Apple Releases New Firmware for AirPods 2 and AirPods Pro

Mr. Brightsider

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2019
I think the huge reduction in ANC you experimented is somehow related to seal test failing.

Keep the post update after the swapping. I’m curious to know if they’ll give you a white box replacement or new product...
Yesterday I got my replacement pair. It was a white box replacement. It wasn’t exactly a positive experience with the Genius Bar guy. When I got home I could see and feel residual glue on the seems of the left airpod. The seem also looked dirty. Maybe just bad luck. Or maybe a previous returned one. idk.

I returned them today. Got a full refund, also full refund on AppleCare+. I feel relieved.

PFox78

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
My firmware is 6.8.8 it looks nothing like that version!
- - Post merged: - -

When I look at the firmware, it’s not even in that format! It’s just 6.8.8! What does that mean?
It means you have the first generation AirPods, which weren't updated.

Reactions: CarlJ

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
The AirPods Pro I got for Christmas had an older firmware and were perfect. Then they updated shortly after and the left one has never been the same. Tried every tip size and none of them show a perfect seal on the left and before both small and medium worked. I get a low rumble and can hear my heartbeat on the left. Before I noticed my heartbeat and the rumble go away completely. I’ve tried resetting them many times, swapping the same sized tips between ears, tried a mix of sizes, and even tried putting them in the wrong ears.

Guess what? When I put them in the wrong ears, the left one still wouldn’t get a seal but the right one got a perfect seal in my left ear, so it must not me an issue with my ears. Especially since it only seemed to happen after getting the firmware update after the first day of use. Also the same rumble/heartbeat thing was happening in the right ear when the left one was placed in it. Must be a glitch? Anyone else notice this? So annoying.

chris4565

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2018
Don't know exactly when this started but I recently have the problem that often times the functionality that the AirPods info thingy pops up when I open up my AirPods 2 case next to my iPhone doesn't work. Already reset them to no avail. Anyone else also having this problem?

Timo Zikeli

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2019
Wien, Österreich
My AirPods 2 haven‘t updated for 5 days since I have them. I have the iPhone X and even upgraded to the 13.3.1 Beta. I tried all the „tricks“ with case opened, closed, ..., but nothing works. Still have 2A364. Any idea?

pettit03

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2009
My AirPods 2 haven‘t updated for 5 days since I have them. I have the iPhone X and even upgraded to the 13.3.1 Beta. I tried all the „tricks“ with case opened, closed, ..., but nothing works. Still have 2A364. Any idea?
Same boat since Christmas Eve. Left them both charging next to each other overnight and one night with the lid open while charging. I’m just going to use them normally and check again in a week or so.

LOPT

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2019
Have you had any luck? I just got my AIRPOD 2's a week ago. These silly things have sat for hours with no upgrade. Seems like I am missing something. They are plugged in with an apple power supply, apple cord, top open with pods inserted and they are connected to iPhone X via Bluetooth, and within inches the IPX (100% Battery) and NOTHING. Ughh.

Reactions: Timo Zikeli

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I am running 2B588 and find noise cancelling not so dramatic. I understand 2B588 is the culprit. I have reset the APP's and have been patiently waiting as well. No luck.

Jutah

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
The chat sounds like a kind of “creative explanation”. Me, as many other users, have been through all the 2 updates, so the version is clearly not region-based.

Jt69yupper

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2015
The chat sounds like a kind of “creative explanation”. Me, as many other users, have been through all the 2 updates, so the version is clearly not region-based.
I tried to push it and asked the question if the update was serial number based depending on which batch your AirPods were Made in. That didn’t get me anywhere… LOL

It definitely seems like something must’ve been going on

Kvrcko

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2019
I have two pairs of AirPods Pro one is updated to version 2C54 and the other is to 2B588, this one with version 2B588 has been changed at Apple due to charging issues and it does not want to be updated and shows serial number 1 (i am in Switzerland)
I think because of the replacement of Airpods and serial number 1, the update may have been is blocked.

Last edited:

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I have two pairs of AirPods Pro one is updated to version 2C54 and the other is to 2B588, this one with version 2B588 has been changed at Apple due to charging issues and it does not want to be updated and shows serial number 1 (i am in Switzerland)
According to the chat the one with 2B588 is current as is the 2C54 if you buy into that. Did the 2C54 set ever have 2B588 on it?