Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

catchbar

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2005
mine is working INFINITELY better!
My speed was awful recently-this makes everything better!

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Installed nicely. No problems whatsoever, although I can't really say that I notice any difference in either direction, to be honest.

BearRanger

macrumors member
May 23, 2005
Deep in the Woods
Rye Brye said:
Dashboard was cool for 5 minutes after I loaded Tiger. Then I realized how much CPU those little buggers use...

Needless to say, I will not be loading these new widgets on.

Widgets take up memory, but unless I'm mistaken they only use CPU cycles when the Dashboard layer is invoked. Recent updates have fixed a number of memory leak problems I used to see with some widgets. Nowadays I have no issues with Dashboard.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
New Feature

The "Architecture" has gone from the Info page on Applications, replaced by a line that states either:

Kind: Application (PowerPC) or
Kind: Application (Universal)

I guess this is better than the Architecture: PowerPC, Intel we had before.

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
27Mb download for my pb in sig...

very slow startup, but now things seem really nice. as FireArse said, dashboard seems quicker

macbook pro's look spiffy btw...although im stuck on this dented pb for at least another 18 months!!!

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
The Calender widget got new looks + new Google widget

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 160

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
FireArse said:
just wanted to let y'all know - I dont have this.
Hmmm... I'll reboot again to see if it goes away. Very odd. I don't remember if I had UNO installed or not on this machine.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
ITASOR said:
Mine's not like that either.

Nor for me. So far, all I've noticed is that the Architecture line has gone (as mentioned above), there are new widgets as Steve announced this morning, and there is now a message about licensing in Software Update.

ppnkg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
UK
Megatron said:
works great on my ibook 12" 1.33 GHz. Installed smoothly, rebooted, repaired permissions, and everything seems to be working great.

May I ask why you repaired the permissions?

Well, it works ok on my mac. After restarting, I got a question whether I wanted systemuiserver to update something- I answered 'change all'. First thing I did was to disable a ton of widgets. But I can't notice any difference in performance etc.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
yojitani said:
It doesn't say on any of the info sheets, so does anyone know if this fixes the fan problems on PM G5's? MAJOR annoyance for me with 10.4.3...
I hope it fixes that chirping problem, although I haven't heard that in a while (maybe I'm used to it).

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Ok did anyone else get the Mac OS X Start Up Assistant after installing 10.4.4?

How odd:confused:

qwf

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2006
what about the lines issue?

Hey, PB 15 owners (new high definition screen model), does the update fixes the "lines issue"?

LawHog

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
Lacero said:
Hmmm... I'll reboot again to see if it goes away. Very odd. I don't remember if I had UNO installed or not on this machine.

That's the problem, Lacero. I had Iridium (another brushed-metal-and-pinstripes-remover) installed before the update and I ended up with the same problem. I uninstalled Iridium and now the Spotlight portion of the menu bar is back to normal. I guess those of us who prefer a unified GUI will have to wait for Iridium or UNO to come out with a 10.4.4-compatible version.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
BearRanger said:
Widgets take up memory, but unless I'm mistaken they only use CPU cycles when the Dashboard layer is invoked. Recent updates have fixed a number of memory leak problems I used to see with some widgets. Nowadays I have no issues with Dashboard.

Widget memory gets "fat" for some reason after a software update that requires a restart. If you quit the dock or just restart your computer again, you should see your widget memory drastically reduced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.