Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
Hope it helps. My iPhone 6s exhibits extremely erratic behaviour under iOS 11 (even after a clean install), and the genius at the Genius Bar told me there was nothing wrong with the device hardware. There's one thing left that could be wrong, then.

Reactions: femike

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Wait. You think a source code file will be remotely close to 100 mb? No if they are doing proper Object Oriented programming they should have small files. And since it is unlikely that they are modifying pictures/assists for phone crackling and unresponsive screens it’s save to assume they are hitting many objects every large update.
It was just an example, set in the same scale as the number used by OP.

The point is there is minimal correlation, if any at all, between update package size and quantity/quality of changes.

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
Hell, who am I kidding, I still run into bugs that have been around since iOS 9. Apple doesn't care anymore.
Ain’t that the truth. I still wonder with every release if they’ll ever fix the issue where message notifications disappear from the notification center after an arbitrary amount of time.

deanthedev

Suspended
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Apple is pushing these updates and fixing things... but god damn, THREE point releases in less than a month just screams "iOS 11 wasn't fully baked!"

Hell, who am I kidding, I still run into bugs that have been around since iOS 9. Apple doesn't care anymore.

No it doesn’t. 200+ million users on your new OS in one week finding lots of bugs in a short time is what’s happening. A problem no other vendor in the world has ever experienced since nobody has adoption rates anywhere near what happens with iOS.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Hope it helps. My iPhone 6s exhibits extremely erratic behaviour under iOS 11 (even after a clean install), and the genius at the Genius Bar told me there was nothing wrong with the device hardware. There's one thing left that could be wrong, then.

The same genuses told me my iphone 6+ hardware was fine for months... only later to announce touch disease was real and devices to have hardware problems. :)

Reactions: otternonsense

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
It effects both models as they both use tape instead of metal to protect the board. My guess either just bad timing with iOS 11 install. And the problem is intermittent because the contacts can re-connect depending on the day. Read the iFixit article...
I don't get the grey bar, and touch comes back (for a time) if I lock, wait a few seconds, and unlock.

mashdots

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2015
seattle-ish
This many bugs in phones that haven't changed much in 5 years.
I can't even imagine how many bugs the iPhone X is gonna have... lol
Mm. Saying the phones haven't changed much is just joining in on the circle-jerk that points a finger at Apple for making consistently solid phones that don't have radical changes that everyone is so hungry for. The 8 may look similar to the 6, but we all know they're significantly different phones.

And you're saying regular hardware updates and yearly major software releases shouldn't produce bugs? Surely, you can't expect everything to remain the same under the hood, considering the complexity of the hardware and software involved to make these phones do what they do.

Last edited:

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I don't get the grey bar, and touch comes back (for a time) if I lock, wait a few seconds, and unlock.

First repair I had the grey bar, apple replaced the screen. Second time it broke I didnt have that the grey bar, the screen just was slow responding and then the touch ID button broke. Grey bar doesnt happen in every case.

You can try a full wipe and restore to see if that helps? Or ask for Genius bar to check for touch disease... else downgrade to 10.3.3. and let everyone else debug iOS 11 for you? :)

frozencarbonite

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
I updated and now my third party cable that allowed me to charge the phone and listen with headphones at the same time doesn't work... this is continued deliberate attacks from Apple to make them not work

Uh oh. I think I will hold off on this update.

Reactions: Teammm

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Mm. Saying the phones haven't changed much is just joining in on the circle-jerk that points a finger at Apple for making consistently solid phones that don't have radical changes that everyone is so hungry for. The 8 may look similar to the 6, but we all know they're significantly different hones.

And you're saying regular hardware updates and yearly major software releases shouldn't produce bugs? Surely, you can't expect everything to remain the same under the hood, considering the complexity of the hardware and software involved to make these phones do what they do.

No i am saying compared to the massive changes the X brings, the prior changes were negligble -- faster CPUs, cameras, every year, and even force touch do not required as big a change to the OS that the X will..

frozencarbonite

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
I wish they'd remove the huge hideous app headlines (i.e. "Messages" in Messages and "All Inboxes" in Mail), as well as revert the control center Wifi toggle back to how it used to function

But if you get an iPhone X, you will have a larger screen and it will be a non-issue. **Apple logic**

Reactions: jase1125

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Apple is pushing these updates and fixing things... but god damn, THREE point releases in less than a month just screams "iOS 11 wasn't fully baked!"

Makes u wonder how effective having public beta testers really is? Do they even test/report or just put on betas to say to friends “look at me!”

Reactions: big-ted

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Kinda wish they will roll all these updates out at the same time. I wouldn't care so much if the update didn't render the device useless while it was in progress. But, depending on the device, it can take quite a while to complete. I know some updates need a restart (like on macOS), but on iOS every update requires a restart.

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
Makes u wonder how effective having public beta testers really is? Do they even test/report or just put on betas to say to friends “look at me!”

I am sure some do, I am sure some don't and it is just a "look at me" thing. Look at the number of posters on here asking about nonsense like "why doesn't my app work" or other dumb things.

iseyler

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2010
"Addresses an issue where touch input was unresponsive on some iPhone 6s displays because they were not serviced with genuine Apple parts"

Is this the real reason? My 6s (which sometimes experiences this issue) was bought new from an Apple store and has never been serviced.

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
Microsoft started this trend with the Zune and their mobile OS, and they were raked over the coals by Apple fans. And now...?

And now it seems many Apple fans also complain about it even though this is on an Apple product. So they're consistent.

"Addresses an issue where touch input was unresponsive on some iPhone 6s displays because they were not serviced with genuine Apple parts"

Is this the real reason? My 6s (which sometimes experiences this issue) was bought new from an Apple store and has never been serviced.

For the longest time, my iPhone 6 at times respond only on the second tap (nothing happens the first time I tap on a button or do a swipe, but it responds properly when I repeat the exact action for a second time). I have gotten used to it and no longer expect better from Apple.

Last edited by a moderator:

asaggiomo

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2017
Does anyone have an issue with Rest Finger to Open for Touch ID? When enabled, it doesn't work every time for me on my iPhone 8 Plus running iOS 11.0.3.

Reactions: Sharkoneau

efktd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2011
USA
Probably not related to this iOS 11 update, but...
IMG_9436.png
IMG_9437.png

Not sure if this was a fix, or if it just works with this particular face, but I can control my iPhone's music with the "Now playing" complication at the bottom. Works like before. This isn't through the music app. That still only plays music off the watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.