Apple Releases iOS 12.1.1 With Expanded eSIM Support, Redesigned FaceTime With Live Photos, Haptic Touch for Notifications on iPhone XR, and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 5, 2018.

1. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

Maybe this will fix the Screen Time issues I have. I am the Organizer, I've set my daughter for downtime and such, but has never worked. Device never reports usage and works outside of downtime. I did set it up when I was on 12.1.1 beta 3 and she's on 12.1. Maybe when I update her to the today's release it will work.

2. Dominicanyor macrumors 65816

Dominicanyor

I guess this update is not so much for my 8 plus.

3. Kaibelf Suspended

Kaibelf

Apple did work with them. There seemed to be a small technical issue that both sides didn't foresee where carriers set up as secondary on certain network types defaulted down to the old 2G one, but this update addressed it by all accounts. Now the carriers just have to deploy the codes.

4. karinatwork macrumors regular

karinatwork

Are we running to update this, or will we wait a bit? I'm still scarred from my latest experience trying to update my Apple Watch...

5. npmacuser5 macrumors 65816

npmacuser5

Where the Apple Watch works from personal experience, raw data. Not feeling the best at times. Had the ECG 12 wires and all. Results nothing wrong. Showed Dr. Apple Watch history data, not even ECG just heart rate over time. Dr. response need to have an extended, 24 hr. ECG. Well what do you know, Apple Watch was spot on. Something was not right and fixable. No Apple Watch data, doubt another test would have been ordered.

Apple Watch not for diagnosis, gathers raw data that in my case worked as designed. Please do not confuse raw data with diagnosis, that needs to be left for the medical professionals. Gotta love today’s technology. :)

6. tridley68 macrumors 6502a

tridley68

7. MacMan988 macrumors 6502a

How is CarPlay getting updated? Is being updated along with iOS updates or from the vehicle manufacturers software updates?

8. phantom5251 macrumors 6502

phantom5251

FWIW, VZW rep on Twitter said this: Effective 12/7/18, Verizon supports Dual SIM activations on physical SIMs and digital eSIMs with Apple's release of iOS 12.1.1.

9. E3BK macrumors 68030

E3BK

You really believe that? I know we excuse Apple for lots of stuff but lol. Any version of proper testing would have shown that. Apple didn't let carriers start real testing until after the iPhone was announced and iOS was released due to "secrecy." Also, it's pretty widely known that AT&T & VZW have been trying to suppress eSIMs for a long time. So still, Apple did not do its due diligence as it had with hardware upgrades from 3G to 4G, SIM to micro and nano SIM. At the end of the day, Apple released a product that was not ready to be supported or utilized by a majority of end users but still charge them a premium for the tech.

10. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

Not the 5s, 6/6+ or SE, but they also don't have a haptic engine.

11. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

We're running full speed ahead!

Sometimes it fails, sometimes it's wonderful. Most times it's a non-event :apple:

12. enzoferrari650 macrumors newbie

Just spoke with Verizon rep and she confirmed that it shows they will be able to activate eSIM on 12/7/18. She also said that it must be done in store (not available through phone or chat support).

13. phantom5251 macrumors 6502

phantom5251

Which is interesting, because I downloaded their MyVerizon app out of curiosity (am a T-Mobile consumer), and they made it look like you can activate eSIM right through there. Granted, I got up to the point where it said to call them to finish activation (haven't done yet), so am just wondering if that's what it's saying for now due to it not being the 7th yet.

14. E3BK macrumors 68030

E3BK

Can you link this tweet? I'm looking at their support account and there's no mention of a date.

15. amaze1499 macrumors regular

amaze1499

Thanks for listening: one tap flip is back between rear and front facing camera

16. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

17. skillwill macrumors 6502

I’m actually really pleasantly surprised by the XR Haptic Touch for notifications, it works really well. I thought it would just be that you have to hold the notification for a while and it pops open, but it actually feels like a pushing a button, you get haptic feedback when you push down then the pop comes when you lift your finger, rather than waiting for you to hold your finger down for X amount of seconds. Feels very nice. I hope they continue to expand Haptic Touch after this.

18. DesterWallaboo macrumors 6502a

DesterWallaboo

It passed the FDA... and my personal doctor has compared it against their ECG in his office and said it seems to be quite accurate.

19. nycgeo macrumors member

nycgeo

Not yet, and with this new update you can add Messages to the infographic face, but it won’t show up because the watch OS isn’t compatible!!!

Tre lame...

20. Topher227 macrumors regular

Regarding Verizon esim...

Before today's update, when I had an esim as my Primary line, the Verizon line (physical sim) would not connect to LTE, it showed only 1X or 3G service (this was the problem that Verizon wanted to address before releasing esim support).

After today's update, it seems to be working as intended. I can set esim as the primary line, with Verizon (physical sim) showing LTE service.

I can't confirm or deny what the Verizon rep said for this Friday.... but I can confirm that the problem Verizon had with esim has been resolved.

21. MAH11 macrumors newbie

AT&T wireless support says that all stores should have QR cards for eSIM activation in stock. Consistent with this, I just picked up my card at the Ithaca NY store and will activate shortly.

22. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

HomePod will be released in Mainland China and Hong Kong soon.

23. NachoSH macrumors member

Vodafone in Spain has been supporting eSIM since the launch of iOS 12.1..

24. rugmankc macrumors 68000

rugmankc

How did he do that?

25. hasrt1206 macrumors newbie

How do I add the watchOS beta, when I have already install this official iOS?