 all seems fine.
With the latest updates everything settled down and I'd say CPU and Ram use are the same in both OS's!
The only thing holding me back to using Leo full time is that I have one 3rd party plugin, Synthogy Ivory that crash's Logic 8.
It won't work in stand alone either.
Other then that one problem all my other plugins work great and I haven't had one crash otherwise.
So once there is an update from Synthogy I will be 100% running Leo only.
Hopefully 2-3 weeks.
Later

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
So I ended up doing an Archive and Install from my previous Leopard version. And the good news is the files are now properly invisible in the home directory.

The bad news... iCal doesn't show the right date, Permissions still take FOREVER to do, my Weatherbug Widget does not work, my Stacks folders don't open up anymore when I click on them, the mouse cursor is still choppy, and overall feel just isn't as snappy as it was in Tiger.

What I don't get is why just having iMail and Safari open it uses 1 GB, of my 2 GB ram. That doesn't give me a whole lot of room to have other apps open does it? I guess it was like that in Tiger, I never noticed.

Ah well, maybe we'll get 10.5.2 by Christmas. It can only get better from here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.