Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

newitunes122logo-250x245.jpg
Apple today released a new version of iTunes, iTunes 12.5.1, which is available for OS X El Capitan and macOS Sierra users. iTunes 12.5.1 introduces a new Apple Music design, bringing Apple Music on the desktop in line with Apple Music on mobile devices just ahead of the release of iOS 10.

The update also brings macOS Sierra-specific features including support for Siri, allowing users to ask Siri to play songs on machines running macOS Sierra, and it includes support for Picture-in-Picture, another new Sierra feature.

iTunes 12.5.1 can be downloaded immediately from the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store.
Now with an all-new Apple Music design which brings greater clarity and simplicity to every aspect of the experience.

This update includes support for iOS 10. It also adds enhancements designed for macOS Sierra including:

- Siri. Play music from your Library and Apple Music using your voice. Just ask Siri.
- Picture-in-Picture. Watch videos as you multitask and use different apps. Your video floats above your desktop in any corner of the screen.
While iOS 10 is being introduced today with an all new Apple Music experience that focuses on a cleaner look and easier to use interface, macOS Sierra will not be released until next Tuesday, September 20.

Article Link: Apple Releases iTunes 12.5.1 With Revamped Apple Music Design

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Looking forward to an Apple Music app for macOS next year.

There's no reason why iTunes should still be around as the bloated everythingware that it is.

The App Store could manage iOS apps and syncing. iCloud already does backups but for the sake of those who want to plug in, macOS could handle the backup.

For those who still want to buy music rather than stream it, they'll have Apple Music like everyone else but next to each song and album will be a buy button. It'll certainly entice them to pay the $9.99 and get all you can listen to for one flat price.

All that is remaining is a dedicated Movies/TV app for iOS and macOS. Maybe a deal with movie and tv studios for a streaming video service like Apple Music will be reached for WWDC 2017 and we can move on from storing huge libraries of movies and tv shows on our computers and just watch what we want to watch, when we want to watch it.

Last edited:

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
And it's broken. I tried to watch a TV show and movie to try PiP, it forces me to accept new terms, and when I do it brings me to an "Item Not Available" page.

Edit: All of the store content is broken for me.

Reactions: AleXXXa and tonyr6

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Like previous updates, Apple makes changes for the sake of making changes.

Recently Added: Was is necessary to add when it was recently added? The text is huge taking up unnecessary space. There should be an option to remove the titles.

Airplay/Speaker Selection: I think this was done to give the allusion or advertise the fact that you can play media to various speakers (like a Sonos) even though it was always there, you just had to press the Option or Command key while clicking. I don't necessarily have a problem with this, and perhaps it's a bug, but the volume for all speakers sometimes matches the volume set in iTunes so if you're playing through AirPlay, you have to check or you'll be blasting at max volume. The Volume for the AirPlay speaker should always revert back to the last volume used, this was not a problem with previous versions of iTunes.

Playlist: Seems to still be broken. Sometimes they're all collapsed (as they should) sometimes they're all closed which is a nuisance when you have to open them.

Last edited:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Just installed the update.

I don't suppose there is any way of removing the rounded corners from the album covers, or changing the artist images/icons from circular to square in the main list?

Yeaaah!! I'm so pissed about this on iOS 10

This is actually one of the few changes I love about the new Music and iTunes. I think they look great and blend in beautifully with the rest of Apple's OSes, which contain more rounded corners than ever now.

And considering his love for rounded corners, this is something I think Steve Jobs would have actually allowed. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: NervousFish2

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Crashed when I played a song...hmmmm

I don't like the new UI, but it matches iOS 10 I guess. I liked the color-matched background and the dropdown for TV shows so that I saw 2 columns instead of one when running at 1440 x 900

Reactions: LeadingHeat

snakes-

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
where can i get manually download links for the ipsw ios10 later ? when download servers are overload it will stop the update. use download manager and manually download are better.

bu i don't know where i can get the links

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Hopefully this update will solve my new problem of iTunes deleting my playlists when trying to sync my iPhone...

Reactions: rbonzer

LinkinJunior

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
No windows update yet.

Also, don't really need ratings. I remember how obsessed i got over rating all my music from 1 to 3 to 5 stars. too much work.

Reactions: ipedro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.