Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

152603-iphone_sdk_4_beta.jpg

Alongside Apple's media event today to introduce some of the features for its upcoming iPhone OS 4, Apple has posted iPhone SDK 4 Beta to its developer site to offer developers the tools necessary to implement the new features. Apple has also posted a number of developer pages highlighting changes in the new version of the operating system.

Apple notes that there are over 1,500 new APIs available in iPhone OS 4, including access to the Calendar application, in-app SMS, access to photos and videos in users' Photos libraries, full control over video playback and capture, mapping improvements, and incorporation of Quick Look functionality for previewing documents. Also included is Apple's "Accelerate" functionality, which provides access to a iPhone-optimized complex mathematical functions such as vector and matrix factorization, array multiplication, and computation of simultaneous linear equations.

Other major features we've covered are summarized below:

- Apple Announces Multitasking in iPhone 4.0
- Apple Introduces iAds Mobile Advertising Platform
- Apple Introduces Game Center for Leaderboards and Achievements
- iPhone OS 4 to Bring iBooks to iPhone and iPod Touch
- Apple Enhances Email and Enterprise Features in iPhone OS 4

Article Link: Apple Releases iPhone SDK 4 Beta to Developers

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Very tempting, must resist urge to upgrade so iPhone can remain unlocked...

Comment

autumnmike

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2005
could anybody tell me what ipod out is? could it be the rumored apple interface that gets pushed to external devices. aka an ipod interface pushed to a car stereo? please, maybe??

Comment

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I hope some developers can brief us with unannounced features. So far Apple only paid attention to the major changes.

Comment

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I'm curious about the quicklook feature for previewing documents.

I thought the iphone OS had no centralized document storage area, so where are you going to see a list of documents that you can then quicklook at??

Comment

terrymr

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2006
Does the beta include OS images for iphone / ipad or just an updated simulator ?

Comment

hiimamac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Boston
Very tempting, must resist urge to upgrade so iPhone can remain unlocked...

Or until they can jb it.

Anyway, I want ABC and networks/TV apps for th iPhone. Hope they don't hold bac just to get you to buy an ipad?

Also. My iPhone is the 3G 1.5 years old. How can I tell what bootrim I have? This is important if you want to upgrade to 3.1.3. Would like a 3GS but if it can't be jb, unlocked, why bother. To many great non apple storecapps out there. Peace.

Comment

dawnraid

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2007
Downloading now, disappointing that multi tasking is only for 3GS and 3rd generation touches and above.

Comment

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
And not a word on a common user data directory that would be easy to sync and share data between apps.

Guess we're still in the 'every app has to figure out how to sync data itself' stone age of apps.

Comment

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
No multitasking for 3G iPhones??? WTF lol, well that should piss off plenty of people!!

iAds...no thx, this type of update is just adds to the decision to move to a different phone. At least my 3GS will be worth a lot on Craigslist with all the 3G people hosed.

Comment

Mastidon

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
Folders

Got it installed on my 3GS but can't figure out how to make a folder yet

Comment

natvalente

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2010
Does anyone know

does anyone one have an idea for when the new iphone is going to come out? cause ive got a 3g, and i dont want to get a 3gs just to find out a newer model is going to come out

Comment

alm99

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
Got it installed on my 3GS but can't figure out how to make a folder yet

Don't you have to hold the icon till it wiggles and then drag other icons over top of the one and then it makes the folder?

Comment

tennyson24

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2008
Can I just download the torrent or does my Iphone have to be registered in the dev account?

Comment

Gazerbeam

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
does anyone one have an idea for when the new iphone is going to come out? cause ive got a 3g, and i dont want to get a 3gs just to find out a newer model is going to come out

I'm in the same boat...just tell me when the next gen phone comes out. I'm limping around here with a broken earpiece (speaker phone or headphones only for calls), a broken proximity sensor and ambient light sensor too. Not to mention the fact browsing the web on the 3G is painfully slow...

They better not drag this out until the fall...

Comment

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA
I'm in the same boat...just tell me when the next gen phone comes out. I'm limping around here with a broken earpiece (speaker phone or headphones only for calls), a broken proximity sensor and ambient light sensor too. Not to mention the fact browsing the web on the 3G is painfully slow...

They better not drag this out until the fall...

Slow 3G browsing is probably not to do with your phone, more likely your location. My 3G is fast enough that I turn wifi off....

edit : I misread your post, I now see you meant on the 3G [phone] not on 3G [network]

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.