Apple Releases iOS 12.1.1 With Expanded eSIM Support, Redesigned FaceTime With Live Photos, Haptic Touch for Notifications on iPhone XR, and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 5, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released iOS 12.1.1, the third update to the iOS 12 operating system since its September launch. iOS 12.1.1 is a minor update that follows iOS 12.1, a more significant release that brought features like Group FaceTime, initial eSIM support, and new emoji.

The iOS 12.1.1 update is available on all eligible devices over-the-air in the Settings app. To access the update, go to Settings > General > Software Update. As with all iOS updates, iOS 12.1.1 is free to download.

[​IMG]

iOS 12.1.1 reintroduces a feature that's designed to let you take a Live Photo while on a FaceTime call so you can capture favorite moments and save them indefinitely. Taking a Live Photo on a FaceTime call requires the person you're video chatting with to have the "FaceTime Live Photos" setting toggled on, which can be accessed by going to Settings > FaceTime > FaceTime Live Photos. If this setting is disabled, people you chat with won't be able to take a Live Photo during the call.

FaceTime also includes a reworked bottom bar that offers up quick access buttons for muting a call and flipping the camera. Sliding up on the bottom bar brings up additional options with conversation participants.

Prior to today's update, FaceTime users were required to tap on three dots to access a secondary menu with these features, so this greatly streamlines often used options.

eSIM support on the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR has expanded to additional carriers across Europe in iOS 12.1.1, including Swisscom in Switzerland, Orange in Spain, and Three in Sweden and Denmark. We're checking to see if Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile have added support for this feature.

[​IMG]

On the iPhone XR, the iOS 12.1.1 update introduces support for Haptic Touch with notifications. Haptic Touch can now be used to expand notifications on the Lock screen through a long press to see additional content. This is identical to the 3D Touch option on notifications on other iPhones.

For owners of Apple Watch Series 4 models, the iOS 12.1.1 update introduces support for the the ECG feature that will be included in the watchOS 5.1.2 update for Apple Watch Series 4 models. A single-lead ECG reading, which detects your heart rhythm, can be taken on an Apple Watch Series 4 by placing a finger on the Digital Crown after updating to watchOS 5.1.2.

[​IMG]
    ECG mention in Health app on iOS 12.1.1 via MacRumors forums

iOS 12.1.1 also adds a new option in Apple News to hide the side bar on the iPad when using the app in landscape mode, it introduces an option to turn off the physical SIM in the device in favor of the eSIM, and it tweaks the icon of the Apple Watch app so it looks like the Apple Watch Series 4.

iOS 12.1.1 release notes:
    macOS Mojave 10.14.2, tvOS 12.1.1, and a HomePod 12.1.1 software update were also released today, but there is no sign of watchOS 5.1.2 at this time.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 12.1.1 With Expanded eSIM Support, Redesigned FaceTime With Live Photos, Haptic Touch for Notifications on iPhone XR, and More

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

We should hear from the service providers soon with details on dual SIM support. This is what they were waiting for.

Also, as someone that has been using the beta, the ability to turn off news providers list has been fantastic. I like having the full screen in the news app for, well, news.

3. KrazyBear15 macrumors member

KrazyBear15

4. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Can’t wait for the updates to show up on OTA. I’m sure they will at 1pm.

5. Rudy69 macrumors 6502a

Rudy69

Not showing here. Not on my phone and/or Dev centre

6. BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502a

BoricuaHec01

7. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

8. Mackinjosh macrumors 65816

Will they finally fix the bug where audio completely stops coming out of the speaker in the earpiece and forces you to reboot the phone to fix it? Or is that actually a hardware bug that'll never get fixed?

9. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

The update everyone without a heart issue has been waiting for.... Moan about no ECG support, now perform an ECG, and then never do it again.

10. DTECHQUE macrumors member

11. efktd macrumors 6502

efktd

Thank you for bringing back Live Photo capture!

12. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Thank God they fixed flipping the camera, that was seriously annoying.

13. BradMacPro macrumors newbie

Not shown here yet either and it's after 1 PM eastern time zone.

14. mgollaher92 macrumors newbie

mgollaher92

MacRumors readers .000345 seconds after this article: "I DON'T SEE ITTTTTT :mad:"

15. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

“ECG support”. Cardiologists are queuing up to find out how to do a 12 lead diagnostic via a watch strap. Good luck with that! “Ooh no. Really it is a ECG. There’s no logical or physical proof but it really is. I read it in the specs”. Really? Good luck with that!

16. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

Why is the Haptic Touch notification limited to the iPhone XR?

17. elie.fares macrumors regular

Let’s hope American carriers bring dual sim support with this update.

18. BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502a

BoricuaHec01

19. lanegandy macrumors newbie

Because every other phone has 3D touch instead.

20. Mercenary macrumors 65816

Mercenary

21. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Anyone interested in whether the update is showing up on my devices, whether I am downloading, and the download progress? If you beg me I will let you know. /s

22. spezaled macrumors newbie

spezaled

I assume it's the same build as the last Developer Beta(16C5050a)? This update is not showing up for me. Are we expecting a Watch OS update with the ECG function today as well?

23. Tinototem macrumors member

I were disappointed that we did not have haptic touch for notification from release. Glad Apple fix this.

24. stan1028 macrumors regular

stan1028

25. BarrettF77 macrumors member

I don't have haptic feedback on my iPad Pro?! I thought this was one of the features coming out with this release.

In all seriousness, hopefully this squashes many of the bluetooth niggles with car audio etc.