Apple Releases iOS 12.1.1 With Expanded eSIM Support, Redesigned FaceTime With Live Photos, Haptic Touch for Notifications on iPhone XR, and More

ghostface147

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Maybe this will fix the Screen Time issues I have. I am the Organizer, I've set my daughter for downtime and such, but has never worked. Device never reports usage and works outside of downtime. I did set it up when I was on 12.1.1 beta 3 and she's on 12.1. Maybe when I update her to the today's release it will work.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Hence "expanded." It was somewhat of a sarcastic post, which now needs to be explained. But Apple should have worked w/ carriers prior to announcement of eSIM to make sure they were ready rather than blindly listing them as a partner. So Apple still has skin in this blame. (<-- This is a pun in case you missed it.)
Apple did work with them. There seemed to be a small technical issue that both sides didn't foresee where carriers set up as secondary on certain network types defaulted down to the old 2G one, but this update addressed it by all accounts. Now the carriers just have to deploy the codes.

npmacuser5

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2015
“ECG support”. Cardiologists are queuing up to find out how to do a 12 lead diagnostic via a watch strap. Good luck with that! “Ooh no. Really it is a ECG. There’s no logical or physical proof but it really is. I read it in the specs”. Really? Good luck with that!
Where the Apple Watch works from personal experience, raw data. Not feeling the best at times. Had the ECG 12 wires and all. Results nothing wrong. Showed Dr. Apple Watch history data, not even ECG just heart rate over time. Dr. response need to have an extended, 24 hr. ECG. Well what do you know, Apple Watch was spot on. Something was not right and fixable. No Apple Watch data, doubt another test would have been ordered.

Apple Watch not for diagnosis, gathers raw data that in my case worked as designed. Please do not confuse raw data with diagnosis, that needs to be left for the medical professionals. Gotta love today’s technology. :)

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
How is CarPlay getting updated? Is being updated along with iOS updates or from the vehicle manufacturers software updates?

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Apple did work with them. There seemed to be a small technical issue that both sides didn't foresee where carriers set up as secondary on certain network types defaulted down to the old 2G one, but this update addressed it by all accounts. Now the carriers just have to deploy the codes.
You really believe that? I know we excuse Apple for lots of stuff but lol. Any version of proper testing would have shown that. Apple didn't let carriers start real testing until after the iPhone was announced and iOS was released due to "secrecy." Also, it's pretty widely known that AT&T & VZW have been trying to suppress eSIMs for a long time. So still, Apple did not do its due diligence as it had with hardware upgrades from 3G to 4G, SIM to micro and nano SIM. At the end of the day, Apple released a product that was not ready to be supported or utilized by a majority of end users but still charge them a premium for the tech.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Are we running to update this, or will we wait a bit? I'm still scarred from my latest experience trying to update my Apple Watch...
We're running full speed ahead!

Sometimes it fails, sometimes it's wonderful. Most times it's a non-event :apple:

enzoferrari650

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2018
FWIW, VZW rep on Twitter said this: Effective 12/7/18, Verizon supports Dual SIM activations on physical SIMs and digital eSIMs with Apple's release of iOS 12.1.1.
Just spoke with Verizon rep and she confirmed that it shows they will be able to activate eSIM on 12/7/18. She also said that it must be done in store (not available through phone or chat support).

phantom5251

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
Michigan
Just spoke with Verizon rep and she confirmed that it shows they will be able to activate eSIM on 12/7/18. She also said that it must be done in store (not available through phone or chat support).
Which is interesting, because I downloaded their MyVerizon app out of curiosity (am a T-Mobile consumer), and they made it look like you can activate eSIM right through there. Granted, I got up to the point where it said to call them to finish activation (haven't done yet), so am just wondering if that's what it's saying for now due to it not being the 7th yet.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
FWIW, VZW rep on Twitter said this: Effective 12/7/18, Verizon supports Dual SIM activations on physical SIMs and digital eSIMs with Apple's release of iOS 12.1.1.
Can you link this tweet? I'm looking at their support account and there's no mention of a date.

amaze1499

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Thanks for listening: one tap flip is back between rear and front facing camera

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
I’m actually really pleasantly surprised by the XR Haptic Touch for notifications, it works really well. I thought it would just be that you have to hold the notification for a while and it pops open, but it actually feels like a pushing a button, you get haptic feedback when you push down then the pop comes when you lift your finger, rather than waiting for you to hold your finger down for X amount of seconds. Feels very nice. I hope they continue to expand Haptic Touch after this.

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
“ECG support”. Cardiologists are queuing up to find out how to do a 12 lead diagnostic via a watch strap. Good luck with that! “Ooh no. Really it is a ECG. There’s no logical or physical proof but it really is. I read it in the specs”. Really? Good luck with that!
It passed the FDA... and my personal doctor has compared it against their ECG in his office and said it seems to be quite accurate.

Topher227

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago, IL
Regarding Verizon esim...

Before today's update, when I had an esim as my Primary line, the Verizon line (physical sim) would not connect to LTE, it showed only 1X or 3G service (this was the problem that Verizon wanted to address before releasing esim support).

After today's update, it seems to be working as intended. I can set esim as the primary line, with Verizon (physical sim) showing LTE service.

I can't confirm or deny what the Verizon rep said for this Friday.... but I can confirm that the problem Verizon had with esim has been resolved.

MAH11

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2010

eSIM support on the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR has expanded to additional carriers across Europe in iOS 12.1.1, including Swisscom in Switzerland, Orange in Spain, and Three in Sweden and Denmark. We're checking to see if Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile have added support for this feature.
AT&T wireless support says that all stores should have QR cards for eSIM activation in stock. Consistent with this, I just picked up my card at the Ithaca NY store and will activate shortly.

NachoSH

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
Spain
And you really don't think it was part of Apple's responsibility to ensure that the major carriers they've listed as partners of eSIM were actually ready for it? I know people excuse Apple for a lot but that's quite the pass. Apple has, in the past, worked w/ carriers on major hardware updates to make sure it works. And even now, carriers are saying "they are working with Apple" to get this up and running. So why didn't Apple work with carriers before? Seems like a money grab by Apple to sell handsets that had a major feature that is 99.9% unsupported across the globe. Only EE in the UK supports it and I think Swisscom began support today, and they weren't even listed as one of the original 15. It's the same with the ECG feature in watches. A bunch of people bought it for that feature and it's still not available.

I don't usually get into the Mad at Apple game but this particular BS is inexcusable. Sell the physical dual SIM in the to the rest of the world if carriers can't support something this major that is part of why the cost of the phones has increased this much. Otherwise, we've paid for hardware that's unusable.

Believe me, I am equally mad at the carriers.

/rant
Vodafone in Spain has been supporting eSIM since the launch of iOS 12.1..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.