Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released iOS and iPadOS 14.5.1, minor security updates that come just a week after the release of the iOS 14.5 update. There is also a companion watchOS 7.4.1 update for Apple Watch and an iOS 12.5.3 update for older iPhone and iPad devices that don't support Apple's latest operating system versions.

iOS-14-on-iPhone-feature-emergency.jpg

According to Apple's release notes, the update fixes a bug with App Tracking Transparency that may have prevented some users from receiving prompts from apps.
This update fixes an issue with App Tracking Transparency where some users who previously disabled Allow Apps to Request to Track in Settings may not receive prompts from apps after re-enabling it. This update also provides important security updates and is recommended for all users.
Security notes for the release indicate that it addresses a memory corruption issue and an integer overflow in WebKit that could both be exploited using maliciously crafted web content. Apple says it aware of a report that these issues may have been actively exploited, so users are advised to upgrade immediately.

The iOS and iPadOS 14.5.1 updates can be downloaded for free and the software is available on all eligible devices over-the-air in the Settings app. To access the new software, go to Settings > General > Software Update.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS and iPadOS 14.5.1 With Fixes for App Tracking Transparency Bug, WebKit Security Issues

Last edited:

aesc80

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2015
So many beta updates, and this one was completely missed.

Granted, this one was easy to miss. User turning off tracking permissions and never getting updates after turning it back on? If it automatically dismisses permissions ... maaaaaybe this is a "believe me, you want it like this" feature? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DoogH

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2011
So many beta updates, and this one was completely missed.

Granted, this one was easy to miss. User turning off tracking permissions and never getting updates after turning it back on? If it automatically dismisses permissions ... maaaaaybe this is a "believe me, you want it like this" feature? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Very few apps bothered updating to the new API during the beta, so it wasn’t easy to test.

Baff

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2008
I feel like I was ripped off by Apple! I was really looking forward to telling all of my apps not to track me!

• Haha
Reactions: Luke MacWalker

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I’m updating. Ever since 14.5 my phone feels slower opening folders/apps. Had no issues during beta but official release is troublesome. Shouldnt be experiencing that on a 12 Pro Max after only 5-6 months.

• Wow
Reactions: JosephAW

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
And, it still isn't working.

**Edit: I take that back. Most apps are now asking. I guess I jumped the gun because the first app I checked was Facebook, which is unsurprising that it hasn't been updated yet to comply.

thawk9455

macrumors member
May 2, 2013
Uh, maybe mention the security fix that is included in the updates they released for iOS, iPadOS and macOS too as that's potentially more important than the bug fix...

"Processing maliciously crafted web content may lead to arbitrary code execution. Apple is aware of a report that this issue may have been actively exploited".

In other words, potential zero-day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.