Apple Releases iOS 11.0.2 Update With Fix for iPhone 8 Crackling Earpiece Issue

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Phonephreak Suspended

Phonephreak

It wont

2. Kevin76 macrumors newbie

3. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Can someone that updated please go to the iTunes Store and see if you can play a music sample? When I press play to hear a song sample it quickly loads and immediately stops.

4. Dizbuster macrumors newbie

Not sure if anyone else had this bug but on 11.0 & 11.0.1 when I texted and hit the send button, my text would shift to the right almost under the blue send button. With this update that seems to have gone away. I know it happened with iMessages but not certain about SMS.

5. CPx macrumors 6502

Same thing happens here. But it also happens on 11.0.1 on a different device of mine.

6. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I do
    I don’t know about anyone else, but I’d be ok with a major IOS update every 18 months that is fully tested works perfect than annual updates being released before they should with lots of bugs. Easy to say “just hold off awhile and wait to do the update” except when you upgrade your iPhone and the new software is already installed.

I miss the “it just works”.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

"It just works" wasn't/isn't something related to being bug-free.

8. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

It is something related to having a LOT less bugs than this release.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not really. It's related to usability of something. Sure, having less issues is always a good thing, it's just that that's not what that particular (overused) phrase is really about.

10. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I guess the phrase is subjective. I go into iTunes to purchase music. I press play and nothing happens and nothing will happen. That doesn’t just work. Tried playing my own music that’s on the device earlier today, same thing was happening until I restarted the phone....didn’t just work. This is simple basic functionality. On previous major releases when phones and watches were bricking when updating over the air.....WAY not working. That’s not what I have ever seen by Apple until the least few major releases.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Granted, things just being horribly broken or just not working would certainly affect the usability. The thing is that most of those types of things do usually affect a few people here and there pretty much with any release (and in particular early releases of a new major version), but overall most people aren't really affected by really crippling issues like that or really all that many issues of too much consequence to them.

12. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Imagine that changelog

13. fmalloy macrumors 6502

No? So when stuff doesn't work because of bugs and Steve Jobs bragged "It just works", he could say "it doesn't apply here?"

So if "it just works" doesn't mean without bugs, what does it mean exactly?

I guess we're just holding it wrong. Apple - more excuses than ever.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

15. fmalloy macrumors 6502

One of the boilerplate terms Apple likes to use is "...affecting a small number of phones". This is just a cover up. Most people with crackling audio would chalk it up to a bad connection. They don't post to geek sites and they don't have time to trudge to the Genius Bar or call Apple.

16. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Love it. Imagine if Apple didn't release these updates...people would bitch. Oh wait, they release these updates and people still bitch.

17. chucker23n1 macrumors 68000

chucker23n1

Conversely, if it affected a lot of/most/all iPhone 8 units, Apple would’ve caught it in their internal testing. Thus, it stands to reason that it indeed only affects a minority.

18. crashfellow macrumors newbie

I now can’t get iTunes Store music previews to play... since upgrading. Honestly apple, you suck.

Terrible battery, hundreds of little glitches and bugs that’s like death by a thousand cuts.. I know people will excuse this but this really is a joke.

I’ve been using iPhones since 3GS and it’s the first time that I think competitors are genuine options at this point because apple clearly has no quality control anymore..

19. IG88 macrumors regular

IG88

I figure we need folks to brag about not upgrading to offset you bragging about how you just ordered a dozen iPhone Xs and that you'll get them on launch day no matter what.

20. niji macrumors 6502a

niji

holly holy !

21. Fishels macrumors regular

Out of curiosity did you have any trouble with the first version of IOS 11 on your Air 2?

22. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

For those complaining about battery drain in iOS 11, I noticed a setting in the location services, the “motion calibration and distance” was set to on. I kept noticing GPS being activated for long periods even while the phone was stationary, I turned the phone off and back on and the carrot would still be displayed. So that carrot was purple next to that setting, and turning that off has improved my battery.

23. GamerBoredom macrumors member

GamerBoredom

Still not working. I have to tap on the song to go to the album to preview still.

24. Martyimac macrumors 65816

Martyimac

I can not fine "motion calibration and distance" anywhere in settings. HELP?

25. sbailey4 macrumors 68040

sbailey4

Settings>privacy>location services >system services