Apple Releases iOS 12.1.2 for iPhones With eSIM Bug Fixes

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 17, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released iOS 12.1.2, the fourth update to the iOS 12 operating system since its September launch. iOS 12.1.2 comes just two weeks after the release of iOS 12.1.1, and one week after Apple seeded the first iOS 12.1.2 beta to developers.

The iOS 12.1.2 update is available exclusively on the iPhone and it can be downloaded over-the-air in the Settings app. To access the update, go to Settings > General > Software Update. As with all iOS updates, iOS 12.1.2 is free to download. iPads and iPod touch models continue to run iOS 12.1.1, the prior version of iOS 12 released on December 5.

[​IMG]

According to Apple's release notes, iOS 12.1.2 is a bug fix update that focuses on addressing issues with eSIM activation and a cellular connectivity issue in Turkey. From Apple's release notes:
    The timing of the iOS 12.1.2 release is curious as Apple often seeds more than one beta before launching a software update. It's likely that iOS 12.1.2 is addressing a bug that Apple did not want to wait to fix.

Today's iOS 12.1.2 release may also include software tweaks in China that remove patented Qualcomm functionality. A Chinese court last week issued an iPhone sales ban on certain devices in China after ruling that Apple had infringed on two Qualcomm patents related to resizing and reformatting photos and managing applications using a touch screen when using apps.

Apple said it would issue a software update for iPhone users in China to address "the minor functionality of the two patents at issue in the case."

eSIM functionality was first introduced in the iOS 12.1 update and expanded with iOS 12.1.1. In the U.S., T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T are all now supporting the eSIM feature, as are multiple other carriers around the world.

Update: The iOS 12.1.2 update is now available for download.

Update 2: This post has been updated to reflect the fact that it is only available for the iPhone.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 12.1.2 for iPhones With eSIM Bug Fixes

2. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

Is this going to fix my green-bubble messages constantly saying "Number changed to Primary"? It does this for every single message that comes through, and it drives me nuts.

3. centauratlas macrumors 6502a

centauratlas

They are never clear as to whether that is the exclusive list of features or not - at least initially.

If it is only those two fixes it certainly won't be an update that needs widespread installs.

4. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Sounds like we should keep an eye out for it in the 1 PM (US Pacific) release time slot that Apple uses here and there.

5. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

6. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

It’s usually 6 pm in the UK and it’s well beyond that time now.

7. joselc23 macrumors member

I've been having issues where my Apple Watch does not get email notifications but gets notifications for everything else. I have to reboot my iPhone and watch to get it working again.

8. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

I second this! I have this exact same problem and no one seems to have a clue what causes it. The only solution I’ve seen is to try and restore the entire phone which is crazy.

9. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

There are usually two time slots that Apple makes use of, at least when it comes to planned type of releases: 10 AM and 1 PM (basically Cupertino time).

10. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

1 PM is 9 PM here so there’s still time.

11. mms13 macrumors 6502

lol, came here to ask exactly this

12. AgentOSX macrumors member

AgentOSX

The last iOS update also broke my iTunes Pass in Wallet. It stopped updating. When I went to delete and re-add the iTunes Pass, it refused to allow me to re-add it. I would tap the "add to wallet" line in all three places it is an option but it would just grey out for a few seconds then return without adding.

13. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

To top it off, assuming all of this is basically true, seems like there's a bit of a rush to get this one out for one reason or another, and in situations like that a release can really come out at any time.

14. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I'm not seeing the benefit of using an eSIM unless using 2 lines. Am I missing anything?

15. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

After moving my T-Mobile SIM to eSIM and testing out an AT&T SIM, I've been having some weird behaviors, like some messages being sent out as text instead of iMessage, and trying to do iMessage from the Notification Center results in "Cannot Send Message: iMessage needs to be enabled to send this message."

I've already turned iMessage off and back on, and even turned off the AT&T SIM, but it still does the latter. Sending iMessage within the app itself is fine, however.

Let's hope iOS 12.1.2 fixes this.

16. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

Yep Yep, unless you use to 2 lines on 1 device there's really no benefit. I have 2 lines but won't switch to using eSIM because I need both sim cards so I can switch between devices.

17. C DM, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018

C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

So, with this update potentially being tied to addressing something in relation to patented Qualcomm functionality, and potentially removing it, anyone else worried that there might be a chance that this update could affect things in some way (negative or otherwise) for at least some devices?

18. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

19. jarman92 macrumors 6502

Yes. For those who travel a lot, it’s convenient to have your home/primary number on an eSIM so you can pop in a foreign SIM and not have to worry about losing that teeny tiny SIM with your real number on it.

20. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Here's a potential cool thing - your telephone number is embedded in the iPhone. In the event that someone steals it or you lose it, even if they wipe it out and try to reactivate it, it will automatically reactivate the internal SIM and possibly ping its location.

21. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

I have 12.1.0. I heard 12.1.1 had bugs and not to update to it. I can see 12.1.2 is available and press "Download and Install". Should I go ahead and do it, or is there a reason to think this has major bugs in it and I shouldn't get it?

22. SigurTom macrumors member

SigurTom

Or, alternately, to add an eSIM for the foreign country you're in as you travel. Easier to add an eSIM right when you arrive than to go pick up a pSIM from a store.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 17, 2018 ---
    Ask the person from whom you heard about the bugs o_O

23. dmccombs macrumors regular

It's Apple, so "It Just Works", right?

24. AgentOSX macrumors member

AgentOSX

12.1.2 did not fix the iTunes Pass issue at all.