Apple Releases macOS Mojave 10.14.2, Resolves 2018 MacBook Pro Issue With External Displays and Other Bug Fixes

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Marx55 macrumors 68000

Can you describe it? Where does it stall? Have you tried to boot from external disk with just macOS and not third-party applications?

2. Mraccountname macrumors newbie

Why did you type -_-?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 5, 2018 ---
    Why didn't you jut type :( instead?

3. StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

You will never know. :(

4. deebinem macrumors regular

deebinem

I had tried in the past, even after a few updates to HS, and I recall it running poorly, graphically at least. Lots of stutters in Expose as well as switching between desktops.

5. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

Oddly, I remember having that problem, too after I upgraded my 2012 Mini to HS.
    I was working very hard, for days on indexing my iPhoto-Library and all the mails (around a million).
    I could never finish a backup. I believe it was running an fsck on the backup-disk.

I let it run for days (disabled all power-saving) until it finally finished at some point.

Ah, I remember, it was Mail that was killing it. It would literally lock up the computer. I think I stopped using Mail.app for a while until everything settled down.
    Eventually, everything started to work again. I believe it actually took another macOS minor update.

Very annoying.

I'll certainly give it some more time. Sometime next year. HS is super-stable for me at this point and I still get security-updates as it looks like.

6. mediatetv macrumors newbie

Has anyone else had the problem that when you restore any Mojave backup to a Mac using an external backup drive (like a Time Capsule), all your emails in Apple Mail are showing up out of date order in the inbox and in your locally stored mail folders??

This is maddening problem I have been having every time I restore my new MacBook Pro using a Mojave Time Machine backup. Yet when I restore the new laptop with a High Sierra backup, the emails come out looking totally normal. This has gone all the way up to Apple engineering and they want me to turn over my Time Capsule to them for research.

7. techpr macrumors 6502

techpr

Just updated to 10.14.2 using Combo. All working fine.

8. Sasparilla macrumors 6502a

Oh yeah! It really screams for it, I'd love that too.

9. ksec macrumors 6502

Why does that update takes 3GB when the changelog is like 5 lines.

10. imageWIS macrumors 65816

I hope it fixes the Metal 2 GUI issues I'm having on my 2013 MBP... 12.0 worked perfectly, and then 12.1 updated f-ed everything up. I REALLY hope 12.2 fixes everything again.

11. jgbr macrumors 6502a

I’ve noticed the spinning ball when opening finder is still an intermittent issue.

12. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Sounds like you are simply downloading the full installer.

13. madmin macrumors regular

Smooth upgrade from 10.14.1 for me via system prefs, took about 15 minutes.

Screenshot 2018-12-06 at 09.13.34.png

14. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Anyone else's Mac not seeing the update? Late 2016 13" MBP, in the UK.

15. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Are you sure it's not a local issue on your Mac?
    i.e. a login item / script that causes the crash?

16. n-evo, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018

n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

Not sure I follow. It's not like the rest of the window would freeze over in the meantime. The animation finished almost as fast as blinking your eyes and didn't interfere with other window operations. So if you managed to click other checkboxes while the animation of the first checkbox was still in progress, you could. I thought the effect was a nice touch and never ever felt the need to wait it out when quickly clicking multiple checkboxes in a row.

17. buffman31 macrumors newbie

buffman31

I'm still waiting for my 2017 MBP to see this update. Mine still states it up to date with 10.14.1

18. shutterfreak macrumors newbie

shutterfreak

The update from 10.14.1 to 10.14.2 went smooth on my 13" Early 2015 MPB.

However, with the update my screensaver was reset from "Classic" to "Message" and I had to reconfigure the album for the screensaver images.

19. tkermit, Dec 6, 2018

tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

You are right in that they are far from the worst (although the search fields with a centered 'Search' label that would move to the left after being selected were pretty awful). I do think that they make the UI feel a bit laggy though. Like using an old TFT display with a low pixel response time that would result in ghosting artifacts. Technically nothing that would necessarily slow you down, but it can get on your nerves eventually and leave you with a feeling of slightly less control .

To provide another example, Windows used to (possibly still does?) make the background color for highlighted menu items slowly fade in and out as you move the cursor between items. Makes you feel like either the computer or the display can’t keep up with what you’re doing – or, worse, thinks you could use some distraction.

The fact that a check mark appears without any delay after you've checked the box seems like an advantage to me. I don’t perceive any ambiguity that the animation helps to remove, nor does the transition feel startling to me. Or would you also expect individual letters to fade in when you enter some text? That’s just going a step too far, imo, and conveys absolutely no new information to the user about where the letters came from. Another example is the arguably superfluous window opening animation that was added in Lion – although that can be turned off.

This all seems very different from helpful animations that are used, for example, when entering Mission Control. If you’ve ever turned that one off, you’ll notice it can be slightly disorienting, because you’re losing important information about where each window came from. What’s great is that you, as a user, are in complete control of the speed of the animation because it progresses according to the movement of your fingers. Apple does excellent work on these kinds of interactive, interruptible animations that feel completely natural without getting in the way.

20. iOS Geek macrumors newbie

First impressions are that it fixed the battery drain during sleep issue. I just closed the lid of my MB last night instead of turning it off completely (just as I used to before I noticed the drain issue, and that's when I started shutting it off completely overnight). I let it sleep last night and upon opening it this morning, saw only a 2% battery drain from the night. Looks like they took care of it!

21. Howard2k macrumors 68000

Howard2k

Fingers crossed!

22. pallymore macrumors regular

pallymore

23. Val-kyrie macrumors 68000

Did Apple restore the GUI option for font smoothing?

24. joekim1026, Dec 6, 2018

joekim1026 macrumors regular

[UPDATE] nevermind! it's fixed!

hello, after updating this morning, I can't seem to connect my late 2013 MacBook Pro 15 to my external monitor anymore. I've been using minidisplay/thunderbolt to HDMI connect. it worked fine before the update though, anyone else having this issue with any of their laptops?

25. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Does it fix the immobile FaceTime status bar on the upper right of the screen?