Apple Releases macOS Mojave 10.14.2, Resolves 2018 MacBook Pro Issue With External Displays and Other Bug Fixes

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 5, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released macOS Mojave 10.14.2, the second update to the macOS Mojave operating system that first launched in September. macOS Mojave 10.14.2 comes three weeks after Apple launched macOS Mojave 10.14.1 with Group FaceTime support and new emoji.

macOS Mojave 10.14.2 can be downloaded by going to the "Software Update" section of System Preferences, a new installation method that was introduced with the Mojave update.

[​IMG]

The 10.14.2 update introduces performance improvements and bug fixes for issues that weren't addressed in macOS Mojave 10.14.1. There were no major feature changes discovered during the course of the beta testing period.

macOS Mojave 10.14.2 release notes:Adds RTT (real-time text) support for Wi-Fi calling.
    Adds a menu item to News for opening a story in Safari.
    Resolves an issue that may prevent iTunes from playing media to third-party AirPlay speakers.Enterprise-related:
    Allows administrators to enable FileVault via MDM for mobile accounts and users created by MDM.
    Allows users to reset their login password at the login window when that password has expired via a password policy.
    Resolves an issue that prevents displays from working when connected to MacBook Pro models introduced in 2018, if certain third-party USB graphics devices are also connected.Additional details on the macOS Mojave operating system can be found in our dedicated Mojave roundup.

Article Link: Apple Releases macOS Mojave 10.14.2, Resolves 2018 MacBook Pro Issue With External Displays and Other Bug Fixes

2. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Hope this fixes my MacBook Pro freezing on login after rebooting...

3. macpeach55 macrumors 6502

macpeach55

I'll give it a week, see what the general consensus is, and if positive start the upgrade on my Macs from High Sierra.

4. pallymore macrumors regular

pallymore

upload_2018-12-5_13-24-50.png

Waiting for it to show up -_-

=== EDIT ===

It showed up 5 seconds after I posted this. Updating now...

5. jeme macrumors regular

Anyone have a link to the update? No showing up for me. Please and thanks!

6. StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

Just wait, it will. I checked for update and nothing showed up, tried again about 5 minute later, and it showed up.

7. Oliveira_Salazar macrumors newbie

You won't get a general consensus because Mojave has been rock solid since day one. There's nothing to talk about. The only few reactions are complaints, obviously.

8. StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

Same story, since the 10.5 (that was my first Mac OS version, ever). No matter how good and stable the release is, there will always be one portion of people, that will claim it is the worst release ever.

This desert thing literally flies on my ancient 2012 machine. I am loving it. Aside from this weird mouse selection bug that annoys me, everything is rock solid and buttery smooth.

9. jeme macrumors regular

Still nothing, anyone have a link - I know it is on Apples site - I just can't find it. OK thanks!

10. Populus, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018

Populus macrumors 6502a

Populus

Hopefully this update will fix the sluggish and not smooth behaviour of UI interface on dark mode.

You can try it if you use a notebook like a retina MacBook, retina MacBook Air, or a retina MacBook Pro. Just open more than 5 windows of Finder on the main desktop, for instance, and Safari in full screen. Now move with three-finger gestures, between spaces left and right, on both clear and dark mode. Once you switch to dark mode, the UI becomes sluggish and stutters. This doesn't happen on iMacs (tested on several Macs by myself).

11. ScottishDuck macrumors 6502a

ScottishDuck

softwareupdate in terminal has it available fyi

12. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

13. StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

Why, Apple, just...why you don't make these cogwheels animated?

Please... :'-( Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 7.45.09 PM.png

14. iOS Geek macrumors newbie

I've had a battery issue lately. I don't usually shut off my MacBook. Just close the lid to put it to sleep over night. When I open it up in the morning, I have been having to charge it because the battery drained overnight. (Usually 20-30%). If it was a software bug for whatever reason, we'll see if this fixes it! If not...gotta keep trying to narrow down a cause!

15. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

It didn’t.

16. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

FYI, my mid2012 15” unibody MacBook Pro rebooted 5 times during this update install. One of the reboots (the 3rd) involved an EFI/firmware update of some kind.

17. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

I'd like it if Apple fixed the non-animating checkboxes, radio buttons, etc. first.

18. deebinem, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2018

deebinem macrumors member

deebinem

I'm wondering if this update will finally be the one to get me to update from Sierra? I'm on a mid 2012 MBPR and not sure if I should make the jump, especially hearing some issues are still lingering. Anyone want to weigh in on this?

19. VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

The Console application has been crippled since the release of MacOS Sierra. Many bugs are still not fixed. It still feels like an alpha/beta release. The crippled nature of the new Console application suggests that Apple handed off this application to a bunch of summer interns who have never used a Mac before. Apple should take the Console application back from those interns and return development back to their senior engineers.

20. StellarVixen, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2018

StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

I am running Mojave on 2012 MBP just like you, and I am not having any issues. My recommendation based on my experience would be to make the jump, but you are free to do whatever you want.

21. urbanmacUser macrumors regular

urbanmacUser

Finally DisplayLink working on 2018 MacBook Pros and Air and hopefully brings the end to the 10 months of pain for all those that have had to manage Mac's that use DisplayLink.

22. centauratlas, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018

centauratlas macrumors 6502a

centauratlas

Once or twice a week the external display (2004 Apple 30" cinema) won't display when plugged into the 2018 MBP 15". I haven't been able to figure out a pattern, but unplugging the display from the computer and then plugging it back in after a few seconds gets it to wake the display.

The 2013 MBP updated.

23. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

Pretty sure that works as intended. I for one like that they removed those animations.

24. fokmik macrumors 68030

"Hope this fixes my MacBook Pro freezing on login after rebooting..."
    So how you use your mac if it freeze at login? It this a real thing? i never experience this

25. StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

Finished! The update ETA algorithm reminds me of old Windows file copy ETA.

It said ~30 minutes for update, while it really took around 10.