Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, a minor update for the macOS Sonoma operating system that launched last September. macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 comes three weeks after macOS Sonoma 14.4.

sonoma-desktop-wwdc.jpg

The ‌‌‌‌macOS Sonoma‌‌ 14.4‌.1 update can be downloaded for free on all eligible Macs using the Software Update section of System Settings. There's also a macOS 13.6.6 release for those who are still running macOS Ventura.

According to Apple's release notes, the macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 update fixes an issue that could cause USB hubs connected to external displays not to be recognized. It also addresses an issue that could cause apps with Java to quit unexpectedly, and it fixes an issue that could cause Audio Unit plug-ins for professional music apps not to open.

All three of these bugs are notable issues that Mac users have been complaining about since the launch of macOS 14.4. Oracle warned users about the Java issue last week, letting customers know that Apple silicon Mac users relying on Java should hold off on updating to macOS 14.4 if possible, and there were a number of reports about problems with hubs and monitors from customers who had installed 14.4.
This update provides bug fixes for your Mac, including:
- USB hubs connected to external displays may not be recognized
- Copy protected Audio Unit plug-ins designed for professional music apps may not open or pass validation
- Apps that include Java may quit unexpectedly
For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222
More on all of the features that are included in macOS Sonoma update can be found in our dedicated roundup.

Article Link: Apple Releases macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 With Fix for USB Hub Bug

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Does it finally fix "unexpected ejections" of some drive enclosures that maintain a consistent connection on pre-Big Sur Macs and on any Windows PC? Or does that problem continue to persist for some- but not all- HDD & SSD enclosures? Coming up on 4 years with this problem now. Via same cable, hook it to any Mac with macOS older than Big Sur and it is as stable as it can be. Connect to Macs with macOS Big Sur or newer and it can't stay connected for more than about 3 hours, whether I let the Mac sleep or not (it can even "unexpectedly eject" during active file transfers).

Every time they take a crack at USB bug fixes, I hope they finally get to this one. I'd love for the U in USB to mean what it is supposed to mean on my Silicon Mac. I miss "just works" Apple.

Bornee35

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2013
Canada
anyone else have a non-stop issue since 14.0 where subtitles are always on for safari unless toggling prefer closed captioning regardless of current system accessibility settings?

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Does it finally fix "unexpected ejections" of some drive enclosures that maintain a consistent connection on pre-Big Sur Macs and on any Windows PC? Or does that problem continue to persist for some- but not all- HDD & SSD enclosures? Coming up on 4 years with this problem now. Via same cable, hook it to any Mac with macOS older than Big Sur and it is as stable as it can be. Connect to Macs with macOS Big Sur or newer and it can't stay connected for more than about 3 hours, whether I let the Mac sleep or not (it can even "unexpectedly eject" during active file transfers).

Every time they take a crack at USB bug fixes, I hope they finally get to this one. I'd love for the U in USB to mean what it is supposed to mean on my Silicon Mac. I miss "just works" Apple.
I feel like this has been an issue since at least Ventura, which tells me it's not high on Apple's list of bugs to fix (or they can't figure out what's causing it).

tucupeis

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2010
i dont see it..... either its rumor, or they pulled it back...

[edit]. just got it....

Last edited:

iPhonNick

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2019
Netherlands
My M3 is not showing the update, but my M1 is done updating.
Build number is: 23E224
Edit: rebooted my M3 MacBook Air and now it's showing the update.

Last edited:
Reactions: tywebb13

PotentPeas

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2023
i dont see it..... either its rumor, or they pulled it back...
same. no show - in Denmark
I often see this right when new OS's are pushed out. Give it half an hour or so and check again. It seems like their update server mirrors don't all get new updates right at the same time.

Edit: In my case, the update wasn't showing at 1:25 PM (EDT) but did show up at 1:35 PM (four minutes after I posted this comment). Updating now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.