Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

162257-apple_tv_black.jpg

Apple today released a minor software for the new Apple TV, moving the device's operating system from iOS 4.2 Build 8C150 to iOS 4.2.1 Build 8C154. The update is live on Apple's servers and several users have reported seeing the update become available for their Apple TVs, although not all Apple TVs are yet seeing the new iOS version as available for download.

It is unknown at this time what changes are included in the update.

Apple released iOS 4.2.1 (Build 8C148) for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch on November 22nd, but the Apple TV's software update released the same day was only referred to as iOS 4.2 by Apple. Confusing things further is the fact that the Apple TV reports the previous software version as being "4.1", while we have heard that the new iOS 4.2.1 is referred to as software version "4.1.1" by the Apple TV.

Article Link: Apple Releases Minor iOS 4.2.1 Software Update for New Apple TV

harley3k

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2008
More frequent, minor updates is better in my opinion.
Hopefully this clears up some of the airplay bugs.

Last edited:

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Cool. I guess. Don't have ATV yet, as not available. Anyone know why ATV is not in every Apple online store?

Snowcat001

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Cool. I guess. Don't have ATV yet, as not available. Anyone know why ATV is not in every Apple online store?

Depends on the country you live in, Apple doesn't have the contracts to distribute movies in all countries, so those countries don't have movies in iTunes and no Apple TV.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Apple released iOS 4.2.1 (Build 8C148) for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch on November 22nd, but the Apple TV's software update released the same day was only referred to as iOS 4.2 by Apple. Confusing things further is the fact that the Apple TV reports the previous software version as being "4.1", while we have heard that the new iOS 4.2.1 is referred to as software version "4.1.1" by the Apple TV.
It's easy... it is AppleTV software v4.1.1 running on iOS 4.2.1 (Build 8C150).

You can see this by clicking the center button on the remote when on the AppleTV info screen.

gctwnl

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2005
The Netherlands
How to get Flash/Silverlight streams to ATV?

Is there a way to capture Flash/Silverlight video streams on a Mac and the (e.g. by using HandBrake) convert them to ATV format and serve them from iTunes to ATV?

pctomac99

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2009
I was hoping they would update the low quality netflix streaming problem with the new update, but it looks like they didn't. Nexflix videos keep reverting back to a lower quality after playing back high quality for only a few seconds. They should allow for bigger streaming buffer or something because I wasn't having problems with my Roku on my iternet connection before.

Have they fixed the purchased movies problem yet? You know... the one where you have to wait 2 hours for it to download to watch a "streaming movie" after you purchase it? I wont dare purchase another movie until there is confirmation that they fixed it.

rbgaynor

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2010
Southern California
I was hoping they would update the low quality netflix streaming problem with the new update, but it looks like they didn't. Nexflix videos keep reverting back to a lower quality after playing back high quality for only a few seconds. They should allow for bigger streaming buffer or something because I wasn't having problems with my Roku on my iternet connection before.

Have they fixed the purchased movies problem yet? You know... the one where you have to wait 2 hours for it to download to watch a "streaming movie" after you purchase it? I wont dare purchase another movie until there is confirmation that they fixed it.

I've not seen either problem, Netflix and iTunes stream in HQ and startup quickly (both within a few seconds). Sounds like a bandwidth problem at your end.

albebaubles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Sierra in view

I had this problem too until I quit using Google's DNS Server (8.8.8.8).

jbellanca

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007

I don't think Apple classifies this as a bug/problem, per se. It currently works as they designed it to work as far as the AppleTV is concerned. Remember, the AppleTV is geared (right now, anyway) for streaming rentals and AirPlay-based video since it has limited on-board storage. Purchasing is only allowed now through iTunes or the iPad, and the way iTunes works, you must download purchased content before playing - regardless of where it's being played. The old AppleTV way is out the window now.

veempiire

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2010
:)

same here:):eek:

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
As I was saying before my post was deleted.....

I can watch video on my iphone and send the audio via airplay to an airport express. But I cannot do the same from my macbook.

This is so bizarre that an iphone can do something that a computer cannot.

This is on topic - it is about airplay which is a function of appletv.

Macuserrumour

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hope Apple fixe the output issue via toslink or HDMI - 24 bit / 96 kHz do not work. At the moment apple tv downscale or upscale everything to 16 / 48 kHz. Quite Annoying.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.