Apple Releases New Firmware for AirPods 2 and AirPods Pro

Kvrcko

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2019
i'm sure Apple is not telling the truth because my one AirPods Pro with version 2B588 was updated to 2C54, but the other one stayed on version 2B588 and I don't know why, (i don't notice a difference in anything between 2C54 and 2B588

Jutah

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
i'm sure Apple is not telling the truth because my one AirPods Pro with version 2B588 was updated to 2C54, but the other one stayed on version 2B588 and I don't know why, (i don't notice a difference in anything between 2C54 and 2B588
That's sure. I've been through 2B584 then 2B588 and finally the 2C54.
My guess is that they have removed the 2C54 for whatever reason.

I'm pretty sure that in a couple of week they will release an update.

name99

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
It’s probably something really technical and uninteresting.
Like those made at factory B use battery B, those at factory C use battery C, and the two batteries use slightly different firmware to optimize the battery life/charging. The B FW used to be be used on both models, then Apple realized that for battery C some slight tweak give you 5% longer battery life (or whatever) hence the C firmware.

Kvrcko

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2019
It’s probably something really technical and uninteresting.
Like those made at factory B use battery B, those at factory C use battery C, and the two batteries use slightly different firmware to optimize the battery life/charging. The B FW used to be be used on both models, then Apple realized that for battery C some slight tweak give you 5% longer battery life (or whatever) hence the C firmware.
This one was on firmware 2B588 and now it is 2C54, and the other is not updated.
did you watch this video and here it was able to update from 2B588 to 2C54.

Kvrcko

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2019
This one was on firmware 2B588 and now it is 2C54, and the other is not updated.

I called apple in Geneva they say that the update (2C54) only fixes the products from the start of production in september and october, and in production afterwards the bug is corrected and the version is 2B588 (i think it's a lie).

i have one made in 41 weeks (October) with version 2C54, and another in 46 weeks (November) with version 2B588

you can check production week here

http://www.chipmunk.nl/cgi-fast/applemodel.cgi

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2017
Boston

So in this video it appears that if you hold down the pair button on the case until the white light flashes it will update? Has anyone tried this?
- - Post merged: - -

I've also heard that ANC with 2C54 isn't any better, correct?

Kvrcko

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2019
So in this video it appears that if you hold down the pair button on the case until the white light flashes it will update? Has anyone tried this?

I've also heard that ANC with 2C54 isn't any better, correct?
For me this from the video does not work, for ANC i do not notice the difference.

arfung

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2015
I just tried them after my AirPods updated to latest firmware. I don't think the volume bug has been fixed. When both iTunes and system volume are cranked up playing through my Twelvesouth Airfly Pro and AirPods Pro, the sound was only medium low. This was in my house; on a plane, I don't think I would have been able to hear the music very well at all.

Has anyone got Airfly to test if they fixed the low volume issue?

redneckitengineer

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2017
Tennessee
I just tried them after my AirPods updated to latest firmware. I don't think the volume bug has been fixed. When both iTunes and system volume are cranked up playing through my Twelvesouth Airfly Pro and AirPods Pro, the sound was only medium low. This was in my house; on a plane, I don't think I would have been able to hear the music very well at all.
thanks for trying. I wish they’d fix it

w00dy81

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2019
I’ll tell you what the difference is.

With AirPods in and listening a podcast using the podcast app ask Siri to either turn on noise cancellation , turn on transparency, turn off noise cancellation or turn off transparency.

What will happen is Siri will interrupt the podcast and pause it as normal behaviour however when audio resumes it will only resume in one ear and then after some seconds the other might come back but be out of sync and delayed by a few milliseconds.

I have an open support ticket for this and had mine updated to 2c54 and it fixed it

problem i now have is I had them replaced last week due to the red exclamation error and they came with 2b588 by default and Apple has now since pulled 2c54 so I can’t update to fix my issue until they release another update

Reactions: Kvrcko

Jutah

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012

With AirPods in and listening a podcast using the podcast app ask Siri to either turn on noise cancellation , turn on transparency, turn off noise cancellation or turn off transparency.

What will happen is Siri will interrupt the podcast and pause it as normal behaviour however when audio resumes it will only resume in one ear and then after some seconds the other might come back but be out of sync and delayed by a few milliseconds.

I have an open support ticket for this and had mine updated to 2c54 and it fixed it

problem i now have is I had them replaced last week due to the red exclamation error and they came with 2b588 by default and Apple has now since pulled 2c54 so I can’t update to fix my issue until they release another update
be patient, guess tomorrow or even today they’ll release a new fw.

philoouu

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012

Hello
I had the firmware 2C54 but I got the red exclamation problem (one times out of two randomly Left or Right depending on which AirPod I was taking out first; sometimes the red exclamation mark disappeared immediately sometimes it stayed blinking until I close the case)
Got them replaced by Apple; the staff could not find the issue; tried another case first but eventually replaced both AirPods. Those are on 2B588 and it will not update on 2C54. So as you said, may be this firmware is not available anymore ?
I was wondering now if the red exclamation mark was not caused by 2C54 ? There was may be no reason to change the AirPods after all. But the staff has no idea about my issue; they confirmed they have many issues with AirPods Pro in general.
I cannot find any official explanation from Apple regarding AirPods firmware.

Jutah

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
The forum
Hello
I had the firmware 2C54 but I got the red exclamation problem (one times out of two randomly Left or Right depending on which AirPod I was taking out first; sometimes the red exclamation mark disappeared immediately sometimes it stayed blinking until I close the case)
Got them replaced by Apple; the staff could not find the issue; tried another case first but eventually replaced both AirPods. Those are on 2B588 and it will not update on 2C54. So as you said, may be this firmware is not available anymore ?
I was wondering now if the red exclamation mark was not caused by 2C54 ? There was may be no reason to change the AirPods after all. But the staff has no idea about my issue; they confirmed they have many issues with AirPods Pro in general.
The forum consensus is that Apple has pulled the 2C54 for whatever reason. Today you purchase brand new app with the 2B588 installed with no way to upgrade.

The 2C54 improved a bit the red exclamation issue but it nothing else than a graphic glitch so please don’t waste time going through a replacing.

If your unit is ok in terms of build quality, ANC effectiveness, voice quality during call my suggestion is: keep them!!

No doubt the APP in general have many issues/glitch. Some will be fixed via firmware, many other are design fault so don’t know how Apple can fix them.

Reactions: upandown

w00dy81

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2019
Hello
The red exclamation for me has been around for every generation and replacement I’ve had of the AirPods.
It’s either the software in the AirPods not communicating with iOS properly or one or the other is buggy as hell and we all know iOS 13 is

The forum

The forum consensus is that Apple has pulled the 2C54 for whatever reason. Today you purchase brand new app with the 2B588 installed with no way to upgrade.

The 2C54 improved a bit the red exclamation issue but it nothing else than a graphic glitch so please don’t waste time going through a replacing.

If your unit is ok in terms of build quality, ANC effectiveness, voice quality during call my suggestion is: keep them!!

No doubt the APP in general have many issues/glitch. Some will be fixed via firmware, many other are design fault so don’t know how Apple can fix them.
Software yes is definitely buggy.

What design faults do you think they have?

For me I am also experiencing issues with the large tips when you pull them out of your ears to put them back into the case the silicone top will fold itself and you have to push it over itself to get them into the case, the small and mediums don’t do this I have tried.

maybe they should have increased the thickness of the silicone slightly so they wouldn’t easily pull over itself

the other issue is those large tips also give off a clicking type sound when waking, it almost sounds like it’s the sound of where silicone tip joins into the connector

I have a large in one ear and medium in the other and it’s only the large tip that does this so

Last edited:

upandown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2017
Okay so hopefully someone here can help. I recently purchased the AirPods Pro. Love them. They came with firmware 2B588 which they currently still have. I'm under the impression the latest firmware should be 2C54, via info provided by this site and others. I noticed they wouldn't update while following the plug in/sit and wait directions so I contacted Apple over iMessage. The "person" said 2B588 & 2C54 are the current firmware and they are the same.

Is that true?

EDIT: My bad, I read a post further up. It answers my question. Love this forum!

On a separate note, mine also have a creaky lid, which sound like its extremely common. Do others agree its a fools errand to return to try and get a solid non-creaky lid?

Last edited: