Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Releases MobileMe iDisk Application for iPhone

odelay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=320654497&mt=8

First impressions, it seems very cool. You can have up to 200MB local storage, meaning once you've downloaded a file, it appears in "Recents" and is available without having to re-download. It states in Settings/Local Storage that "Audio and video files are streamed and not stored locally".

Browsing seems much quicker than alternative iDisk apps I've tried, QuickOffice/MobileFiles, OneDisk, ReaddleDocs etc.

No advanced PDF features though unfortunately, i.e. no bookmarking, fast-scrolling or go-to-page functionality.

There's also a button next to each file to quickly share it, by opening an email with a link in it, and options for expiration date and password.

UngratefulNinja

macrumors 68000
May 9, 2009
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the post! I wouldn't have seen it otherwise. I'm downloading it right now :)

ETA: It loads way quicker than the mobileme website interface :D

Comment

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
Am I missing something or is there no way to download a specifc file to your phone for quick viewing? I know there's a local storage option but that seems to just keep the most recently accessed 100MB worth of files (or whatever amount you set it to). I've been using MobileFiles and that offers the option to download specific files to your phone.

Comment

odelay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
Am I missing something or is there no way to download a specifc file to your phone for quick viewing? I know there's a local storage option but that seems to just keep the most recently accessed 100MB worth of files (or whatever amount you set it to). I've been using MobileFiles and that offers the option to download specific files to your phone.

No option to download that I can see. It's as you say; keeps the most recently accessed ≤200MB worth of files. This is ample for my needs, but I could see how others might need more storage than this or a separate option to download specific files.

Comment

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
No option to download that I can see. It's as you say; keeps the most recently accessed ≤200MB worth of files. This is ample for my needs, but I could see how others might need more storage than this or a separate option to download specific files.

They need to add that - you should be able to choose which specific files you wish to download to your phone. Shoud be easy enough to add that functionality in an update. Seems like a decent app so far though and you can't beat the price.

Comment

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Releases MobileMe iDisk Application for iPhone

https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple's MobileMe iDisk application for iPhone [App Store, Free], which has been listed as a forthcoming feature since Apple revamped its iPhone feature pages following its Worldwide Developers Conference in early June, is now available for download from the App Store. The application allows MobileMe members to easily browse and view files stored on their iDisk and share files with others via integrated e-mail links.
- View files on your iDisk
- Access Public folders
- Easily share files from your iPhone
- Quickly access recently viewed files
- View iPhone-supported file types-including iWork, Office, PDF, QuickTime and more. (Files larger than 20MB may not be viewable.)
MobileMe iDisk is available for the iPhone and iPod touch and requires iPhone OS 3.0 and a MobileMe subscription.

Article Link: Apple Releases MobileMe iDisk Application for iPhone

Comment

calimed

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2008
Can someone please tell me how this is different from the current MobileMe app that has been available for some time now???

Comment

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
How about you guys link to the original thread that FIRST posted about the release of the app*, instead of making forum members work as free journalists?

*this is the least credit you can give to the OP.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.