MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside OS X Yosemite, Apple today released iTunes 12.0.1, a revamped version of iTunes that's been designed with OS X Yosemite in mind. iTunes 12.0.1 can be downloaded from the Mac App Store and is available for both Mavericks and OS X Yosemite.

iTunes 12 offers an elegant new design that incorporates translucency to improve depth. It also has a streamlined toolbar that aims to give users more room to experience content, and it melds the iTunes Store with the Library, making it easier to navigate between personal collections and what's available in the store.

itunes1201.jpg
There are dedicated icons for music, movies, and TV shows, and Recently Added albums, movies, and TV shows are displayed at the top of the library for easy access.

iTunes 12 also includes support for several iOS 8/Yosemite features, including Family Sharing, and it brings improved playlist editing as well.

Apple has also released Security Update 2014-005 for OS X Mavericks.

Article Link: Apple Releases iTunes 12.0.1 Alongside OS X Yosemite

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Nice new look but the problem with iTunes Match still exists and where my iPhone is not appearing on iTunes. I wonder when they are going to work on glitches more and less about looks or just both.

Comment

Sema

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2014
Anyone knows how the redesign will look on mavericks? I'm a bit apprehensive.

Overall, it looks very similar to Yosemite version. The top bar controls look a little bit different and that is it.

Screen Shot 2014-10-17 at 2.33.56.png

Comment

movieator

Contributor
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
Well, all my playlists are gone.

That's cool, iTunes 12. That's cool.
Actually, unlike previous versions of iTunes, this one seems to force a clean install.

Last edited:
Comment

philfry

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
So I guess this means no more iTunes update for 10.6.8. This will finally put the nail in the coffin of the 2006 iMac.

Comment

Black107

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2009
Well looks like Apple finally killed off the sidebar for good now. Good luck finding anything.

Comment

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Well, all my playlists are gone.

That's cool, iTunes 12. That's cool.

Playlist is still there on the top by My Music now under Playlists they did not remove that.

----------

Well looks like Apple finally killed off the sidebar for good now. Good luck finding anything.

It is not so hard to find the sidebar just go under playlists.

People need to stop complaining before even trying to play around with some of the new features. Seriously, is everyone who has any Apple hardware 12 years old?

Comment

arpi

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2014
A previous itunes restore will not work, so if u plan to restore the decent previous version (11.4), do not install this one. The previous version will freeze on launch, even after freshly installed form dmg.

Also wtf is with the red icon? These colors are picked by a 2yo old?

Comment

Black107

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2009
It is not so hard to find the sidebar just go under playlists.

People need to stop complaining before even trying to play around with some of the new features. Seriously, is everyone who has any Apple hardware 12 years old?

iTunes is nothing more than an iOS device manager and Movie server (for AppleTV) for me at this point. Services like Spotify have all but supplanted it for my music listening purposes. I'm totally open to using new features, but to reference others in this thread, they basically have been adding a new coat of paint and changing the window dressings every year.

I suppose the new design is "cleaner", but whatever. I just tried plugging my phone in and the sidebar appears when I click on the little phone icon so my primary concern is relieved. Just wish they would actually give the app the entire overhaul it needs instead of doing minor pruning and painting here and there.

Comment

Ice Burgh

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
Close minimize maximize buttons

Are anybody else's buttons colored when the graphite option instead of blue is selected in appearance preference pane?

Comment

arpi

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2014
Next "repaint" for the itunes will be: white background with white text, but a plain red square as icon.

Comment

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2011
Is it just me or is there something seriously wrong here considering that one of these operating systems is just five years old, made by Apple and still considered to be the best OS X by many, while the other is 13 years old, made by Microsoft, and has been declared dead even by them?

https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=505257&d=1413502504

Attachments

• itunes.png
    itunes.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 27,297
Last edited:
Comment

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I have to say, I like the improvements to the sidebar and the customisable tabs. So far the flow has been improved a little bit, that’s not actually so bad.

I am annoyed by the slimmer tool bar though. It happened twice already that I accidentally clicked on the volume slider when I tried to drag the window.

Also, why no translucency here?

Comment

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York
Are anybody else's buttons colored when the graphite option instead of blue is selected in appearance preference pane?
Yes. And if you select graphite, iTunes will have the traffic lights instead. Also, sometimes the fullscreen button will be the correct color, but the other buttons will be colored incorrectly.

Comment

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
Got an annoying issue where app updates in iTunes (12.0.1) don't show the update text - they are just blank!

Yep! I have the same problem! And, btw, it wasn't like this at first. I don't know what causes this, but if I remember correctly, this started after installing PB5 or PB6.

----------

Browse around a bit more. Everything's actually very cleverly organised now. My first impression was wrong (I wanted everything to be the same as before, sidebar included), but after using it a while I really prefer the new design and layout! :)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.