Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Glad to see OG homepod is still getting fixes and updates. I love them more and more each day.

But being discontinued meaning its day is counted. We are getting closer to the point when it will be enlisted as “vintage”, and ultimately “obsolete”.

By that time it may stop functioning as a standalone speaker with no way to wire it with anything.

I’ve been collecting high end standalone speakers and they’re actually one of the longest-lasting consumer electronics out there. In my case, I’ve been using them for decades! I’m not used to the idea that a speaker may cease functioning in a few years just because Apple decided so.

Reactions: ouimetnick

idmean

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2015
15.0 enabled Voiceover on my HomePod for whatever reason. Took me a while to figure out what was going on. Quite irritating to have a second robotic voice speak in an absurd tempo.

Reactions: dog.cow

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
Manually updated one at a time of my pair of og pods. 15 in general has been much more stable than 14. They had been so unstable that I plugged them into an on / off switch to make it easy to reboot them ??

• Wow
Reactions: gank41

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
But being discontinued meaning its day is counted. We are getting closer to the point when it will be enlisted as “vintage”, and ultimately “obsolete”.

By that time it may stop functioning as a standalone speaker with no way to wire it with anything.

I’ve been collecting high end standalone speakers and they’re actually one of the longest-lasting consumer electronics out there. In my case, I’ve been using them for decades! I’m not used to the idea that a speaker may cease functioning in a few years just because Apple decided so.

Not really. The 2012 Imac, for example, was replaced by the 2013 Imac, and has been declared obsolete just a few days ago. Is still receiving software updates.

The latest Airport Extreme (2013) kept receiving updates until 2020. The Apple TV 3 (2012), is still getting software updates.

So I think we still can count of quite a few years more of software updates for the OG Homepods, perhaps more than the rest of devices since they are speakers, which I hope Apple realizes that tend to last many many years.

Even if the day arrived that Apple Music would stop working natively on them, Airplay would still be functional, since is is fully backwards compatible.

I can still Airplay music from my old Iphone 3G to my Homepods.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
Hope it also add lossless and spatial audio for my original HomePod. Setting wasn’t there with the 15.1 update using the Home app on my phone or Mac….. ah. Just realised my phone is not on 15.1 but the HomePod is. And Mac is still on Big Sur. that’s maybe the problems doh.

I don't know if you've figured this one out yet, so apologies if I'm stating anything obvious to you. But I just want to clear up for you or anyone else that may not be finding those toggles that it isn't in the HomePod settings anyway. It's in the Home Settings menu -- tap the House icon in the upper left in the Home app, then Home Settings, then the name of the "Owner", then under the Media option Apple Music should be there. The toggles for Lossless and Atmos are there.

• Love
Reactions: B/D

Guda.FL

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2015
Mine is not transferring iphone to homepod audio. Also Is a new thing for homepod to say volume up / volume down each time by touching controls? Soo annoying it cuts into music.

klrobinson999

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2008
I've lost the ability to stereo pair the original HomePods since the last update I installed. I hope this fixes that issue!

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I asked what version Siri was using on the HomePod, and got a rather puzzling response. So, once again, how do people find out what version they have on their HomePod? For those that don't remember, or need help finding it.

EDIT: Trying to check my HomePod version caused it to update immediately. Is Apple prioritizing the updates now? (Got too excited as it doesn't seem to be actually downloading anything at the moment. *sigh*)

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2015
Unfortunately my HomePod Mini has gotten worse since when I first bought it when they were released. The tap or bring close to transfer never works. If I tell it to play after pausing it plays some other content. And it doesn’t update Podcasts, either current position or played. It is rather disappointing as a smart speaker that integrates easily with Apple products.

murdoc2k

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
Unfortunately my HomePod Mini has gotten worse since when I first bought it when they were released. The tap or bring close to transfer never works. If I tell it to play after pausing it plays some other content. And it doesn’t update Podcasts, either current position or played. It is rather disappointing as a smart speaker that integrates easily with Apple products.

It looks like it's having some connectivity issues with both bluetooth/UWB and Wifi. Have you tried deleting the homepod and pairing it again?

I had an issue where after the latest update, when I try to invoke a shortcut involving logging nutritional data, it would keep asking me if I allow my app to log data in health app even after I told it to allow. I fixed the issue by deleting it and repairing the homepod from the home app.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Mine is not transferring iphone to homepod audio. Also Is a new thing for homepod to say volume up / volume down each time by touching controls? Soo annoying it cuts into music.
That's the HomePod accessibility voiceover bug. Toggle it, and make sure it's off for that device in the Home app.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
I asked what version Siri was using on the HomePod, and got a rather puzzling response. So, once again, how do people find out what version they have on their HomePod? For those that don't remember, or need help finding it.

EDIT: Trying to check my HomePod version caused it to update immediately. Is Apple prioritizing the updates now? (Got too excited as it doesn't seem to be actually downloading anything at the moment. *sigh*)
The OS version for HomePods is near the bottom of settings for that device in the Home app. And in Home Settings, where Software Update is, you can turn off automatic updates.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
I hope it fixes choppy video when using an Apple TV 4K to Airplay to 2 HomePod minis. Ok in TVos14.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Not really. The 2012 Imac, for example, was replaced by the 2013 Imac, and has been declared obsolete just a few days ago. Is still receiving software updates.

The latest Airport Extreme (2013) kept receiving updates until 2020. The Apple TV 3 (2012), is still getting software updates.

So I think we still can count of quite a few years more of software updates for the OG Homepods, perhaps more than the rest of devices since they are speakers, which I hope Apple realizes that tend to last many many years.

Even if the day arrived that Apple Music would stop working natively on them, Airplay would still be functional, since is is fully backwards compatible.

I can still Airplay music from my old Iphone 3G to my Homepods.

Yes, but there will be a day in time that when you reset it (for what ever reason) you won't be able to set it back up. You MUST set it up and activate it with an iOS device, and the HomePod also needs to be able to access Apple's servers. If a security certificate expires, and it can't connect to Apple's servers, it's probably not going to allow you to set it up, unless that is all handled on the iOS device that initiated the set up process. In that case, hopefully the 2029 iPhone will be able to set it up. Even then, if the software on HomePod is out of date and Siri can't access her servers, and Apple Music, it will be losing functionality.

Really wish they would release an update when the time comes to allow it utilize the bluetooth radio and for it to work as a bluetooth speaker in addition to the wifi (AirPlay) option.

Reactions: gank41

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
That's the HomePod accessibility voiceover bug. Toggle it, and make sure it's off for that device in the Home app.
We had this, it was super annoying. I looked in the settings and it was already toggled off. I had to ask about it in the Apple forums.

Is this documented anywhere? The bug was still present after I updated the Homepod to the new point release.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
Strange, all of the colored animations on the HomePod's display were completely gone after updating. Luckily, a complete restart solved the issue.

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
Yes, but there will be a day in time that when you reset it (for what ever reason) you won't be able to set it back up. You MUST set it up and activate it with an iOS device, and the HomePod also needs to be able to access Apple's servers. If a security certificate expires, and it can't connect to Apple's servers, it's probably not going to allow you to set it up, unless that is all handled on the iOS device that initiated the set up process. In that case, hopefully the 2029 iPhone will be able to set it up. Even then, if the software on HomePod is out of date and Siri can't access her servers, and Apple Music, it will be losing functionality.

Really wish they would release an update when the time comes to allow it utilize the bluetooth radio and for it to work as a bluetooth speaker in addition to the wifi (AirPlay) option.

Which is why, being speakers, Apple should double at least their usual support timeframe. There, I agree with you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.