Apple Releases macOS Sierra Golden Master to Public Beta Testers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 8, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today released the golden master version of macOS Sierra, the newest operating system designed for the Mac. Today's GM update comes two weeks after the release of the seventh macOS Sierra public beta and one day after the launch of the golden master for developers. The macOS Sierra golden master represents the version of macOS Sierra that will be released to the public on Tuesday, September 20.

Beta testers who have signed up for Apple's beta testing program can download a redemption code for the golden master version from the public beta program website.

Those who want to be a part of Apple's beta testing program can sign up to participate through the beta testing website, which gives users access to both iOS and OS X betas.

macOS Sierra is a major update that brings Siri to the Mac, allowing users to conduct voice searches to find files, look up information, and more. New Continuity features include an "Auto Unlock" option for unlocking a Mac with an Apple Watch and a "Universal Clipboard" for copy paste that works across multiple devices.

Deeper iCloud integration makes files stored on the desktop or the Documents folder of a Mac available on all of a user's devices, and Photos features new deep learning algorithms for facial, object, and scene recognition. The Messages app includes rich links, bigger emoji, and "Tapback" response options, and the macOS Sierra update will also bring Apple Pay to the web.

For full details on all of the new features included in macOS Sierra, make sure to check out our macOS Sierra roundup.

Article Link: Apple Releases macOS Sierra Golden Master to Public Beta Testers

2. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

3. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

Obligatory questions:
    1. Is battery life better?
    2. Has wireless connection improved?
    3. Is safari snappier?

4. max.ine macrumors regular

max.ine

5. Wiejeben macrumors newbie

Wiejeben

Can I install the Golden Master without being apart of the beta testing program? If so, will this exclude me from future beta updates, basically acting like I'm running stable?

6. vpatel787 macrumors newbie

Not showing for me in the MAS as well

7. steveing64 macrumors 6502

8. topdrawer macrumors regular

sounds awesome, but i work in an open office, i don't see myself talking to my computer at work or listening to others give repeated commands that siri doesn't understand.

should get some use at home. but not as much.

9. Eorlas macrumors 6502a

You can always enroll, download & install, then go to the App Store section of System Preferences and take your system off the beta update schedule.

10. nortonandreev, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016

nortonandreev macrumors 6502a

nortonandreev

Auto Unlock doesn't work here...

-
    I updated to the newest build and it's fine now.

11. Larsen2k4 macrumors newbie

Larsen2k4

The Golden Master doesn't show up in the MAS.
    You have to go to beta.apple.com and start the download from there. :)

12. RednBlue macrumors regular

RednBlue

Me neither

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Looks like I have something new to download later when I get home. Then a couple of weeks on that and we get to the public release version.

14. mildocjr macrumors 65816

I spent hours finding a developer preview on Google last night and downloading it from France...

[​IMG]

15. revanmj macrumors member

revanmj

I went to Apple Public Beta site, redeemed code from there and got macOS Sierra as a new item on Purchased tab in the MAS. So I guess it won't show up for beta users automatically.

16. carrrrrlos macrumors 6502a

carrrrrlos

17. mdw1 macrumors newbie

Thanks working great...

18. steveing64 macrumors 6502

Same here still not showing in App store but went through beta site and is now downloading as we speak 4.77GB

19. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

I am super excited for sierra and the ability to pop out videos from safari. I listen to videos all day while programming at work, like all the last week tonights. Can't wait to put them in corner and see them too while I work!!!

20. mdw1 macrumors newbie

Look in purchased mine started to download after I used the code you won't see it in updates

21. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

no mas?

22. netsped macrumors 6502

It appears on the Purchased tab just as macOS Sierra. Last year with El Capitan it appeared as OS X El Capitan GM Candidate. Also the download it quite smaller this time, at just 4.77 GB (versus 6.21 GB of El Capitan).

Hopefully it will take less space when making a clean install.

23. Klaatu63 macrumors regular

Klaatu63

Think that MacRumors jumpped the gun. Not available in US NJ even after re-redeeming code.

24. Fljeremy macrumors newbie

It appears there is a new call announce option under Phone, didnt see this previously.

25. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

You guys need to stop downloading so that my download will take less than 43 minutes!