Apple Releases macOS Mojave With Dark Mode, Stacks, Dynamic Desktop and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 24, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released the newest version of its operating system for Macs, macOS Mojave, to the public. macOS Mojave is a free download that's available today for anyone who has a compatible Mac, and it comes after 11 rounds of betas.

macOS Mojave can be downloaded from the Mac App Store, with a direct link to the download available here.

macOS Mojave is a significant update to macOS, introducing a new systemwide Dark Mode, with Mojave users able to choose between a light theme or the new dark theme, which changes the color of the dock, menu bar, apps, and other elements.

Dark Mode is accompanied by Dynamic Desktops, aka wallpapers that subtly change throughout the day to mimic the progress of the sun across the sky outside.

In the afternoon, for example, the lighting of the Mojave Desert wallpaper is at its peak brightness and the image of the desert is depicted as it would be if you visited it in the daytime with well-lit sand dunes and a bright blue sky.

[​IMG]

At night, the sky in the wallpaper shifts to darker blue to reflect that it's now evening. The shift between daytime and nighttime happens gradually over the course of the day, so you'll see subtle changes each time you look at your Mac's display. It's a neat new feature that can be enabled in the Desktop & Screensaver section of preferences.

macOS Mojave also includes Stacks, a new desktop organization system that keeps desktop files neat and organized to cut down on clutter. The Finder window has been enhanced with a new Gallery View for previewing larger versions of photos and documents, a Sidebar for easier navigation, a revamped Quick Look option for quick document editing, and Quick Actions, so you can do more in the Finder window than ever before.

[​IMG]

Screenshots that you take on the Mac can now be edited using built-in Markup tools and a new management options that also allow for easy screen recording. Continuity camera, a useful new feature, allows you to import photos and document scans directly from an iPhone or iPad to the Mac.

[​IMG]

The Apple News, Stocks, Home, and Voice Memos apps have been ported from iOS to macOS as part of a multiyear project Apple is working on to make it easier to bring iOS apps to Macs, and Apple has introduced several new privacy protections to keep your data safer than ever.

[​IMG]

Apple is also making it harder for websites to track you with a range of new Safari tools, and it's also easier to make and store secure, hard-to-guess passwords for each and every website.

Apple has added an entirely revamped Mac App Store to macOS Mojave that makes it easier to discover apps with a featured section and specific categories for games, creative apps, productivity apps, apps for developers, and more.

[​IMG]

macOS Mojave was initially supposed to include a Group FaceTime feature that includes support for chatting with up to 32 people at one time, but it was removed in the macOS Mojave beta and will be introduced in a future Mojave update.

[​IMG]

macOS Mojave drops support for many older Macs compared to macOS High Sierra and it is compatible primarily with machines manufactured in 2012 or later. A full list of Macs that can run Mojave is below:

[*]MacBook (Early 2015 or newer)
    [*]MacBook Air (Mid 2012 or newer)
    [*]MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 or newer)
    [*]Mac mini (Late 2012 or newer)
    [*]iMac (Late 2012 or newer)
    [*]iMac Pro (2017)
    [*]Mac Pro (Late 2013, plus mid 2010 and mid 2012 models with recommended Metal-capable GPU)

For more details on all of the features included in macOS Mojave, make sure to check out our macOS Mojave roundup.

Article Link: Apple Releases macOS Mojave With Dark Mode, Stacks, Dynamic Desktop and More

2. moabal macrumors regular

3. MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

A very sad and depressing day to all of us who still using an older Mac from 2009, 2010, or 2011...

4. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

Love dark mode. Should have happened years ago!

5. tethead macrumors 6502

tethead

6. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

I tried it for a few hours. Not enough programs support it. Mostly the Microsoft programs I use.

7. cmaier macrumors G4

8. MacGod macrumors regular

MacGod

umm... timed article again? LOL - not released yet here.

9. chrisdazzo, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018

chrisdazzo macrumors 6502

chrisdazzo

Not on Dev portal yet... build # [18A391]. Last beta was 18A389.

10. TokMok3 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I have been waiting for it since it was announced... Ready to start!!!

11. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

Can't provide a direct link to the App Store? As its not showing in a search....

12. koolaid-drinker macrumors 6502

Not seeing it on AppStore or Dev Portal.

13. Windoes macrumors member

Windoes

App Store

14. jmp51483 macrumors member

15. zerolight macrumors 6502

zerolight

Not anywhere yet as far as I can see. MR jumping too soon.

16. lindenpark macrumors newbie

17. metalsiren macrumors regular

metalsiren

If you do a search on the App Store you can find it. It’s just no on the front page yet

18. kguay macrumors newbie

I tried a beta a few months ago, but it was too buggy for me (forget the exact problem) - do things seem to be stable in the GM?

19. macpanzer macrumors regular

20. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I did a fresh install of one of the public betas, it hasn't been a great experience. Now that the GM is out I think I'll have to do another fresh install...

21. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502a

M.PaulCezanne

It sure is. I prefer the form factor of my older MBP and there is nothing slow about it for most common tasks.

Though I completely understand the need to cut off support at some point, it just seems like a waste of perfectly usable hardware.

22. adamjackson macrumors 68000

Sigh. Using "Back to my Mac" one last time to kick off the upgrade on my home iMac so it'll be done when I get home. Unfortunately, upgrading the iMac to Mojave removes back to my mac functionality so this is only fitting :(

23. cmaier macrumors G4

24. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

25. jmp51483 macrumors member

I've been running it on 2 different Macs now (2017 and 2018) running fine.