Apple Releases macOS Mojave 10.14.2, Resolves 2018 MacBook Pro Issue With External Displays and Other Bug Fixes

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 5, 2018.

1. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

that's in the ballpark at least ;)

estimation.png
    https://xkcd.com/612/

2. StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

Author of that dialog doesn't have any friends.

Wondering if the good old Monte Carlo simulation is still used to make estimates, probably yes.

3. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

I filed in a bug report and Apple developers confirmed it's a bug. I'll take their word over yours if you don't mind. But you're in luck, this update doesn't fix it. They also haven't fixed the blue accent color in save dialog windows when using another accent color like graphite.

The perpetual macOS-cycle of things being broken-fixed-broken-fixed-broken does keep things interesting. I guess.

4. Howard2k macrumors 68000

Howard2k

Yeah we all have that it seems. Sierra was great. High Sierra was significant worse, and then Mojave has basically made sleep pretty useless.

Hopefully someone will guinea-pig this for us.

5. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

They did? Fair enough – guess I'm wrong then. I always considered those animations a bit frivolous. They arguably took an inappropriately long time and forced you to wait for just a moment too long to see the immediate result of your action. They didn't (imo) really help you better understand the action you took, either.

That's good news at least. :D

6. StellarVixen macrumors 65816

StellarVixen

Sounds like GUI is not for you. You need OS which is purely command line, there results are pretty much "instant" when you press return/enter.

7. tkermit, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018

tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

Don't get me wrong, I like the command line. But I'm also a fan of pretty UIs and animations as long as their purpose isn't purely decorative. I.e. they better help me understand what just happened instead of distracting me from what I'm doing. There's something to be said for the discoverability of GUIs, too. Plus, they make it usually easier to undo things and help prevent mistakes. ;)
    --- Post Merged, Dec 5, 2018 ---
    TextEdit windows have a dark background now in Dark Mode (can be disabled). Either Apple changed the defaults or that's new in 10.14.2.

8. keithos27 macrumors regular

Mojave didn't find the update at first... I closed Systems Preferences, reopened, and it found it. My 15" Late 2016 MBP 15" was at 85% battery when I started the update. 2 minutes in macOS rebooted, then just shut down my computer??? I turned it back on via the Touch ID button and it now says 18 minutes remaining on the update... Anyone else experience something similar?

9. xbankaiz macrumors member

xbankaiz

I took the plunge from El Capitan a few weeks back and the constant freezing I was facing during FaceTime had resolved instantly. Oddly, I feel Mojave runs faster than El Cap but it may be because it was a fresh clean install instead of a upgrade.

EDIT: How come even the freaking HomePod update got a front page article on MR but this didn't whereas HomePod is just a limited availability product?

10. iOS Geek macrumors newbie

Ooh so it's more of a widespread issue than I thought...

The weird thing though is that this issue started recently (like within the last week and a half-ish). Up until then, it wasn't giving me any trouble whatsoever.

11. macpeach55 macrumors 6502

macpeach55

Ok, I'll put it another way.
    Unless this update broke something specific that was working before, I'll finally upgrade.

12. deebinem macrumors regular

deebinem

Does Mojave allow a "partial" dark mode, as Sierra does? You know, where everything stays in the "light" mode except the dock and the menu bar, which turn dark?

I'm not into the complete black-out.

13. toomuchsmart macrumors newbie

toomuchsmart

Kind of odd that they're making up these "performance improvements and bug fixes" then. ;)

I upgraded to Mojave on my late 2014 Retina iMac a few weeks ago and then reinstalled High Sierra a week later. Everything was just a bit sluggish for me in Mojave, while High Sierra was and is extremely responsive. Not sure if these "performance improvements" would fix the problems I had, but not sure I want to try again. I didn't really see anything in Mojave that made it worthwhile. In fact, eliminating Jabber support in Messages actually meant lost functionality for me.

14. jazz1 macrumors 68000

jazz1

Is this only for laptops? My late 2015 iMac can't find the update via the app store.

15. neliason macrumors 6502

When I first got a Mac years ago I’d update the day of a release. I won’t do that anymore.

I agree Mojave is good and solid. But I and others definitely experience problems that need to be fixed.

16. chabig macrumors 601

10.14.1 was released on Oct 30. On whose calendar was that three weeks ago?

17. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

At a minimum you should consider updating to High Sierra, which after some false starts has gotten Sierra to a point where it is pretty solid.

Disclaimer: I had all my computer on El Capitan until Mojave came out, at which point El Capitan fell off the Apple-supported list. Now they are all on High Sierra and will likely remain there until that OS falls off support.

18. amaze1499 macrumors regular

amaze1499

19. nycgeo, Dec 5, 2018

nycgeo macrumors member

nycgeo

Pretty lame that I can now add Messages complication to the infographic face, but it won’t show because the watch update isn’t out yet. $1 Trillion buys a lot, but not everything I guess.

20. ThisBougieLife, Dec 5, 2018

ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Welp, my Vega MBP now has graphical glitches. Never happened once before the update. Entire screen flickers every few seconds or so. Doesn't happen much when it just sits there--happens mainly when I type and move the trackpad. This is...fantastic.

Guess I'm returning this.

21. chinito77 macrumors member

chinito77

I usually have to force eject a USB mounted Hard Drive under Mojave. Kinda annoying since my 2018 Mac Mini only has 2 usb ports and I have lots of external hard drives. I'm all for upgrading them but "Force Eject" messages are relics of the Aqua days.

22. balph macrumors newbie

Hidden Dock still popping up whenever you switch to a fullscreen app via Mission Control, and still random sluggish Mission Control animations on my Mid 2015 rMBP whenever there's an external display connected. Pretty disappointed that this stuff still isn't fixed.

23. ProTruckDriver macrumors regular

ProTruckDriver

Updated and running good. Looks like they did some work on Safari in Mojave. Safari is running fast. I've been using Chrome. Looks like I'll be going back to Safari for now. :)

24. applepuree macrumors 6502

applepuree

Do a good backup first. Mojave is unable to complete a backup for me. The amount remaining to back up constantly increases until my backup disk is full, then it crashes. I have had no backup complete now since updating to Mojave. And...as it screwed up my backups, i cant downgrade either.