Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Well that took like an hour to install on my iPhone 7. Grumbles.
Right. Mine too and then it was very slow until I locked the screen and unlocked then everything was fine.

Do me a favor. Shut your phone off all the way. Turn it back on. As soon as it boots up is it very slow and laggy and apps will open to the spash screen but never open and then crash and cellular won’t connect? But as soon as you lock the screen and reopen everything speeds up and goes back to normal? This is what mine did after this update. Pretty annoying.

**maestro**

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2018
For those stuck on "Checking for Update", I have NO idea why, but this worked for me now...

- Long hold ‘Download and Install’
- When downloaded, force close Settings app
- Open the Settings app again
- Rotate to landscape view
- Go to ‘Software Update’
- Click Install

flitter

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2008
I presume everyone saw that you need to change the language to a different one then try the update again. You can change it back after it's installed. It seems to be something specific to the English (Australian) locale

Reactions: Diesel79

eunosii

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2016
For those stuck on "Checking for Update", I have NO idea why, but this worked for me now...

- Long hold ‘Download and Install’
- When downloaded, force close Settings app
- Open the Settings app again
- Rotate to landscape view
- Go to ‘Software Update’
- Click Install
Confirming this worked for me, thank you!

Reactions: Diesel79

WildstarBR2020

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2020
This update has slowed down my back up iPhone 7 to a crawl. Anyone else’s performance severely impacted? Its super choppy, very noticeable and not normal.

Edit: Ok after about 15 min of leaving it alone, everything is back to normal. Very strange. I have not had a problem like this in years and I have had the iPhone since the beginning. Must have been running some kind of background task after installation.
I think it’s normal. iOS reindexes in a software update, the iPhone becomes sluggish, but it’s temporary.

robotica

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
I think it’s normal. iOS reindexes in a software update, the iPhone becomes sluggish, but it’s temporary.
This was not normal lag, It was extreme. I have had iPhones since the first one so I know what to expect. Still happens for 5-10 min after a cold boot. Somethings not right with it on the iPhone 7. A few other people reported similar things in this thread also. Works fine on all my other devices. I can live with it as it’s just a back up phone but I am sure it will be resolved in a future update.

jfenow

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2015
same on my 12 pro max
except it’s stuck at

View attachment 1769318
the 6s work phone had no problem
Not sure if it will help in this instance, but in some updates where it gets stuck, if you turn off your passcode it works. It worked for me in a previous update. I always turn off my passcode now before an update. Maybe it’s the same issue here.

Last edited:

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Something changed with iOS 14.5.1 when updating from your computer from an IPSW file.
I live in a rural area and there is only electric and cellular data. I connect my computer via usb hotspot and it works well.
My normal procedure is to:
Download the IPSW file using my hotspot data,
Open iTunes and hold the option key and choose the file.
Let iTunes talk to Apple's servers to verify that it will install
Once it's done installing my iPhone is up to date. Always worked fine.

Not this time, it all started okay until half way with the install on my iPhone the computer said it needed internet to continue and the install failed. Obviously while the iPhone is installing the hotspot is no longer working.
What?!? Does Apple assume that everyone in the world has WiFi at home?

Starting over, I had to borrow another iPhone and turn that hotspot on and connect my computer to that.
Then all went well and half way thru the install it accessed the internet and completed the install. Whew!

What do other people do who have no internet at home and are trying to install an update and don't have another phone to tether hotspot. Apple needs to have all the verifying done ahead of time or use cellular data for updating. Insane.:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.