Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded a new macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 beta to developers for testing purposes, with the new beta replacing the existing macOS Big Sur 11 beta 10 update that was released two weeks ago.

macos-big-sur-desktop.jpg

The macOS Big Sur beta can be downloaded through the Apple Developer Center and once the appropriate profile is installed, subsequent betas will be available through the Software Update mechanism in System Preferences. It is unclear why Apple has released a new beta rather than continuing on and releasing macOS Big Sur 11 beta 11.

macOS Big Sur introduces a refreshed design to the Mac operating system, overhauling the entire look from the curvature of the window corners to the dock icons to the system sounds. Everything features a lighter and more modern appearance. There's a new customizable Control Center that mirrors the Control Center on iOS devices, putting key system controls right at your fingertips.

The Notification Center has been redesigned with iOS-style widgets that are available in multiple sizes, plus there are more interactive notifications that are now grouped by app to make it easier to see what's going on. Safari is faster and more battery efficient, plus there's a new start page that can be customized with wallpapers and sections that include Reading List and iCloud Tabs, which makes Safari more tailored to your individual usage needs.

Tabs now support webpage previews, there's a built-in language translation feature, Chrome and Firefox Extensions can be ported to Safari, and YouTube supports 4K video playback. There's also an option to choose which sites an extension works with for greater privacy. Speaking of privacy, a new Privacy Report feature lets users know the trackers Safari is blocking when you visit websites.

Messages has been brought in line with the Messages app on iOS with support for pinned conversations, mentions, inline replies, and Memoji creation, plus the built-in search feature has been overhauled to make it easier to find links, photos, and conversations in the app.

Apple redesigned the Maps app to add support for Look Around, indoor maps, and Guides, which are lists of notable attractions, restaurants, and more created by trusted sources. Maps can also be used to generate directions for cycling routes and electric vehicle trips that can be sent to iPhone, and shared ETA updates are now viewable on the Mac.

For more on everything that's new in macOS Big Sur, make sure to check out our roundup.

Update: The macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 beta is also available for public beta testers.

Article Link: Apple Releases First macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 Beta to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

Last edited:

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
It just seems odd that their has been 2 events and they didn’t bring up big sur at all... also odd that they haven’t given a release date.. We usually have it by now and honestly theirs no reason to wait on the new Apple Silicon Macs to release it.

FishyFish

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2015
West Coast
This means that the GM build has already been loaded on the Apple Silicon laptops for shipping after the mid-November event. That build will contain code that will give away the form factors and device information, so we won't get it until after that event.

Same as getting the 14.2 iOS beta after 14.1 was loaded onto the iPhone 12 devices.

JannisN

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2018
Overall the beta's have been quite stable, but one issue that still annoys me (and has since beta 7) is that everytime I turn off my external display and turn it on again later, all the windows on the external display are moved out of view and I have to drag them back through Expose.

viettanium

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Vietnam
This means that the GM build has already been loaded on the Apple Silicon laptops for shipping after the mid-November event. That build will contain code that will give away the form factors and device information, so we won't get it until after that event.

Same as getting the 14.2 iOS beta after 14.1 was loaded onto the iPhone 12 devices.
they already loaded Big Sur GM on MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2020).

fritzzzzzz

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2020
Okay, so they have frozen Big Sur to release sometime soon, with obvious bugs still. Interesting. Downloading the .0.1 beta, let's see if this fixes the ones I see creating issues for me.

Build Number: 20B5012d
Size: 3.69 GB on MacBook Air 2017

mine is 4.16 GB and Mac Pro 2019

• Sad
Reactions: Babygotfont

thesprawl13

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2013
Is anyone having issues with Unity and Collab / other features having invisible font issues on BigSur?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.