Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alan Gordon

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2014
Dawson, GA
Can someone not subscribed to CBS All Access tell me if it shows up in list of available channels? It does not for me, and I'm assuming it's because it knows I'm already subscribed (directly with CBS). But as others pointed out, clicking on anything in the featured list launches the stand alone app.

CBS All Access is not available yet as an Apple Channel. The behavior you're describing is correct behavior.

Would I have to first cancel with CBS... Then sign up through Apple TV to ditch the stand alone? I be tempted, depending on price difference...

Correct.

I too am waiting to see what the price of CBS All Access will be on the Apple TV. Will it only be the ad-free version you can subscribe to via Apple Channels?

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
I am seeing an update called iTunes Device Support Update today with no details.
I am intentionally staying at iOS 10.3.3 and iTunes 12.6.3.6 to preserve app downloading/storage and to keep Apple Music from ruining my mp3-based music collection system on an iPod Touch. (I cannot even bring this up on Apple Discussions because there are some vigilante trolls there who shout down and scold anyone not keeping up with the very latest iOS and MacOS versions.)
Do I need to worry about downloading it?
Thanks

It's showing up on my High Sierra and Mojave Macs. Sounds suspicious. I have a 10.3.3 and older iTunes too.

revox12

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2015
You misread the marketing copy. Third party apps still requires third party apps to view content on.

Here's where it gets confusing. When they talk about apps like Hulu and Prime, they use "discover" ("Easily discover all your favorite shows from streaming services including Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, ESPN+, and more — all inside the app.") but when they talk about live TV - Spectrum, DTVNow, PSVue - they use "enjoy" ("Enjoy all the top-rated prime-time TV shows, live sports, and news — from leading cable providers — right in the Apple TV app.").

To me, "enjoy in the app" means "watch in the app." And, notably, they didn't include **every**
live-streaming app that integrates with TV for Watch Now (like Fubo). So that's why I was led to believe that we should be able to watch – and "enjoy," LOL – Spectrum, DTVNow, and PSVue in the app.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
CBS All Access is not available yet as an Apple Channel. The behavior you're describing is correct behavior.

Correct.

I too am waiting to see what the price of CBS All Access will be on the Apple TV. Will it only be the ad-free version you can subscribe to via Apple Channels?

Ah, good to know. Wait and see then.
Good question about the ad versus ad free. Personally, I prefer with ads. Not to save the couple bucks... But because I like the commercials. How else will I know what to buy in life? :D

Last edited:
Reactions: NMBob

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
AppleTV+ will be Apple's original content brand.

I do think that the subscription will include Channels, which is why they've been built into the Apple TV app. $9.99 for a Channel would include AppleTV+. Maybe they market it the other way around: AppleTV+ for $9.99 includes a choice of a channel or maybe more than one. Perhaps a higher price for an all inclusive package with all channels and AppleTV+.

AppleTV+ alone won't be able to compete with Netflix which has its own content plus licensed content and has been around for long enough to build up a very large library. Apple has to offer third party content in order to compete with Netflix and I believe that access to Channels will be how they do it.

Makes sense. It all feels a bit messy to me right now, so I hope that they can offer quality in a simple package for $9.99 per month. I was really hoping for all iTunes movies and shows, plus original content for an all in fee. I doubt I'll ever see it though.

Alan Gordon

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2014
Dawson, GA
Here's where it gets confusing. When they talk about apps like Hulu and Prime, they use "discover" ("Easily discover all your favorite shows from streaming services including Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, ESPN+, and more — all inside the app.") but when they talk about live TV - Spectrum, DTVNow, PSVue - they use "enjoy" ("Enjoy all the top-rated prime-time TV shows, live sports, and news — from leading cable providers — right in the Apple TV app.").

To me, "enjoy in the app" means "watch in the app." And, notably, they didn't include **every**
live-streaming app that integrates with TV for Watch Now (like Fubo). So that's why I was led to believe that we should be able to watch – and "enjoy," LOL – Spectrum, DTVNow, and PSVue in the app.

That's actually an edited version of their website. The original wording was extremely misleading.You can see a photo in the link below.

In the keynote, they implied that you could watch Hulu, Amazon Prime, and more inside the TV app, and they originally implied the same on the website. The Verge did a good story on this:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/25/...iption-video-service-shows-originals-channels

Only AppleTV+ content, purchased movies and TV shows, and content from Apple Channels you subscribe to will be inside the TV app. The rest will simply help you keep track of shows you view and deep link you to other apps like you previously could.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
A quick shout out of thanks to those posting to let us know they are intending to download; updating us of refreshing & rebooting to see the release; are downloading; and the status of the d/l by device. The YouTube unboxing videos suddenly make sense. Lol

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Channels subscribed to through Apple can be viewed through the TV app. It does not eliminate the need for separate apps from other subscription services.
[doublepost=1557770353][/doublepost]

No, you cannot.

I'm a little annoyed by the fact that it still jumps out of apps. They claimed to have Playstation Vue integration (no jumping from app to app), but it seems that the app just handles this the same as always. I was expecting much more from the App, but it isn't much different at all aside from Channels and For You. Maybe I was just confused from the Keynote, but I feel like that is Apple not being super clear.

jay_app

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2004
Has anyone figured out how to make live TV (Spectrum, PSVue, DTVNow) work in the app yet?

It was (and is) an advertised feature for the TV app in 12.3 (https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-app/), but I have yet to be able to figure out how to watch any live tv "right in the Apple TV app," like it says. For now, it just pops out to the Spectrum app like it always has. I'm logged into Spectrum as my TV provider and I've got Spectrum connected to the TV app in settings, but ... no change.

Did I misread this marketing copy? Are we supposed to be able to watch live TV "right in the app" or not?

It's supposed to be a feature but there is no sign of it working yet. I have Directv Now. Perhaps it will be a later app update.

Alan Gordon

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2014
Dawson, GA
Ah, good to know. What and see then.
Good question about the ad versus ad free. Personally, I prefer with ads. Not to save the couple bucks... But because I like the commercials. How else will I know what to buy in life? :D

I subscribe to ads to save money. I will subscribe through Apple Channels if I can get the ad version for the same price, so that my family members can access it as well.

Alan Gordon

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2014
Dawson, GA
Makes sense. It all feels a bit messy to me right now, so I hope that they can offer quality in a simple package for $9.99 per month. I was really hoping for all iTunes movies and shows, plus original content for an all in fee. I doubt I'll ever see it though.

It probably won't ever happen, and it'd probably cost you like $500 a month easily.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Yes. Apple TV Channels are for subscriptions through the Apple TV app. It's essentially a cord cutter app. If you no longer subscribe to TV through a cable provider, you can subscribe to individual channels from within the Apple TV app.
So if you’re not a cord cutter content doesn’t show up in the TV app? Does it boot you out to individual apps then?

Alan Gordon

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2014
Dawson, GA
Incorrect. Live TV for

Incorrect. Live TV in the Apple TV app will be supported for Spectrum, PSVue and Directv Now.

Incorrect.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/25/...iption-video-service-shows-originals-channels

http://zatznotfunny.com/2019-03/apple-reinvents-amazon-video-intends-to-replace-your-roku-interface/
[doublepost=1557776570][/doublepost]
So if you’re not a cord cutter content doesn’t show up in the TV app? Does it boot you out to individual apps then?

Those work the same they always did.
[doublepost=1557776614][/doublepost]
$49.99 per month, done deal. You are right though, very unlikely.

You can't even get satellite or cable for that amount.

revox12

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2015
That's actually an edited version of their website. The original wording was extremely misleading.You can see a photo in the link below.

In the keynote, they implied that you could watch Hulu, Amazon Prime, and more inside the TV app, and they originally implied the same on the website. The Verge did a good story on this:

Only AppleTV+ content, purchased movies and TV shows, and content from Apple Channels you subscribe to will be inside the TV app. The rest will simply help you keep track of shows you view and deep link you to other apps like you previously could.

Actually, my words are pulled from Apple's site from just about 45 minutes ago. I totally get that you can't watch Hulu/Prime in the app. The marketing copy says "discover" for those. But for Spectrum/DTVNow/PSVue, it says "enjoy in the app," which, to me, means we can watch it in the app.

I just have to assume that either, a) it's not feature complete at this point, or, b) they're gonna re-edit the copy on the website again. :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 3.02.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 3.02.12 PM.png
    709.3 KB · Views: 226

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
There are several advantages... one being the awesome "Up Next" feature which brings content together from multiple sources, like Hulu, Amazon Prime, CBS All Access, as well as others (like the HBO app you mentioned). It's a great way to keep track of the shows and movies you view.
I don’t think any of that would be enough for me to cut my cord or use the TV app exclusively. Especially if it’s tailored to those who subscribe to “channels” via the TV app. I have a Roku smart TV. If Apple TV comes to that I’ll check it out.

Alan Gordon

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2014
Dawson, GA
I was expecting much more from the App, but it isn't much different at all aside from Channels and For You. Maybe I was just confused from the Keynote, but I feel like that is Apple not being super clear.

A lot of people were. Apple even went and edited their website due to some of that confusion.

http://zatznotfunny.com/2019-03/apple-reinvents-amazon-video-intends-to-replace-your-roku-interface/
[doublepost=1557776953][/doublepost]
Actually, my words are pulled from Apple's site from just about 45 minutes ago. I totally get that you can't watch Hulu/Prime in the app. The marketing copy says "discover" for those. But for Spectrum/DTVNow/PSVue, it says "enjoy in the app," which, to me, means we can watch it in the app.

I just have to assume that either, a) it's not feature complete at this point, or, b) they're gonna re-edit the copy on the website again. :)

Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant that if you think it's confusing now, it really was in the beginning before it was edited, with them saying you can watch Hulu, Prime, etc. within the app. I expect they're going to re-edit the copy again.

Reactions: revox12

jml1982

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2015
For me this app is useless and will be until

-everything you subscribe to can be perfectly integrated into it
-I can select my favorite shows so I can stay up to date on the shows I want, not the shows they are pushing for me
-it works seamless on my phone to my Apple TV, and where we can have multiple users with their own Apple TV screen, with their channels and their favorite shows also mirroring their own phones to the Apple TV experience.

That seems very far off...

Also, when Apple releases their Apple TV + they better have hours upon hours of things for people to binge, or they are going to fail. Netflix had years of other peoples content before making their own, so did Hulu and Amazon. If there isn't a selection, all this will fail.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
After watching the infamous dark battle on the PS4 and being quite disappointed with the smudging and crushed blacks, I went back and rewatched the scene with an ATV4. It had significantly better shadow detail. Not perfect of course, but better. So it probably at least different than the PS4.

It depends on so many factors, it's hard to compare. People that start streaming right when the episode is available sometimes cannot get the maximum possible bitrate if the servers are being hit hard, and thus might be watching a slightly reduced quality stream. That might be the difference in your comparison. I had no issue watching the dark battle episode, but I started that episode about an hour after it aired, so likely there weren't any bandwidth problems at that time; plus my TV is very bright, big, and I was watching in a dim room.

However, numbers are the best way to compare stuff and thus I am interested in pure bitrates. I know Amazon Prime Now's HBO streaming has a higher maximum bitrate than HBO's own apps. If the HBO "channel" subscription in Apple TV app has an even higher maximum bitrate, then all the better.

Alan Gordon

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2014
Dawson, GA
I don’t think any of that would be enough for me to cut my cord or use the TV app exclusively. Especially if it’s tailored to those who subscribe to “channels” via the TV app. I have a Roku smart TV. If Apple TV comes to that I’ll check it out.

All my TVs are Roku. I love Roku.

I "cut the cord" years ago, and more and more of my family and friends are doing so. However, if you ever use apps that you can access via your cable/satellite subscription or watch original programming from Amazon Prime, Hulu, CBS All Access, DC Universe, etc., the TV app works great for that as well. It's not just for those who subscribe to "channels", just like the Roku isn't just for those who subscribe to Roku's "channels".

The Apple TV app is coming to Roku. Try it out once it does!
[doublepost=1557777349][/doublepost]
No need. Other than location constraints (you can’t speak of EU like it’s a single entity), prime and Netflix cover all of our needs already in Germany.

Netflix sadly doesn't, but Amazon Prime works with Apple TV.

Zachari

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
Washington, DC
Apple had a minor update that brought fixes, modest improvements, and a redesign of one of their apps, and that means they've lost their way?

I mean, I miss the old cover art in the library, and I wish they'd fix the bug where most movies imported from Movies Anywhere do not display "HD" tags even when they're in HD, but overall, I think the new redesign looks good.

Don't get me wrong I am a big Apple fan boy. We have been stuck with the same old for far too long. I have always had an iPhone and I'm almost done with Apple. 80% of my frustration is the OS. Even minor things they could be doing like a smaller volume changer or a quick way to close all my apps would alleviate that. But they refuse. WWDC 19 is make or break.
[doublepost=1557777555][/doublepost]
More people switching from Android than ever before. Huge increase in iPad sales. Number 1 watch in the entire world. Number 1 in wireless sales in the entire world. #1 in premium headphone sales. Number 1 in customer satisfaction. #2 Music Streaming Service in the world. # 1 News App in the entire world. #1 by far premium smart phone in the entire world. First trillion dollar company. Retail sales number 1 per square foot in the entire world. #1 all in one computer in the entire world. 85% of the premium tablet market in the entire world. 85% of the entire market for contactless payments in the US. Most used digital assistant in the entire world with the most languages. #1 App store in the entire world.

I could go on, but I hope you detect the pattern of success as Tim Cook and Apple wander the world "hopelessly lost."

Chill dude, this is all my opinion. I have been an avid Apple supporter and love their products. They do have flaws though, you have to be blind to not see them. Just because they have success now doesn't mean they will have it 5 - 10 years down the line. Tech moves quickly, and they aren't moving fast enough.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Why wouldn’t you have otherwise? Just curious.

Apple tv channels are a One click subscription, no apps to download, no account email and password to set up, multiple channels plus iTunes movies and tv shows all in one app, i find it much more convient.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.