MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new 14.7 software update for the HomePod and the HomePod mini, which is designed to accompany the iOS 14.7 release that is now available on the iPhone.

HomePodandMini-feature-orange.jpg

According to Apple's release notes, today's update allows users to manage timers directly from the Home app on the iPhone and the iPad. Apple says the update also includes general performance and stability improvements.

There have been multiple complaints of sudden HomePod failures possibly due to overheating with the prior 14.6 update, but it is not clear if the 14.7 software fixes these issues.

‌‌‌‌HomePod‌‌‌‌‌ software is installed automatically on the ‌‌‌‌‌HomePod‌ unless the feature is disabled‌‌‌‌, but the ‌‌‌‌‌HomePod‌‌‌‌‌ can also be manually updated in the Home app by following the instructions in our ‌‌HomePod‌‌ update how to.

Article Link: Apple Releases HomePod 14.7 Software With Support for Managing Timers From the Home App

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
We just need to know if they get overly hot.

I can see this thread being a bit “I’m not trying it, you try it” 😂

I’m holding off for a bit anyway. Mine are still unplugged.
I just plugged mine back in and am about to do the update. Really have missed the HomePods in my office over the past week. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Comment

mrial

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2007
Saint Paul, MN
I‘m betting (hoping) 14.7 fixes the bricked HomePod issue. Apple probably doesn’t want to explicitly state that this version fixes the bug. If the release notes mentioned it, Apple would likely find itself hit with a lawsuit over all the HomePods that were bricked on 14.6.
Read the issue was with pared homePods v14.6 and tvOS in home theater mode. I update the tvOS to the latest tvOS beta 15 and that seemed to fix my very warm homPods that would never sleep (the display continuously showing + and -).

Comment

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Read the issue was with pared homePods v14.6 and tvOS in home theater mode. I update the tvOS to the latest tvOS beta 15 and that seemed to fix my very warm homPods that would never sleep (the display continuously showing + and -).
Yeah that did seem to be the root of the problem. Once mine finish updating, I will be re-pairing them with my Apple TV and we’ll see what happens!

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos
Comment

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Doesn't this update also include support for Lossless Audio on the HomePod? I'm not seeing the option to enable it.
Nope. That comes in iOS 15/ TVOS 15. But right you can get lossless audio if you

a) have you homepod(s) set as the default audio output for the Apple TV 4K. Both generations.

b) initiate handoff on your iPhone and then handoff to the HomePod

c) Airplay from iPhone/iPad to HomePod.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.